Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Charity Shop Finds

Whenever I'm on holiday in the UK I scour the charity shops, most especially the CD shelves and see what's on offer. Often, amongst the 99.9% of Robbie Williams, Steps and Greatest Pan Pip Hits there are some real gems. For me it's usually something from times past, an album that I almost bought but never got around to, or something from before I was an adult (Of course I've bought music from the past, but keeping up with the present means not being able to get everything that went before), or often something I had and had nicked/lost/lent out.

Here's some of the gems I got from my recent holiday in the Durham Dales - all for between £1 to £1.50

Tapestry - Carole King. I was aware that this is one of those "albums that everyone should listen to", and I knew the singles of course, so seeing this for a quid I snapped it up and I have to say, it is a fantastic album. Will definitely be one of my chill-out albums of choice.

Mary, Star Of The Sea - Zwan. I like the Smashing Pumpkins and I vaguely recalled hearing some Zwan stuff when they were active and liking it, so I thought whats to lose at £1. BARGAIN! Just as good as Billy's Pumpkin's stuff.

Dig Your Own Hole - Chemical Brothers. I have Exit Planet Dust and Surrender; somehow I missed out on this album that came inbetween. My music collection feels so much more complete now.

Everything Is - Nine Black Alps. Big surprise to see this on a shelf, but I used to own it and lent it to a friend years ago who since claims no knowledge of it. Might as well replace it at £1 and it's for charidee.

The next two are albums that my brother owned when we lived with our parents and so I got to listen to them, but I never bought them myself. Blue Lines - Massive Attack and 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days In The Life Of... - Arrested Development. Result!

I also noticed on shelves some great albums that I would have bought if I didn't already own them, such as Dummy by Portishead and Free All Angels by Ash.

You can often find CDs that were given away with magazines that have interesting compilations. I would never have bought these because I think that the modern music mags are a rip-off, but a quid for one of these is fine (OK, so they were given away "free", so maybe some moral ambiguity there).

Lastly, what always makes me smile is that you occasionally find charity shops with blatently pirated CDs in them (the CD in the case will be a TDK cd with Limp Bizkit written on it) which just goes to show that they really have no idea what their selling and what it's actually worth - which is why you can get some great bargains. :D

Anyone else got any charity shop bargains?

• Like 1

I picked up Boards Of Canada's Geogaddi album from my local age concern a few years back. only for £2 which is strange because they are usually very clued up on their pricing there (apparently it was priced at £2 because it was a double album, fools, it's a triple).

wherever I am I spend all my time in record shops, charity shop, junk shops and antique centres, pick up some good stuff, but some real chud that I have taken a punt on also.

Picked up 2 Sufjan Stevens cd's in Loros Blaby (come on feel the Illinois and greeting from Michigan)  £1 each.

My Niece bought herself a turntable last summer, so have been picking stuff up for her now.

though my greatest bargain was In a charity shop in Leiston Suffolk they had 2 record boxes full of classical music lp's, I asked if they would just sell me the boxes as I wasn't interested in the records, 20p each I got them for :D

I picked up Boards Of Canada's Geogaddi album from my local age concern a few years back. only for £2 which is strange because they are usually very clued up on their pricing there (apparently it was priced at £2 because it was a double album, fools, it's a triple).

wherever I am I spend all my time in record shops, charity shop, junk shops and antique centres, pick up some good stuff, but some real chud that I have taken a punt on also.

Picked up 2 Sufjan Stevens cd's in Loros Blaby (come on feel the Illinois and greeting from Michigan)  £1 each.

My Niece bought herself a turntable last summer, so have been picking stuff up for her now.

though my greatest bargain was In a charity shop in Leiston Suffolk they had 2 record boxes full of classical music lp's, I asked if they would just sell me the boxes as I wasn't interested in the records, 20p each I got them for :D

Nice finds in a charity shop!

Nice finds in a charity shop!

Yes very.

Though this is the exception not the rule.

My ultimate lp would be Lemon Jellys lost horizon, been offered it a few times, but something I want to find at a charity shop or car boot etc. d

dunno why though!

Edited by Rocket-Ron

• 1 year later...

Got this from a charity shop in Fort William. Probably would never have got this, but it was £1 and a name I recognized as being lauded several years ago.

2205245fd194b1809f6112735118a4c8919497da

The good news is, it's flipping brilliant!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

In Llanrwst Barbados got 4 CDs for £1, 3 beauties from Katy B, Space and Aqualung...

On_a_Mission_by_Katy_B.png  TinPlanet2.jpg

Aqualung_Aqualung.jpg

And something else I've immediately forgotten. As there wasn't anything that leapt out at me, I thought I'd risk something I've never heard of. It didn't work out.

7 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

In Llanrwst Barbados got 4 CDs for £1, 3 beauties from Katy B, Space and Aqualung...

Aqualung_Aqualung.jpg

And something else I've immediately forgotten. As there wasn't anything that leapt out at me, I thought I'd risk something I've never heard of. It didn't work out.

Barbados or barnardos?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Aqualung_Aqualung.jpg

I haven't listened to that Katy B album in a long time, gonna give it a spin now

I took a stack of CDs to the Mind shop in syston when I was clearing out the last people's rubbish from our new house. Mainly "90s Ibiza anthems" and that kind of thing if anyone's interested.

• 6 months later...

Got these beauties in Kendal at the weekend... 

Allornothinglgbu7.jpg   Ian_Brown_UMB.jpg  

BlackGrape_GreatWhenYoureStraightYeah.jp

The Subways album is great, where as the other two, which I were more familiar with, really only the singles worth listening to, but a a combined total of £4 for all 3, can't complain. :)

Edited by Trav Le Bleu