Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

Will Our Success Bring Future Generations of Young Fans?

Just reading this article on the Inverness manager stating that their success will hopefully bring fans towards them and away from the big Scottish and English clubs, and couldn't help but think the same for us south of the boarder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32890071

I'm currently 23 years old and so I grew up with the glory MO'N years and the likes of Heskey, Lennon, Izzet, Savage etc as my childhood heroes, attending Wembley and seeing us regularly hold our own and even beat the big boys. However, as I grew up and went onto high school etc the amount of glory supporters definitely increased, with more 'fans' siding with the likes of Henry, Gerrard, Lampard and Van Nistelroy over Carl Cort, Levi Porter and Geoff Horsefield. However, these past couple of years I have noticed an increased number of City shirts around city and of course at the ground. Something that probably hasn't been the case for a good few years, which is great to see. 

So, as the title asks, do people feel as though being a Premier League side will help us attract the younger fans, or will they continue to favour the big sides? And, as we all know, much like Hotel California, once you're hooked you can't leave, even after watching some of the dross that I/we have over the past 10 or so years. 

I can't really blame anyone for not wanting to watch the dross served up by Levein, Kelly, Holloway etc in a soulless half empty stadium when they could be at home watching quality football on Sky.

So I think it will have an impact, but we need to maintain our top flight status and have some good cup runs for it to really show.

I know loads of people who were Arsenal, Liverpool and United fans in particular who used to rinse the City fans for being shit in the mid naughies. Now they've got season tickets. It's a bit sickening tbh. 

2004-2008 saw a loss of potential support, second tier dross, little excitement and entertainment on the pitch and people won't be tempted, especially with the disgusting home record in that time. Since League One we've played a more vibrant brand of football, we've won far more matches, scoring with regularity and are now in the top division, eventually scoring plenty and winning games in the Premier League. Regular wins will attract more people, regardless of status.

Now is the best chance to get the next generation involved and interested.

My dad took me to my first Leicester game and I've been coming and supporting the club since. I'm sure it's the same for nearly all of us whether your old or young. I would hope that will continue across Leicester and Leicestershire because that's how you build a dedicated fanbase who stick through the club in the shitty times, it becomes a part of how you identify yourself and not just a way of being entertained at the weekend.

Hung up the Manchester United shirts 12 weeks ago and started supporting this beautiful Club while we were dead last on the ladder before the streak. Something about the club caught my eye and haven't looked back! Boy, was i stunned with what happened afterwards.

Surely, i don't go down as a glory hunter/ bandwagoner if we were last and only won three games?

Grill me if you want. I do support this club.  :scarf:

Hung up the Manchester United shirts 12 weeks ago and started supporting this beautiful Club while we were dead last on the ladder before the streak. Something about the club caught my eye and haven't looked back! Boy, was i stunned with what happened afterwards.

Surely, i don't go down as a glory hunter/ bandwagoner if we were last and only won three games?

www.foxestalk.co.uk/logout

As much as some more time in the PL - I think the other major thing that is and will continue to, build the fanbase - is the fact that Nigel Pearson has built up a 'proper team'.

By that I mean, we've got a real sense of continuity with players from season to season - with a real, tangible relationship between the squad and the fans. 

We've got:

Schmeichel -  been here 4 years - 180 apps

De Laet - 3 years - 114

Morgan - 3.5 years - 158

Drinkwater - 3.5 - 138

James - 3 - 99

King - 9 - 302

Vardy - 3 - 106

Schlupp - 5 - 114

Moore - 4 - 66

Nugent - 4 - 180

Think of all the dross we had after the MON years - with players coming and going - some real mercenaries with no attachment to the club or fans

C_71_article_1593766_image_list_image_li

If you've ever been at a club for anything like 10 years, then you'll be well aware that there is always a group of young fans, then the following year there's another set of young teenagers and so on. Football clubs and record labels/Simon Cowells seem to have created a commercial knack of 'grooming' youngsters out of their pocket money by luring them into a vision that this pop group or a football company is 'there's' and that if they spend some money and make an effort, they will 'belong' to something worthwhile.

Eventually of course, most people grow up? / out of the 'fix' that is stopping them from spending an extra £350 of their holiday, £45 on their children, or £3 on a healthier meal.

I know loads of people who were Arsenal, Liverpool and United fans in particular who used to rinse the City fans for being shit in the mid naughies. Now they've got season tickets. It's a bit sickening tbh. 

I just don't understand how people can be bred in a certain city and yet have the gall to banter about the local team as if it's not their own

Are you an Australian or a Brit ex-pat?

If an ex-pat, then are you from Leicester?

If not then don't take any of the nonsense above personally you can support who you want how you want.

There is a certain tribalism in the UK that means you should support your local team and if you don't then it is ok as long as you are supporting the same team as someone in your family, like you're from Leicester but your Dad and Granddad support Newcastle, then it is ok to support Newcastle. If not then you are just a glory hunter, unless there is some tenuous reason why you support Manchester United despite never being to Manchester and thinking they play in the Old Theatre of Trafford and the manager is called Louise Vangel (which all glory hunters have a tenuous reason for betraying their local team, and it is unsurprisingly always for a really successful team).

The other rule is never change your club, so despite you hanging up your Manchester United shirt in English eyes you are still a Man United fan.

So if you are an Aussie and not used to our customs then fair enough it is nice to know our exciting play and erratic manager have made you want to follow our club, keep supporting from a far and boosting our TV audiences (but don't even think about coming to the UK to watch a match and taking a seat of a loyal supporter, unless it is a cup game, in which case nobody cares).

If you are actually English then FOAD you ostrich!!!!

Are you an Australian or a Brit ex-pat?

If an ex-pat, then are you from Leicester?

If not then don't take any of the nonsense above personally you can support who you want how you want.

There is a certain tribalism in the UK that means you should support your local team and if you don't then it is ok as long as you are supporting the same team as someone in your family, like you're from Leicester but your Dad and Granddad support Newcastle, then it is ok to support Newcastle. If not then you are just a glory hunter, unless there is some tenuous reason why you support Manchester United despite never being to Manchester and thinking they play in the Old Theatre of Trafford and the manager is called Louise Vangel (which all glory hunters have a tenuous reason for betraying their local team, and it is unsurprisingly always for a really successful team).

The other rule is never change your club, so despite you hanging up your Manchester United shirt in English eyes you are still a Man United fan.

So if you are an Aussie and not used to our customs then fair enough it is nice to know our exciting play and erratic manager have made you want to follow our club, keep supporting from a far and boosting our TV audiences (but don't even think about coming to the UK to watch a match and taking a seat of a loyal supporter, unless it is a cup game, in which case nobody cares).

If you are actually English then FOAD you ostrich!!!!

Mother and her family were from Manchester and all supported Manchester United, hence the earlier support for them. But then grew on me as a sort of 'glory hunting' club and began to lose interest in them as i didn't exactly feel a part of the Club as someone should. Leicester City came into the frame and feels like i actually support the club rather than feeling like a sheep of everyone else.

My lad is 8. Always been LCFC crazy. Had no choice initially but my passion has rubbed off. Most of his mates came to training in various kits and only a couple sporting a LCFC kit and I had blank looks when I likened any of their play to a LCFC player as us coaches do to boost their confidence. Had to use Ronaldo, Messi, Costa, Terry etc even Andy Friggin Reid for one lad who supports Forest!!.., . Spark entry to the prem, Match Attax cards include the foxes, a main team in FIFA 15 complete with the KP stadium. Now they all turn up in Leicester kits, and the Forest lad wants one :-)  all know the players, disagree with me when I liken them to one player by suggesting they want to be a LCFC player.

Being in the prem makes a massive difference from a young age and bodes well for the future. The longer we are there, the more that get 'the bug' which once gained has no antidote.... even a future relegation. The longer we stay the more future fans we secure!!

I started going 2006. Loved it and hated it at the same time.

I used to love taking the positives from 1-1 draws with Luton, 0-0s with Colchester, 1-4 defeats to Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday. The manager used to assure us they were redoubling efforts in training so, although the quality of football didn't improve, the fitness increased 12 times over.

Mother and her family were from Manchester and all supported Manchester United, hence the earlier support for them. But then grew on me as a sort of 'glory hunting' club and began to lose interest in them as i didn't exactly feel a part of the Club as someone should. Leicester City came into the frame and feels like i actually support the club rather than feeling like a sheep of everyone else.

Have to admit my Mum gave me a man u shirt I had from when I was 6. Everyone supported man u at my school and I guess as kids do I must have jumped on the bandwagon. Some of my family moved to Leicester around that time and I used to go to every couple of months. Every time leicester were at home we would go filbert street. The first time I went was hooked the atmosphere was immense MON times. Think I was about 7 or 8 at the time, been a Leicester fan ever since. My mum giving me the man utd shirt was a literal skeleton in the closet. In my defense I'm 29 now so 21/22 years a Leicester fan and I would slap my younger self around the head if I could :)

Have to admit my Mum gave me a man u shirt I had from when I was 6. Everyone supported man u at my school and I guess as kids do I must have jumped on the bandwagon. Some of my family moved to Leicester around that time and I used to go to every couple of months. Every time leicester were at home we would go filbert street. The first time I went was hooked the atmosphere was immense MON times. Think I was about 7 or 8 at the time, been a Leicester fan ever since. My mum giving me the man utd shirt was a literal skeleton in the closet. In my defense I'm 29 now so 21/22 years a Leicester fan and I would slap my younger self around the head if I could :)

I don't really understand the concept of glory hunting. Right, you support a 'good' team that you will never see live - is that to boost your own ego or what? Football should be more than that man, be part of a club that actually means something to you or don't consider yourself an actual fan.

That actually felt like confession, trying to repent a really bad sin :)

Archived