Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

I get what you're saying and I've seen this argument put forward a few times but I really think the owners plan to make us a top club and in that plan as far as they are concerned the yo-yoing has finished, they want to change the history of the club away from yo-yoing. Imagine if we had waited a few more years to move from filbert street, got relegated and didn't develop the kp, we'd never be where we are now.

Good point and I really hope they can end this yo-yo reputation. I think the most important thing that separates the top clubs from the rest is money and now we have access to it, perhaps things can change although there's money everywhere now! All of these clubs with foreign investors are all looking to do the same and there's only so much space in the PL.

Good point and I really hope they can end this yo-yo reputation. I think the most important thing that separates the top clubs from the rest is money and now we have access to it, perhaps things can change although there's money everywhere now! All of these clubs with foreign investors are all looking to do the same and there's only so much space in the PL.

True, which is probably why it's becoming more essential now than ever to be a properly ran club from top to bottom with a clear strategy and the right people in the right positions throughout all pulling in the right direction.

My only worry with a huge capacity is after Friday training Claudio and walshy might have to pop into town and start handing out tickets like smarties at the clock tower ( with the rest of the bloody leaflet handing out brigade that gather there ) just to fill it on a Saturday afternoon

Do all the Goths still hang around there or have things moved on now?

Used to always be a good few dozen stood around there in huge Terminator boots and black clothing, make up.

Do all the Goths still hang around there or have things moved on now?

Used to always be a good few dozen stood around there in huge Terminator boots and black clothing, make up.

Not sure last time I went to town there was a Christian preacher banging on about the atrocities of homosexuality .... Accidentally made eye contact with him too the cvnt almost had me converted with his 1000 yard stare too

Essentially it is up to the owners. If they genuinely believe they can establish us as a top 4 side (Cladio said this in his interview yesterday on East Midlands Today) then why not expand to 50-60k because wether we like it or not, if we were doing well there would be a lot more glory supporters following us.

If they're unsure if they can seriously do it anytime soon then play it safe with 42k which will do for now and if we do become a European heavyweight then we can build a new world class stadium in a decades time.

Well they're not going to expand it to 50-60k in the foreseeable future I can't see them doing any more than adding to the East Stand which we know was built with an extension in mind.

The most they are likely to do is incorporate options within that extension that allows for easier extension to the North & South ends.

The biggest obstacle to any expansion is coming up with reliable and concrete travel/parking plans. It will be really difficult to convince the Council as we've failed completely to fulfil them for when the stadium was built.

One way they could oil the council's wheels would be for the owners to make a philanthropic donation towards getting the National Forest/Ivanhoe rail line up and running to allow trains to drop of fans at the back of the stadium.

Guest CityFan 06

It's an exciting prospect the ideas about the expansion of the ground which in turn infers Premier League football for years to come hopefully. If it was me and we had to expand, I'd go for 42k to start with. Then if we start to be in Europe and become an established top ten club for numerous of seasons I'd head for 50k, only of course if the demand of getting tickets remains high for each home game.

Make it 120k and £5 a ticket.

One thing i don't want is an arsenal where fans are extorted on a Saturday to watch their team play at he shiny new stadium

Bundesliega teams have it right they say their ticket sales generate such a small part of their revenue that there is not Much point in charging through the roof cause at the end of the season the profits are minimal compared to selling players sponsor ship and TV rights

Obviously for city we don't generate nothing close to the revenue the big teams do from Europe but being a family club ( for which we have won awards) I hope this is kept in mind with a new stadium

The obstacle to any expansion is mainly to do with parking, and perhaps increase in security (finding the correct people).

Parking where the old ground used to be is fine for the capacity we have now, but any increase will result in further street parking (i.e. meaning certain home-owners getting pissed off); UNLESS some fans are prepared to walk quite a distance and park at the Tiger's ground or where the new hospital car park is set to be.

The obstacle to any expansion is mainly to do with parking, and perhaps increase in security (finding the correct people).

Parking where the old ground used to be is fine for the capacity we have now, but any increase will result in further street parking (i.e. meaning certain home-owners getting pissed off); UNLESS some fans are prepared to walk quite a distance and park at the Tiger's ground or where the new hospital car park is set to be.

The carpark next to the Tigers is out for tender, with the Tigers and 4 other bids after it. It could end up as a fans village for Tigers or offices/student accomodation if others win the bid. It's all down to which one Soulsby picks.

Also walking doesn't help if it involves parking 'nearby', I walk from the top of Westcoates Drive about a 20+ minute walk. All it will mean is the Council will extend the parking permit system further  Soulsby's  already trying to expand it to Western Park area.

Five bids made to buy Granby Halls site from Leicester City Council

By danjmartin  |  Posted: December 01, 2015

11500506-large.jpg

The Granby Halls site

Comments (9)

There have been five bids to buy the former Granby Halls site in Leicester.

The city council intends to sell the 1.7 acre site next to Tigers' Welford Road ground, which is currently used as a car park, for redevelopment.

The site, formerly home to an leisure complex and concert venue, was put on the market in October and the deadline for bids passed on Friday.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby has said he intends to make a decision on who should be allowed to buy the triangular shaped plot in the early in the new year.

He said: "There have been five bids and the hope now is that we can move fairly quickly.

"There may be some clarification we need on some of the bids. We have yet to assess them in detail."

Sir Peter was unable to reveal the five bidders but it is understood Tigers want to acquire the site.

The club has long held ambitions for it and has outlined a vision to develop it as a match day fan zone.

Club chief executive Simon Cohen has argued Tigers ought to get special consideration in bidding the process because of their stature in the city and county though he has acknowledged the council must try to get the best deal for the tax-payer.

A Leicester Tigers club spokesman said: "We can confirm that we have made a bid. We believe it is a strong bid for land that the council's own policy states should be used to extend the Leicester Tigers facilities and will contribute significantly to the sporting and cultural heritage that is such an important part of Leicester's development."

Sir Peter said: "I wouldn't want the end result to be just some routine development.

"It is a very prominent site and I would like to see something that respects the iconic Tigers stand that sits next to it.

The city council had suggest the land's future use could include offices, a hotel, student accommodation or some sort of community building.

No specific asking price has been set for the land but the interested parties have submitted sealed bids.

City planners are only prepared to allow a structure of up to eight storeys.

About 10 years ago, a plan for a 27-storey complex at the site was scuppered after the Home Office complained people in the upper floors would be able to see over the walls into nearby HMP Leicester.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/bid-buy-Granby-Halls-site-Leicester-City-Council/story-28274864-detail/story.html#ixzz3tRjb7X4g 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Is a railway station behind the ground viable ?

Surley it would get a fair share of commuters tigers/foxes/industrial workers/students

I defer think a station near the kp would be beneficial

It's a single track that is just used for commercial traffic at the moment and links the Burton up with Leicester via the National Forest,  Ashby, Coalville, Kirby Mukloe and passes by the back of the stadium.

I think it should be up to the council to provide more parking and better traffic flow. At the moment the club is making the city more prosperous and raising its profile, it's therefore up to the city to feed the beast and not just take.

Make it 120k and £5 a ticket.

The only way I'd feel comfortable about expanding the ground by huge amounts, and I know you're joking with 120k, is if the ticket prices came down to something ridiculously inexpensive. I'd have no worries about the stadium ever being half empty when its like tenner to get in.

I would say to increase the capacity

Even if it was an extra 5000 seats, it would help a bit towards the demand for extra season tickets and match day tickets.

The demand is there now, regardless of where our league position is at this moment.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say we finish finish 17th for the next 5 years we will fill the KP regardless.

Finishing top 6/8 the situation will only be worse for next season.

Archived