Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Fan

Connolly for Wigan?

According to "The People", 'Wigan boss Paul Jewell is thought to be lining up a move for Leicester's £1.5m rated striker David Connolly'

This is quite worrying. £1.5 million for Connolly is quite a fair price considering what we paid for him, but who would we be able to get to replace him for that much money? Hopefully Levein wouldn't accept the offer but I think he would if he was offered that much. You could see how much we missed Connolly yesterday so I think he would be mad to even consider a bid of that much.

So, Do you think CL would accept a bid of £1.5 million for Connolly?

I hope not. On yesterday's performance I'd love to see Elvis and Connolly up front and I think they could do some damage to the opposition.

However, £1.5m is a lot of money and I think the board would take it if it was offered to them. :(

It sounds like speculation to me.

Wigan have also been linked with Dean Ashton, who has at least proved himself as a top flight goalscorer, unlike Connors.

I don't think he'll go anywhere!

It sounds like speculation to me.

Wigan have also been linked with Dean Ashton, who has at least proved himself as a top flight goalscorer, unlike Connors.

I don't think he'll go anywhere!

160336[/snapback]

Yes but Ashton would cost £7.5m apparently and connolly £1.5m, I know who id rather have!

But I do agree with the speculation as the papers just hear they want a striker and then look for strikers who are doing well i.e. Connolly and make the story!!

Yes but Ashton would cost £7.5m apparently and connolly £1.5m, I know who id rather have!

But I do agree with the speculation as the papers just hear they want a striker and then look for strikers who are doing well i.e. Connolly and make the story!!

160337[/snapback]

Exactly, it's the obvious story to make up.

Better not be true :o I'll have to change me username and everything :P;)

It does seem more plausible than a lot of rumours - Wigan need a forward and Connolly certainly has the ability to play premiership football, he also wouldn't cost them a great deal considering their resources.

I'd rather he stayed but i think the board/Levein could be tempted by £1.5m, though i'd push them up to £2m at least, and when you look at the quality that £100,000 bought us in the form of Stephen Hughes, i'd fancy CL to get an adequate replacement in with that much.

Nugent? But he might be woth a bit more now.

I've said all along I'd like to see Derek Riordan here - 1m rated.

160349[/snapback]

Would Nugent want to come here though, surely he's got a just as good, if not better, chance of playing in the Prem with PNE.

1.5M, your having a larf!! Wigan have millions to spend, what with the 3m they got for ellington, and their mega rich owner.

The thing to remember here is, if we did sell, we need to replace him with equal or better. No top striker in the championship will be freed without top dosh, and no good premiership striker will come, without big wages.

So we`ll either need top money, or enough for a jem from a lower division.

£3M or no deal.

If they've bought Henri Camara for £5m they can bump up their offer for Connolly if there is one.

Right now though Connollys contract is up in the summer and its a massive gamble as to if he's going to sign a new one depending on where we are next season. I hope he doesnt go as hes our best chance of consistant finishing, I was speaking to my mate last night who went to Crewe and said Hammond missed 3 chances, Connolly only needs one chance.

If Connolly's contract is up at the end of the season, we would be foolish not to accept a £1.5 million bid. He may well be one of the top strikers in the league, but £1.5 mill is a lot (forget about the stupid figures being bandied about as to how much Ashton is worth, or how much Camara went for).

However, I cannot see Wigan coming in for Connolly. He is, after all, unproven at the top level. They also need someone to replace Roberts in the team (as Camara is clearly first choice). A partnership of Connolly and Camara would not be the greatest (Camara - a selfish striker, partnered by Connolly - also a striker used to being the main front man).

On another note, if Connolly was to go, I don't think Luke Varney would be a bad buy. He looked a good player for Crewe yesterday.

Archived