Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

East Midlands Rivalries - do you miss them?

Nah I don't miss it. **** em let them have their little rivalry. There was a period around the mid to late 2000s where us and Derby had a bit of fuss between us. In fact I remember as recently as 2011 it kicked off a bit outside the ground. Bottles thrown, horses charging at people, etc. The reality is though that these two clubs have been behind us in the East Midlands pecking order for a long time so things naturally kind of died down.

Us and Coventry have had more of a mutual dislike of each other for a while - I kind of hope they have a resurgance though, their fans have been hard done to.

As for now, its all about being the pride of the Midlands. I'm happy to be playing Stoke, WBA and Villa. The Villa fixtures this year were very tasty.

To be a pedant, isn't Coventry West Midlands?....

I've worked in Cov for years now, pretty close to the Ricoh too, worked with a few sky blues, and it's quite sad to see the way the city's love for football has pretty much dwindled into a 'meh' attitude with the club's demise to relegation battles in league 1. I miss the banter with them because they don't really care any more, there's not even a sense of envy, they're just a nothing club with a bit of history.

Would like to see some 'derbies' back though in the prem, as someone has already touched on, there is just something more about the match days, but f**k it, I'm not depressed about it, we're premier league after all.

So why is Derby a footballing city?

Is it because they are all homers and don't follow there team away.

They were better last season,I grant you that,yet in previous seasons there away following has been shocking.

They're a well-supported club playing in a big stadium in a city passionate about its football. I've always enjoyed Leicester Derby games, not least because we usually win. Kudos to Bournemouth and Watford for their achievements but they're not going to get the pulse racing. I enjoyed going to Elland Road in the 3rd division more than I'll enjoy watching us play Watford next season.

I think the local derby isn't quite the same as it once was. These days I just don't meet work mates that support Derby, Forest or Coventry. I live in north Leicestershire so you would think I would meet a few Forest fans, but I haven't. It must be 20 years since I've heard of anyone admitting to being a Forest fan. I've never met a Coventry fan, but I guess that's a south Leicester thing. I know a few Derby fans, but that's it. I feel more of a rivalry with the likes of Burnley and Watford these days. I'm quite happy Derby Forest and Coventry literally aren't in our league.

I find it a bit embarrassing when 'Are you watching Nottingham' is sung.

If any Forest fan hears this, it just gives them the opportunity to sneer about not caring about us while we sing about them.

Time to move on.

I miss the days on Central TV when Division 2/Division 1 whatever it was at the time, was practically the whole of the midlands East & West

Leicester Wolves was frequently a great game, probably with more bite than playing Forest thanks to Walshie/Bully rivalry or Iwan Roberts heroics

Leicester Derby always a great game too, still usually is.

Speaking as a old fart who started watching city 62/63, I dont think I saw us play Derby for the first 10 years or notts county for 15 years, so they are non starters in terms of rivalry. Discount them totally.

I have this experience, but about Forest. When I started watching (89/90) Forest were way above us, and about the time we started being good, Forest dropped like a stone. So my formative years never featured Forest as a big deal (and being an England fan, I liked Pearce and Walker). So I get the ideological dislike of them, but it doesn't mean much at a gut level.

Whereas Derby we played all the time-we had the PlayOff Final (I still sing "are you watching Jimmy Greaves"), trouble in town after the games, thrashing them over and over again in the MON years and that game last season where we played liquid football. They're the ones that mean something, because those games were big games when I was a kid. And I don't care if they don't care, I fvcking love sticking it to then...

However, in the meantime I will accept grudge matches with Man U as they try to manage JV next year...

I find it a bit embarrassing when 'Are you watching Nottingham' is sung.

If any Forest fan hears this, it just gives them the opportunity to sneer about not caring about us while we sing about them.

Time to move on.

Did we sing it this season?

To be fair I wish Derby were in the division as we'd be six point closer to safety every year

I agree entirely, KingGTF, but I'd rather see the stars of the Premiership than be bothered with Championship also-rans.

Live in Hinckley so it's always been Cov for me, but we're unlikely to play them in the league for at least another decade so fook'em, I'll enjoy the Premier League

I think the local derby isn't quite the same as it once was. These days I just don't meet work mates that support Derby, Forest or Coventry. I live in north Leicestershire so you would think I would meet a few Forest fans, but I haven't. It must be 20 years since I've heard of anyone admitting to being a Forest fan. I've never met a Coventry fan, but I guess that's a south Leicester thing. I know a few Derby fans, but that's it. I feel more of a rivalry with the likes of Burnley and Watford these days. I'm quite happy Derby Forest and Coventry literally aren't in our league.

Agree with this, would rather lose to Derby than a team like Watford

Derby or Forest have never been a rival as far as i'm concerned.

Because of my location it's Coventry I have a rivally with, because of their demise the minority of fans that there were has become even less and almost non-existant I now see alot of Villa fans and boy they are arseholes. Delusions Of Granduer is the perfect way of summing them up.

I do work with a few Forest fans though and I seem to get more of a bite out of them now we're in different leagues than when we were in the same league, they seem to get even more pissed off - especially because of our great escape this year and even if we do lose/go through a bad spell the standard reply of 'But which league are we in? And which league are you in?' get's a bite, the fact they were also losing (In a lower league) meant they looked even more of an idiot. Me claiming I genuinely don't give a fook about Forest (Which I don't) or what they do also winds them up abit - they have the problem with me, not the other way round. They wind themselves up trying to wind me up so half the job is done.

In answer to your question no.

Archived