Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

Expand the stadium? The poll

1,304 members have voted

1. 1. Expand the stadium?

• Yes, asap!
    • Maybe when we're established top flight. (Another 2 years+ survival)
    • Not fussed.
    • No.

Guest CityFan 06

About right I think 38-42000 roughly would be good

Yep, would be about right I would think. Would be good to start with at least. If we continue to progress as a club in years to come and ticket demands remain consistently high, we could possibly move onto towards 50k, we'll see.

I was doing some back of an envelope calculation the other day based on nothing more than guesswork, £10million for 10,000 extra seats at £25 average ticket, and I reckon they'd have to sell out everyweek for 25 years to make £200-500k  extra revenue a year. That's not even 1 player's wages.

It all depends on what the building costs are and at what rate they borrow the money obviously. Maybe the accountants on here could do the sums?

I was doing some back of an envelope calculation the other day based on nothing more than guesswork, £10million for 10,000 extra seats at £25 average ticket, and I reckon they'd have to sell out everyweek for 25 years to make £200-500k extra revenue a year. That's not even 1 player's wages.

It all depends on what the building costs are and at what rate they borrow the money obviously. Maybe the accountants on here could do the sums?

I appreciate it has to be financially viable Webbo but for me it is more about generating extra atmosphere for the games and giving the 10'000 or so who find it difficult to get a ticket at present half a chance of getting one?

And looking to the future of course (hoping champions league etc etc?)

I was doing some back of an envelope calculation the other day based on nothing more than guesswork, £10million for 10,000 extra seats at £25 average ticket, and I reckon they'd have to sell out everyweek for 25 years to make £200-500k  extra revenue a year. That's not even 1 player's wages.

10000 x £25 = £250,000 revenue per game.

£250000 x 19 games (excluding potential champions league games) = £4.75 million per season.

So just over 2 season to (very roughly of course), get their money back. You've done calculations based on net revenue rather than gross, which is cool but we have very little idea what kind of overheads get taken off each ticket, and therefore how much is 'pure' profit from each ticket sold.

Seeing that we spent £22 odd million on players this season, and we'll be getting a circa £90 million performance bonus this season plus whatever we get from the Champs league, cost really isn't a viable argument against an expansion imo. 

10000 x £25 = £250,000 revenue per game.

£250000 x 19 games (excluding potential champions league games) = £4.75 million per season.

So just over 2 season to (very roughly of course), get their money back. I'm by no stretch an accountant but that wasn't hard to work out  :P

Seeing that we spent £22 odd million on players this season, and we'll be getting a circa £90 million performance bonus this season plus whatever we get from the Champs league, cost really isn't a viable argument against an expansion imo. 

But they won't be paying back over 2 years and there are interest costs on the borrowed money. Add the extra policing and stewarding cost and the fact we won't sell out 42,000 every week?

Guest CityFan 06

It would be nice for more fans to be able to add to the great atmosphere at Filbert Way.

I know demand for tickets is very high at the moment due to our success, but next season whether we are doing well again or not, it would be good to allow more fans to support us at home every week. I'd predict if we expanded to 42k this year, next season we'd average 38-40k.

I suppose in a way we could look at expansion as a way of moving forward as a club, fanbase and size. Champions League nights would be ideal for expansion.

I was doing some back of an envelope calculation the other day based on nothing more than guesswork, £10million for 10,000 extra seats at £25 average ticket, and I reckon they'd have to sell out everyweek for 25 years to make £200-500k extra revenue a year. That's not even 1 player's wages.

10,000 x £25 = £250,000 × 19 games = £4.75M per year

But they won't be paying back over 2 years and there are interest costs on the borrowed money. Add the extra policing and stewarding cost and the fact we won't sell out 42,000 every week?

I doubt Top would be going cap in hand to a bank to ask fro 10mil up front, policing costs are (currently) contributed by government and the club, and we're speculating whether we would sell out or not.

Put simply, if Cardiff could afford it why can't we. 

It would be nice for more fans to be able to add to the great atmosphere at Filbert Way.

I know demand for tickets is very high at the moment due to our success, but next season whether we are doing well again or not, it would be good to allow more fans to support us at home every week. I'd predict if we expanded to 42k this year, next season we'd average 38-40k.

I suppose in a way we could look at expansion as a way of moving forward as a club, fanbase and size. Champions League nights would be ideal for expansion.

There's little to no chance of expanding before next season with the emphasis on no chance.

It's not just about cost and revenue for me as simplistic and naive as that sounds.

It's about prestige as a club and how we move to the next level. A 42,000 all seater puts us apart from the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Norwich, etc. If we want to be a consistent top ten club we need to compete long term with the West Ham's, Everton's, Newcastle's, etc. It's as much about portraying yourselves as a big club.

Also we need to try and get a culture where our football club is a huge thing for our city much like the two big NE clubs. A bigger stadium so we don't have to limit ST sales to 23,000 and more people can come along. If we have any spare seats I'm all for school kids filling them up for free as we invest in our next generation of fans.

Let's not make Leicester City a closed shop for the people of Leicestershire.

I've been doing my sums again and I reckon £10million would cost around £600k to £ 1 million a year for 25 years so that would be 2,5 to 3 million a year extra revenue so possibly worthwhile buts that's relying on selling out every week.

Build now whilst we can and our stock is high.

Players, teams and money comes and goes for a football club.

The stadium doesn't so invest in our infrastructure by building a stadium that makes a statement. Otherwise in 5/10 years time we could easily be in reverse positions with Derby and Forest as they have a good team and contemplate building a 50,000 all seater as they look to move to the next level and we're back in the Championship where we started with nothing but memories.

It's not just about cost and revenue for me as simplistic and naive as that sounds.

It's about prestige as a club and how we move to the next level. A 42,000 all seater puts us apart from the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Norwich, etc. If we want to be a consistent top ten club we need to compete long term with the West Ham's, Everton's, Newcastle's, etc. It's as much about portraying yourselves as a big club.

Also we need to try and get a culture where our football club is a huge thing for our city much like the two big NE clubs. A bigger stadium so we don't have to limit ST sales to 23,000 and more people can come along. If we have any spare seats I'm all for school kids filling them up for free as we invest in our next generation of fans.

Let's not make Leicester City a closed shop for the people of Leicestershire.

Can't agree more with this. I think we would average 40,000 every match easily if we had the capacity to do so. Why not build it now whilst the demand is there instead of leaving it for years when the demand might not be as strong. If things go bad for us over the next few years then at least we have a ready made stadium for Champions League football when we get there again. We can't really grow too much bigger as a club until it happens in my opinion.

Can't agree more with this. I think we would average 40,000 every match easily if we had the capacity to do so. Why not build it now whilst the demand is there instead of leaving it for years when the demand might not be as strong. If things go bad for us over the next few years then at least we have a ready made stadium for Champions League football when we get there again. We can't really grow too much bigger as a club until it happens in my opinion.

I don't think we have enough time to get it all done by next season

Surely we could still use the stadium whilst construction occurs in the week, I've seen it done before. We'd have a 42,000 seater by Christmas.

It'd take longer than that to get planning permission.

Surely the point is that, at Filbert Street, the capacity was 21,000 maximum and even in the dark days of mid-table mediocrity in the Championship we exceeded that. If we stay in the Prem (which depends on us keeping the present management team together for a while) and continue to do reasonably well, there's no reason why we can't manage to fill a 42,000 capacity stadium on a regular basis.

Oh fair enough, just saw I few posts about it not being financially viable earlier and then that bit about planning permission, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions :)

Just trying to inject a little realism into the debate. Money might seem an irrelevance to some when it's not their money they're spending but these things have to be taken into consideration.

The big revenue comes from the corporate side. Wouldn't surprise me if a big chunk of any new tier on the west stand was used for corporate lounges and quite a few boxes. maximising the earning from the investment will be what drives any expansion. Of course it would be good to get another 10k fans in but if we can earn twice as much from expanding to 38k than 42k then we will do so. at the moment, the east stand corporate areas extend towards the penalty areas. There would be good demand for corporate seating nearer the centre circle which could be achieved in a new tier. Also a possible relocation of the press box that side would release the current area for high priced seating in the east stand.

Archived