Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Ben Chilwell

I think this lad should go on a season long loan to the Championship next season. He's highly thought of and the news of Konchesky having another year won't help as Nigel isn't the greatest at sticking youngsters in. He's competing with Fuchs and Schlupp as well.

If it's true he'll leave in a heartbeat. I've heard he's been unhappy here for a while. His Dad thinks he should be in the first team. 

Try reading all of the OP.

Bottom line says they want to bolster the youth ranks.

So he will be further down the order than he is here.

Just making an observation, although I expect I could be way off the mark, but City seem to have a few prospects in the youth / development squads and we keep hearing how good they look etc but they never really seem to make the push into the first team and to be honest I don't think 20 is young these days (I know Chilwell is younger). There are downsides to keepng the youth in the development squad forever and never giving them a go in the first team. Other teams seem to manage to get the younguns out (Southampton, Everton, Liverpoor, Arsenal and even United and look at Grealish at Villa) so why don't we? I often hear people saying 'He's too young' or 'He's not ready' about players even into their 20's and I really don't get the though process? I suspect if Arsenal really are interested then Chilwell would be off, and I for one wouldnt blame him.

Schlupp, Moore and King all played plenty of first team games last year. If they are good enough to get in the squad, they tend to get in the squad.

I think this lad should go on a season long loan to the Championship next season. He's highly thought of and the news of Konchesky having another year won't help as Nigel isn't the greatest at sticking youngsters in. He's competing with Fuchs and Schlupp as well.

News of Konchesky staying? Did I miss that?

Where they not playing pre NP?

To be honest Nige don't have a great record trying out his youth team.

Or playing anyone under the age of 22 really.

That's harsh...

It was playing too many young players that seemed to cost us a few years back.

May, 2013, Watford vs Leicester

Schmeichel: 26

De Laet: 24

Morgan: 29

Keane: 20

Schlupp: 20

Knockaert: 21

James: 21 

King: 24

Dyer: 30

Nugent: 28

Wood: 21

Bench:

Logan: 27

Konchesky: 32

Vardy: 26

Kane: 19

Marshall: 22

Drinkwater: 23

That's not exactly an old team! Compared to now where our benched goal keeper is 42, Wes Morgan's defensive partners are 34 and 30 and our main man in midfield is 34 - I'd much rather have the team we have now! 

Pearson doesn't have an issue playing young players; it's just that when we do, we lack that bit of essential experience. Chilwell may be the next big thing but at the moment, he's not first-team quality. He's a ridiculously good dribbler and can move at a decent pace but as an actual left-back, I'd much rather have Schlupp, Fuchs or Konchesky. 

People want to win all of the time and people want to play youngsters all of the time, you can't have both, young players will make mistakes so you'd soon be pretty pissed off if we've lost because one of these mistakes.

If they offer anything above £1m, take it. He aint gonna make it with us.

Unless you have the ability to look into the future, or watch the U21s and U19s play week in, week out, then I don't think you can honestly say he won't make it with us. 

Unless you have the ability to look into the future, or watch the U21s and U19s play week in, week out, then I don't think you can honestly say he won't make it with us.

Christ on a bike.

Ok let me rephrase.

If they offer anything over £1m, I think we should take it as I dont see him making it with us.

Just as a sidenote, every post on here about the future of any player is an opinion on what might happen as time travel isnt possible. Do people really need that to be disclosed every time?

Christ on a bike.

Ok let me rephrase.

If they offer anything over £1m, I think we should take it as I dont see him making it with us.

Just as a sidenote, every post on here about the future of any player is an opinion on what might happen as time travel isnt possible. Do people really need that to be disclosed every time?

Yeah but usually we have something to base our opinions on. I personally hardly know anything about Ben Chilwell and as far as I know have never seen him play. If you have any significant insight then fair enough having an opinion on whether he will make it, just wondering what you are basing it on?

Surely an U21 captain, stand out performer for a successful youth team and a regular for England youth sides is worth more than £1mill to a prem club.

Got to agree a team like arsenal would probably pay 3 million ish it's nothing to them like when Utd bought Powell for 5m. We don't need to sell him and he's more chance of playing for us than them so why would he move he's only young he's got plenty of time yet.

lol you didn't rephrase anything there! lol

Of course he did, he modified his initial statement to say that it was all his own opinion. It was pretty obvious in the first place but someone decided to be a bit pernickety about it with talk of crystal balls and such.

For what it's worth I don't think he'll make it here either. He has looked good whenever I have seen him, I just think we're not in a position to be throwing youngsters into the team unless they're pretty exceptional. The fact he hasnt been involved yet suggests hes no teenage prodigy. In my opinion!

Yeah but usually we have something to base our opinions on. I personally hardly know anything about Ben Chilwell and as far as I know have never seen him play. If you have any significant insight then fair enough having an opinion on whether he will make it, just wondering what you are basing it on?

Watched a few youth team games and coupled with Jeff's progression, the signing of Fuchs and the fact that there has been no sign whatsoever of Chilwell getting near the first team, leads me to believe that he isnt going to become our next big thing.

Young players are such a gamble these days so unless they are quite obviously a star in the making, if money is on the table, take it and let someone else take the risk.

You watch the u21 games and players can shine because he opposition is nowhere near that of a Premiership side, I watched a few through the season, one that sticks in my head was the u21 Man Citeh game at home, Knockaert played, I think he just wanted some game time and he was miles ahead of everyone in quality and leadership, we won 6-2 i think. Knockaert struggled to get a first team game but was key in the Championship.

Its the same with this kid Ben Chilwell who has he really played against? until you watch him up against quality opposition you can on make a guess that he will come through, in the end most never do

Archived