Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
freund

what is the closest you have ever been to death?

Trying to provide a decent convo to the question, i went up a cable car in spain recently, and it was very windy, the car travelled very very slowly up to a mountain, and all i can say is, i wished i`d been drunk/taken cocaine and holding a pint and a spliff, because i thought that was it.

Also, i had a nervous take off from a plane from malaga on the way back, we were all over the place, cheap flights hey...

I had something similar coming back from Beijing to Paris. It was the worst turbulence I've ever experienced and it must have taken us an hour to do the last few miles. Afterwards I found out that a hurricane had been making its way around Paris and we only avoided it but minutes I'd imagine. Still I wouldn't say it was near death, just bloody scary!

On M1 driving to Milton Keynes. 8:30am and quite busy.

I queue up in the left lane to get off at J14.

There is a car with hazards on behind me, so I switch my hazard lights off.

Next time I look, that car is gone but I see a lorry careering towards me at full speed.

I put my hazards on again, check my options... not many (cannot move into middle lane without reversing or driving into car in front and still taking a huge risk, as cars are driving fast there). So, I go forward as much as possible and brace myself expecting to be flattened by the lorry and say some very quick prayers.

The lorry brakes really hard and half of it ends up on the hard shoulder, using it as an extra brake. A few seconds and squeaks later, I realise that - miraculously - the lorry did not even touch my car (but got extremely close. So much so that I could not see the driver's face).

I think it was my lucky day.

That would have to be when i was a baby, having my booster jabs for Tetnus, polio and Mumps, i can't have these injections as i have an allergy to them. The Tetnus jab could be just as fatal as getting the disease as far as my body is concerned, i can't have Penicillin either as i'm alergic to that as well :(

uh oh not again.. hate it when this topic comes up :P

i should be dead now by so many counts.. heres just a few to warm you lot up..

( 1 ) i was 8 years old, my dad had recently purchased a 4x4 and we were in Norfolk for a Caravan holiday. We were just getting back from a theme park and we were approaching a bridge. Suddenly a car comes speeding out from a t-junction from the right side and loses control heading for our car.. my dad janked the wheel to the left so hard it went on 2 wheels!! the other car went underneath us somewhat. my sister broke her arm from the incident.

in a normal car me and my dad would have died instantly from the probable impact as it wouldn't have gone on 2 wheels, plus then as the bridge so was near the car would probably have gone over.

( 2 ) i was 16 years old, in Dominican Republic after taking my GCSEs. i met some friends over there and we were just about to go to the resorts nightclub. me and this lad hadley went to take the lift which consequently got jammed between the 2nd and 1st floor. we pressed a couple of buttons then the lift suddenly collapsed. we both banged our heads on the roof of the lift as it crashed to the ground floor and some spanish dudes helped us out.

( 3 ) i was 19, and i was in peterborough for the day. travellign back on the A47 i was driving my Micra and having been behind a slow 40mph lorry on a 60mph road after half an hour there was a gap in the oncoming lane. i sped up got to 60 mph whilst trying to overtake the lorry then realised the lorry also speeded up. Some oncoming traffic was fast approaching and i realised i did not have enough speed to overtake the lorry and the car behind had trapped me. i screamed for them to let me in using some hand signals and with about 5 seconds to spare they did.. i swear that lorry tried to kill me with its ego.

anyway essay over :huh:

Jeez samu that was close, we nearly lost you there.

Apparently plane journey disasters are rare, anyone else got a horror story?

Plane journey disasters are rare. The chance of being involved in an air accident is so remote that, in theory, you could fly on a plane every day for 10,000 years before you will crash!

My missus went close. Her heart stopped beating after being anaesthetised for an operation recently. Apparently it took over a minute to get it re-started. They abandoned the op and are intent on having another go soon, maybe, whenever. Trouble is they don't know WHY the drama occurred and all seem to be reluctant to have another go (one of the problems with so many league tables, monitoring of results etc). Hospitals would much sooner you died at home than on their operating tables.

similar to thracians mrs. went to have my appendix out. 20 minute operation according to the dr, 3 hours later (i later found out) i was still there; my appendix had burst (my 'growing pains' of the previous few years turn out to be appendicitis) i heard later that my heart stopped for a while. and i spent the summer of '88 in hospital losing 5 stone due to the nil by mouth. nearly 20 years on i can remember my first meal 3 months after the operation! bloody best food ever!!

similar to thracians mrs. went to have my appendix out. 20 minute operation according to the dr, 3 hours later (i later found out) i was still there; my appendix had burst (my 'growing pains' of the previous few years turn out to be appendicitis) i heard later that my heart stopped for a while. and i spent the summer of '88 in hospital losing 5 stone due to the nil by mouth. nearly 20 years on i can remember my first meal 3 months after the operation! bloody best food ever!!

Good film.

That would have to be when i was a baby, having my booster jabs for Tetnus, polio and Mumps, i can't have these injections as i have an allergy to them. The Tetnus jab could be just as fatal as getting the disease as far as my body is concerned, i can't have Penicillin either as i'm alergic to that as well :(

Hmm I had a similar problem, though my life was not in danger. This multiple vaccination/booster given to me at the age of 6 or 7 *only* put me in a delirious state for just over a week, due to the high fever, and nearly caused me to go to hospital to have half of my right buttock cut off. (or so I am told)

On that occasion, the ice cream just WAS NOT WORTH IT!!! :P

I learnt that I was nowhere near as good a swimmer as I thought I was - Summer 1980 I think

Arrived at the beach with my chums and saw the roughest sea ever - So of course we piled in

We had a laugh in the huge waves but I then found I couldn't get back - The current was stronger than my swimming - I was swimming forward but moving backwards

This particular beach is a cove or bay and is cliff lined - I realise that the current was going to smash me onto the rocks

When I fully realised the shít I was in and resided to my fate the whole scenario changed - Dispite being bounced up and down by the huge waves everything appeared really calm and tranquil - Never had such an experience before or since - I had become totally fearless & oblivious to my surroundings etc

How did I get out? - I was rescued - The beach has a lifeguard post - Although most people at the scene just watched, someone had the foresight to alert the lifeguard

I was dragged out to the next cove and chucked onto a flat rock - I had to make my way up a cliff to get back to a road where I was met by a fire service car which took me to hospital

I had turned a strange shade of blue / purple and had lost most feelings in my limps - My feet were full of gorse thorns from the cliff climb (It wasn't a rock climbing type of cliff - There was a rough path)

I later learnt that a life boat dingy had been launched from a neighbouring bay to rescue me but had overturned in the rough seas - 2 of the medics on board then had to be rescued

Watching Wolves versus Leicester?

The 4-3 lollol

0-6 v leeds in the cup

0-1 v florest last season

last season!!

watching junior lewis trap a ball

watching steve hodge warm up (he couldnt even catch a knowingly tame shot)

when dublin fumbled for blackpools 2nd goal

when venus scored that 30 yarder and winner v swindon in 88, it was so unreal i nearly had a heart attack

the nurse at school lol

I was close to death! When i went on the SKYCOASTER in american adventure!! It drops you DOWN from 200ft in the Air!! And they just give you a rope on your back!! That day i cact my pants! :ermm:

Thousands of people have been on that. How many have died?

When i was in the Forces, we were on Patrol in the Caribbean, and i was my Captains Bodyguard, we boarded a ship we suspected of drug running and all of a sudden all hell broke loose. Not nice i can tell you, luckily they surrendered without anybody getting injured.

I was also in the Falklands War.

Archived