Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
johnny the fox

Kevin Phillips to get Tom Finney award...

_82425283_kev_phillips_pa.jpg

19 April 2015Last updated at 23:30

Kevin Phillips: Ex-England striker wins Football League award

Former England striker Kevin Phillips was handed the Sir Tom Finney Award at Sunday's Football League Awards.

Phillips scored more than 270 goals during a 23-year career playing for teams including Watford, Sunderland, Southampton, West Brom and Birmingham.

The award is recognition for the 41-year-old's achievements in Football League competitions.

"I'm extremely proud and truly privileged to accept this award," said Phillips, now a coach at Leicester.

Career of Kevin Phillips

Clubs: Baldock Town (1991-1994), Watford (1994-1997), Sunderland (1997-2003), Southampton (2003-2005), Aston Villa (2005-2006), West Brom (2006-2008), Birmingham (2008-2011), Blackpool (2011-2013), Crystal Palace (2013-2014), Leicester (2014).

Honours: Division One winner 1998-99, Golden Boot 1999-00, Championship winner 2007-08, Championship runner-up 2008-09, League Cup winner 2010-11, Championship play-offs 2012-13, Championship winner 2013-14.

Phillips retired at the end of last season having helped Leicester return to the Premier League - the fifth time he has won promotion from the Championship.

He played for England eight times, while his 30 top-flight goals for Sunderland in 1999-2000 mean he is the only Englishman to have won the European Golden Boot.

"I'd like to thank the Football League, which has given me so many fantastic memories during my 20 years as a professional footballer," he said.

"It's all I ever wanted to be. I devoted my life to it and the game has given me so much in return."

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey said: "This award is made to a player that sets the standard for others to aspire to and Kevin Phillips is a worthy winner.

"It is no exaggeration to say that virtually every club in the Football League would have wanted Kevin in their squad at any point in his professional career."

Spoke at length with him at the FL awards; genuinely nice bloke.

Not often I do interviews with someone who'd been on the pop all afternoon, he was slurring a little but still great value

image.jpg

Hey if you can't have an afternoon on the pop as a retired footballer when can you ;)

Hey if you can't have an afternoon on the pop as a retired footballer when can you ;)

Couldn't agree more. He was in a right state at the end of the after party. Not surprisingly he didn't make the after-after party in Shoreditch. However, one football league manager was still there at 3am and he enjoyed the hospitality a lot  lol

Couldn't agree more. He was in a right state at the end of the after party. Not surprisingly he didn't make the after-after party in Shoreditch. However, one football league manager was still there at 3am and he enjoyed the hospitality a lot  lol

You can't kiss and tell Geoff lol;)

Let me guess, Mick McArthy?

Archived