Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox123

Sky Broadband

I decided to change my broadband from BT to Sky Broadband, first 10 days I was well pi$$ed off with it, the connection kept dropping every 15-17 minutes, rang their technical help about 6 times who were a bunch of useless tw*ts and they said it was a router problem!

I did alot of digging on the net to find out if anyone else was having the same problem and the ammount of complaints against the sky technical team was unreal.

In the end all I had to do was turn off UPnP and stand my router up and now i get connection speeds of around 6mbps and the connection hasn't dropped for 5 days!

I decided to change my broadband from BT to Sky Broadband, first 10 days I was well pi$$ed off with it, the connection kept dropping every 15-17 minutes, rang their technical help about 6 times who were a bunch of useless tw*ts and they said it was a router problem!

I did alot of digging on the net to find out if anyone else was having the same problem and the ammount of complaints against the sky technical team was unreal.

In the end all I had to do was turn off UPnP and stand my router up and now i get connection speeds of around 6mbps and the connection hasn't dropped for 5 days!

:o:o:o:o I've just this morning signed up having been with NTL/Virgin Media for the past 7 years.

Yup had it for 3 months. I was fine for ages, but since I've been back it's had problems getting pages up every now and then today!!

But it could just be the fact that my whole system has been unplugged for a month and it's not happy!! :dunno:

:o:o:o:o I've just this morning signed up having been with NTL/Virgin Media for the past 7 years.

You will find this link and forum a whole lot more useful than the sky technical help desk and worth reading!

If sky tell you, you need a new Router its a load of crap, because since I made the changes with the UPnP its been fine!

Agreed the router is crap!!!

I don't think it's the Router as such more the Firmware that Netgear supply, plus the fact that Sky have done their own tweaking so you can't find your username and password which would enable you to either change the router or update the Firmware...there are ways to do it, on the link I posted above but its complicated and sky wont supply the username and password, because changing or doing any updates to the Router or Firmware is in breach of their terms & conditions!!

I don't think it's the Router as such more the Firmware that Netgear supply, plus the fact that Sky have done their own tweaking so you can't find your username and password which would enable you to either change the router or update the Firmware...there are ways to do it, on the link I posted above but its complicated and sky wont supply the username and password, because changing or doing any updates to the Router or Firmware is in breach of their terms & conditions!!

Okay, It's crap with my laptop. I bought the same router over a year ago, and i've got the same problems now, if I use my belkin router I have no issues at all. I have tried the firmware upgrade and tried changing channels etc but it's still poo!!!

I'm still with NTL although I have heard of a much faster option available right now... :unsure:

Well i'm having no problems with my Sky Broadband since I did a little tweaking to the firmware! I've never been in an area to have NTL is it any good?

Didn't realise i'd gone over 500 posts! :D

Okay, It's crap with my laptop. I bought the same router over a year ago, and i've got the same problems now, if I use my belkin router I have no issues at all. I have tried the firmware upgrade and tried changing channels etc but it's still poo!!!

Are you on sky broadband, if so did you 'hack' the Router that sky sent because thats the only way to get your username and password to log onto them!??

I believe there is a 8 day cooling off period so if your not happy with it then tell em to stick it, but after all the initial trouble I had, and tweaking the firmware a little I don't have any complaints about it at present and my downloads are 4 times faster than when I was on BT!

Usually around 6:30 - 7:45 it's a lil slower but thats a dip in the noise margin on your phone line!

I believe there is a 8 day cooling off period so if your not happy with it then tell em to stick it, but after all the initial trouble I had, and tweaking the firmware a little I don't have any complaints about it at present and my downloads are 4 times faster than when I was on BT!

Usually around 6:30 - 7:45 it's a lil slower but thats a dip in the noise margin on your phone line!

If I have any trouble when I get it I'll be in touch if that's ok.

I'm about to swich from Virgin to Sky Broadband as there doesn't seem much sense in paying £18 p/m when Sky do packages for £0/5/10 p/m.

Do Sky provide a Netgear router, as I already have a decent Netgear router - bundled hardware tends to be a bit naff. Orange livebox, for example....

I'd rather keep using what I've got and just pay for the 1010101s through my phoneline.

I'm about to swich from Virgin to Sky Broadband as there doesn't seem much sense in paying £18 p/m when Sky do packages for £0/5/10 p/m.

Do Sky provide a Netgear router, as I already have a decent Netgear router - bundled hardware tends to be a bit naff. Orange livebox, for example....

I'd rather keep using what I've got and just pay for the 1010101s through my phoneline.

That's why I'm changing from NTL/Virgin Media; at the moment I'm paying £25 / month for 4mb, with Sky I'll have to pay a connection fee of £20 and then £5 / month for 8mb although the BT line limits that to 6mb.

To accomodate this I've also had to change to a BT line, I haven't made up my mind whether to opt for BT or Sky for my calls.

You get this with it:

FREE Sky Wireless Router* worth over £50

- FREE 12 months McAfee Internet Security Suite (worth £49.98)**

- Up to 10 Sky.com email addresses

- 24/7/365 Technical support

- Easy self-install or professional home installation option***

- Access to Sky movies, entertainment and sport content

Well, I'm only getting a crappy 0.7-1.5mb download speeds with Virgin at the moment, so I'll be looking forward to something a bit quicker.

I'm getting a new PC too and will be connecting directly to the router, rather than wirelessly - this should make things quicker still.

I'm dreading Sky's customer service line however - if it's the same people that operate the TV service, it'll be staffed by morons.

I'll watch this thread with interest over the next few weeks....

Well, I'm only getting a crappy 0.7-1.5mb download speeds with Virgin at the moment, so I'll be looking forward to something a bit quicker.

I'm getting a new PC too and will be connecting directly to the router, rather than wirelessly - this should make things quicker still.

I'm dreading Sky's customer service line however - if it's the same people that operate the TV service, it'll be staffed by morons.

I'll watch this thread with interest over the next few weeks....

I've come to the conclusion that the 'office based' staff of all these media operations and many other services are all fooking crap.

I'm in the process of:

Having a water meter fitted

Changing my Gas & Electric suppliers

Changing from NTL/Virgin Media telephone line to BT

Changing from NTL/Virgin/Media to Sky for Broadband

And they've all, without exception been totally incompetent

Can someone please help as I cannot be arrised to ring BT at present.

I want to get broadband (opinions on best deals welcome) but I don't have or don't use a phone line at the minute. I am sure there is one put in, as it's a fairly new property and i'm sure when it was built they put a phone line in, but I don't use it.

Do I need to have an active phone line, i.e. pay a monthly rental before I can get broadband?

Cheers

Can someone please help as I cannot be arrised to ring BT at present.

I want to get broadband (opinions on best deals welcome) but I don't have or don't use a phone line at the minute. I am sure there is one put in, as it's a fairly new property and i'm sure when it was built they put a phone line in, but I don't use it.

Do I need to have an active phone line, i.e. pay a monthly rental before I can get broadband?

Cheers

For pretty much every supplier except cable e.g NTL now called Virgin Media

I've just cancelled my Virgin Media telephone and broadband and moved to Sky and had to have a BT line installed (no cost for installation) £11 /month, pretty much the same as Virgin Media charge. See also here

Just to add, I moved my broadband from Tiscali to Sky and it was smoother then a babies bottom. As soon as i got the MAC code, which Tiscali gave within 2 hours, Sky gave me a transfer day and that was that!!

I've had to ring Sky tech services once and it was very good!!!

Archived