Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

de laet

I like him a lot, and I thought in "that" Man U game he was one of the key players. But since Huth arrived, you can see that he is not mature enough. Personally, I hope he continues to develop, but as things stand, he is a couple of years off being a Premier League defender. That is not to say he won't make it - but for now, we need a new back line  with Huth in the middle of it.

I like him a lot, and I thought in "that" Man U game he was one of the key players. But since Huth arrived, you can see that he is not mature enough. Personally, I hope he continues to develop, but as things stand, he is a couple of years off being a Premier League defender. That is not to say he won't make it - but for now, we need a new back line with Huth in the middle of it.

I agree we need a new back line but I think De Laet and Huth are the 2 players I would keep in it.

If he was playing right back with the Albrighton that's playing now, he would have looked a lot more comfortable throughout the season.

Mahrez can't & doesn't defend. Same as Konchesky looked better with Schlupp in front of him and when Vardy played on the left side, Konchesky got found out.

That being said, I think Konchesky is w4nk!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can people think he was immense?!

The problem with De Laet is he always dives in for the tackle when in reality positioning is more important than tackling. That's Guadiola's philosophy and he proved it works. Pique said that learning that positioning is more important at Barcelona transformed his career.

The first goal - De Laet tries to dive in infront of Drogba to get the ball, misses it, he's now no longer goal side so Drogba scores.

Also when Willian crossed it to Fabregas, De Laet tried to dive in to block the ball and missed it so fabregas had a perfect goal scoring chance but he didn't anticipate De Laet would miss it.

People only like him because he makes tackles, but he sacrifices his defensive positioning to do that. So when he doesn't get the ball, it creates a massive opening in defence (another example is when Ben Mee got passed him into the box at Burnley).

Ah...you saw this too.

Spot on.

Simply because a player looks to be having a good game (diving in, making blocks etc), it doesn't necessarily mean they are defending well.

Huth is a big miss to this side. It's crucial he's fit for Saturday. When a player looks like he's composed and making it look easy, it's usually because he is.

King is a great example of this. You'll rarely see him doing things that 'look great', essentially because he doesn't have to. He does what he does cleanly and effectively.

King would be another big miss on Saturday.

In the same way as Huth makes Wes look a much better player, so does King support Cambiasso.

They rarely get isolated against quality opponents like he did early in the season,right from the first game against Pienaar and Baines.

I don't think anyone is making a case he is top class but some of us think he can hold his own and I thought he was excellent last night.

You are entitled to your opinion even if wrong.!

Only I'm not wrong ...

Needs replacing in the summer imo, we need 2 new RB's and a LB.

This is something we can agree on.

Needs replacing in the summer imo, we need 2 new RB's and a LB.

I would agree with 1 new RB but RDL is more than adequate cover. We're not playing FM if we go and sign too many players there is every chance that we will no longer be playing as a team/squad which is why we have performed well in numerous games.

If you think we do need 2 RB's then we'd need 2 LB's as well, but similarly Schlupp is adequate cover if we were to sign a new one.

I would agree with 1 new RB but RDL is more than adequate cover. We're not playing FM if we go and sign too many players there is every chance that we will no longer be playing as a team/squad which is why we have performed well in numerous games.

If you think we do need 2 RB's then we'd need 2 LB's as well, but similarly Schlupp is adequate cover if we were to sign a new one.

I'd persist with Schlupp myself, take your point about making too many changes at once. Simpson isn't up to it, nothing he has shown has suggested he is up to this level, Konch is out of contract and should go as well, so that's 2 changes that definitely need to be made. As cover I suppose De Laet would do but he's just not impressed me this season at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Always gave him support but that has got to be his worst performance in a city shirt.

We played 4 at the back against a team we should be able to hold our own against but he was certainly the weak link.

His decision throughout the whole game was questionable and can barely think of anything he actually bought to the game to benefit us

Awful player and I gave him the benefit when Mahrez was not supporting him but made no difference when he went off.

New RB is essential if we are playing 4 at the back.

Schlupp was amazing and that's what we need on the right too.

I hope he never plays for us again. He was shocking. Can't tackle, no positional sense, can't pass, no composure. Yes he has pace - should have been a sprinter!

Maybe I'm too sentimental but I never get it when people say things like this? He's been the first right-back we've had in a long time to keep his place for more than a year. He wasn't great today. Everybody knows that. I do feel slightly sorry for him though, he gets no support from Mahrez whatsoever. All the players that surrounded him were not much better than he was. King and Drinkwater never seemed to want the ball off him and Huth was far from his best as well. I think we also overlook the fact that most teams in the league are really threatening down that left-hand side.  

The whole De Laet not being good enough debate is like a complete deja vu of the many negative Paul Konchesky threads that we've had over the years. 

Archived