Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

East Midlands Rivalries - do you miss them?

Next season, like this season just finished, we will be the only club from the East Midlands in the Premier League.

Notts County were last in the top flight in 1992.

Nottingham Forest were last there in 1999.

Coventry City were last there in 2001.

Derby County were last there in 2008.

I have lots of memories from the late 70s onwards of fierce clashes between ourselves and those clubs and of many trips on the A46 to Nottingham, the A6 to Derby, the M69 to Coventry and even for a while the A47 over to Peterborough. 

Until the late 90s, we always seemed to be the poor relations in the East Midlands. Derby and Forest had their moments of glory under Cloughie and even Coventry won the Cup in 1987 and enjoyed a long spell in the 1st Division, always staying up on the last day it seemed.

But more recently we've become the pre-eminent club in the East Midlands and our old rivals have all become bogged down in mediocrity, from which none of them seem able to escape.

How do other supporters feel about this? Do you miss the days of passionate local derbies or are you happy to see Derby, Forest and Cov sink ever lower in football's pecking order?

Let's face it. Derby Leicester isn't a big rivalry. Forest is feisty, but hardly a great derby. I want Forest to lose, whereas I have a grudging respect for Derby as a club. It's a football city, I'd rather play them in the Premiership than Bournemouth or Watford.

As for Cov.... it's like hating the special needs kid at school.

The whole thing cringes me out a bit...

Derby and Forest claim to not care about us but all they seem to do on Twitter when we lose is remind us how crap we are??

at the end of the day the question is, some meaningless derby where its a feisty encounter... or Premier League football?

Derby and Forest claim to not care about us but all they seem to do on Twitter when we lose is remind us how crap we are??

at the end of the day the question is, some meaningless derby where its a feisty encounter... or Premier League football?

Have you not worked it out yet?

They have very well they know it winds most of our fans up saying they don't care.

"All on their own" and they got what they wished for, it's hilarious.

The point that gets missed in all of this Forest, Derby, Leicester talk is that for the last 18 years we've consistently been the best team in the East Midlands (Derby's record-breaking Prem season aside). We don't need a rivalry at the moment!

I like the needle that exists when we play Forest but I'll take being in The Premier League with them two languishing in The Championship and living in the past any day.

Fvck 'em. Let them all rot down there.

This. Enjoy the days out when we play them but love us being in a higher division. If it stayed this way forever and we just resort to the odd Cup game against them I'd be happy.

Still makes me lol lol lol lol lol that they compete for an actual, physical trophy when they play each other. Divs.

That's what I was getting at. It's great to be supping at the top table and all that, but do fixtures against the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Norwich, Swansea, Stoke, Crystal Palace, Sunderland really get the pulse racing?

They're the kind of teams you're supposed to get into the Premier League to avoid playing.

I miss Derby in that we usually win but it doesn't feel like much of a derby. Forest is more of a rivalry but there have been so many disappointing games against them recently (obv not including 2-3 KNOCKAERT ALLEZ LES BLEUS N THAT)

Cov... Hahaha. Can't imagine us playing County again any time soon outside of the cups and even that's highly unlikely, and not really a rivalry.

Don't miss them. We have plenty of excitement nowadays.

Nah let them toss each other off in their Brian Clough cup. **** em

This. Always remind my ex-workmates in Derby that whatever happens they'll always have the Cloughie Cup.

As for Cov.... it's like hating the special needs kid at school.

:D

It'd be nice to get a one-off game in the FA Cup but when the fixtures come out and I see when we're playing Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc I won't be wishing that any of those 3 were in there too. The longer they spend playing Rotherham, Preston & Brentford the better IMO. The 70s become an even more distant memory for them.

Once the novelty of the Premier League wears off if we're stuck in midtable in a few years I'd imagine we'd miss playing them, because it doesn't matter what people say, they're just bigger, more important matches than those against most teams we play.

Unless of course the circumstances dictate that it's a cliche 'must win' as, in fairness, so many have felt like this season with the plight we've been in.

Obviously I don't miss them in general though, I love not hearing about them much and when I do hear about them its because their season is collapsing.

The good thing about Leicester as a club is we're big enough to not be totally defined by a derby match like Forest and Derby are. Because, let's be fair, does anyone ever talk about one of them without mentioning the other? Meanwhile, everyone's talking about our cracking atmosphere, running out of season tickets and winning 7 games out of 9 in the top flight with an England international up front.

Sorry, thought this was the gloating thread.

They do that a lot and have this weird obsession about repeatedly telling us they don't care about us. If I don't care about something I tend to ignore it, for example Watford fans.

Part of me misses playing them, part of me says feck em, let them knock one out over the two legs of the Brian Clough trophy, whilst they wallow in the deluded belief they can replicate feats of 35 to 40 years ago and having another season of mismanagement and ultimate failure.

On the other hand Midlands football is in a bit of a mess. Us, Villa, West Brom and Stoke (I know the chances of Port Vale getting to the PL are extremely slim) with no real local derbies.

I'm glad we are a league above them as it's the only argument needed when having a bit of banter with one of their fans, because lets face it there is no way to counter it without sounding bitter and twisted. I enjoy being able to boast (ie best in the east midlands) without having to back up anything I say. I enjoy knowing that they are jealous even if they won't admit it.

Archived