Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Knighton Matt

Premium bonds

Am thinking of dabbling with a few investments. Just been checking out www.nsandi.com and like the idea of buying a few premium bonds every month. Has anyone on here had any success with these? I thought this would be a good investment as I'm only 22 and therefore don't have much to invest yet (therefore interest on an ISA etc would be minimal) but by buying premium bonds it'll encourage me to save a bit each month and then when I'm earning more I can start getting involved in ISA's etc.

Anyone else on here hold any bonds? :cool:

Am thinking of dabbling with a few investments.  Just been checking out www.nsandi.com and like the idea of buying a few premium bonds every month. Has anyone on here had any success with these? I thought this would be a good investment as I'm only 22 and therefore don't have much to invest yet (therefore interest on an ISA etc would be minimal) but by buying premium bonds it'll encourage me to save a bit each month and then when I'm earning more I can start getting involved in ISA's etc.

Anyone else on here hold any bonds? :cool:

153211[/snapback]

I had £100 of premium bonds bought for me when i was 5 (33 years ago) and I have won twice £50 and £25, obviously the more you buy the better your chance, but for me it would have been better if my parents had invested elswhere, like in a bottle of whisky that would now be worth several hundred quid!

I had £5 worth bought for my 1st birthday, and have won about £75.  Not enough to retire on, I'm afraid.

153224[/snapback]

For you perhaps!

Some people can make £75 last a long time :cool:

For you perhaps!

Some people can make £75 last a long time :cool:

153225[/snapback]

Seeing as I intend to live until 200 at the very least, my budgeting skills would be severely tested.

What are savings, dont think it is in my vocabulary! All my money or lack of it is in instant accounts, if i did have money to invest I would invest in ISAs. My parents have the maximum amount in premium bonds and they dont get that good a return probs win £300 a year.

All the savings I have is invested in fixed rate ISAs, sure you don't get excessive interest but at least it's secure and your return is guaranteed ;)

• 1 year later...

Going back to this I put £300 in to Premium Bonds last September and a year on I have 'won' diddly squat. I'm thinking of putting a little more aside each month on the basis that I've got to get on to the property ladder at some point although that's looking a distant dream at the minute.

So do I put a little more aside in premium bonds each month hoping the increased capital investment will bring a greater chance of return or go for a different investment vehicle altogether? I already have a mini cash ISA before anyone suggests that as an alternative. :thumbup:

Go for a high-interest mini-ISA as well as bonds and shares (if you have enough money that is).

Incidentally, Alliance&Leicester have a high-interest savings account (10%) if you have a premium current account with them (this also gives 5% interest).

Invest your Money in me, I am a public limited company and I guarantee to give you as much return as Leicester City shares and you all brought them!

I got a tax rebate on mine!

More than I've had in decades from the premium bonds! :(

They have a poor average rate of return - 2.4% or so. They're not too bad an investment if you're a higher rate taxpayer because the return is tax free but otherwise, unless you're in it for a flutter, high interest savings accounts are more sensible.

Archived