Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Players back for fitness assessments and training.

Just a day after their manager Nigel Pearson was unceremoniously sacked, Leicester City players have returned to training to undergo pre-season fitness assessments.

Pearson was dismissed on Monday despite enjoying a good second half of last season with his East Midlands club, guiding them well clear of relegation, after they won seven of their last nine games.

And after a June 30 statement from Leicester read, 'the club believes that the working relationship between Nigel and the Board is no longer viable,' The Foxes' players had no choice but to get their head down at their Belvoir Drive Training Ground, with the new Premier League season beginning in just over a month's time.

2A23230D00000578-0-image-a-26_1435752196

+11

A new, summer signing, defender Robert Huth was all smiles as he got on the bike in Leicester training

2A23238300000578-0-image-a-27_1435752283

+11

26-year-old full back Ritchie De Laet jumps with his hands on his hips at the training complex

2A23236800000578-0-image-a-28_1435752330

+11

David Nugent is put to the test, watched on by De Laet and fitness coach Mitch Willis

2A2322B300000578-0-image-a-29_1435752423

+11

Former Manchester United man De Laet views his results on a laptop while still in the gym

2A23233C00000578-0-image-a-30_1435752472

+11

Former Portsmouth striker Nugent jumps off a box on his July 1 return to training

New signing, the 30-year-old German Robert Huth was among the players pictured in the club gym, along with fellow defenders Paul Konchesky, Ritchie De Laet, Marcin Wasilewski and club stalwarts Matty James and David Nugent.

Huth and Wasilewski tackled the exercise bike after their post-season break, while De Laet, Nugent and Konchesky got stuck into some box jumping. 

Pearson guided Leicester to a miraculous Premier League survival last season and was named manager of the month for April. 

His side spent 140 days at the bottom of the table but won seven of their last nine matches to comfortably stay up and finish 14th.

2A23230300000578-0-Paul_Konchesky_gears_

+11
2A2321DD00000578-0-The_34_year_old_left_

+11

34-year-old left back Paul Konchesky gears up before box jumping at Belvoir Drive Training Ground

2A2322DB00000578-0-image-a-31_1435752615

+11

De Laet and Nugent share a joke while looking at a laptop in the club gym

However, a statement on Leicester's club website read: 'It has become clear to the club that fundamental differences in perspective exist between us. 

'Leicester City's owners, Vichai and Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, and the board of directors would like to place on record their thanks to Nigel for the considerable contribution he has made during his time with the club and wish him well in the future.' 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3145909/Leicester-players-day-job-fitness-assessments-day-manager-Nigel-Pearson-sacked.html#ixzz3ee2MirLD 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

They don't look that bothered.

Matty James looks optimistically good. I don't know if that's normal or not for this sort of injury but no knee brace etc.

Matty James isn't in any of them?

Edit: Sorry, didn't click the link.

Only allowed to post so many.

Missing pictures

Gary Lineker, an honorary vice-president of the club, called the decision 'stupid,' tweeting: 'Leicester City have sacked Nigel Pearson! Really? WTF! Could you kindly reinstate him like the last time you fired him?'

The former England striker added: 'So, after not only getting LCFC promoted but pulling off the most miraculous escape in PL history, Pearson is sacked. Those who run football never cease to amaze with their stupidity.' 

2A2321EA00000578-0-image-a-38_1435752785

+11

Matty James chats to a Leicester City staff member during his pre-season fitness assessment

2A23224600000578-0-image-a-39_1435752834

+11

Former Anderlecht centre back Marcin Wasilewski holds a drink while riding an exercise bike in training

2A23222A00000578-0-image-a-40_1435752916

+11

The 35-year-old former Poland international Wasilewski checks out his results on a laptop

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3145909/Leicester-players-day-job-fitness-assessments-day-manager-Nigel-Pearson-sacked.html#ixzz3ee6eS7XY 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think the players being professional needs to go hand-in-hand with the support from the stands. I'm extremely disappointed with what's happening but for the players and new manager, whoever it may be, a toxic atmosphere could only make it worse.

I think the players being professional needs to go hand-in-hand with the support from the stands. I'm extremely disappointed with what's happening but for the players and new manager, whoever it may be, a toxic atmosphere could only make it worse.

Then what do we do if the new manager achieves what is expected of him and they sack him. Do we keep not saying anything and not questioning stupid decisions right up until we're back rotting in the Championship/League One?

I'm not saying there should be a negative stance against the players or new manager. But I do think we need to make it clear that we believe the owners should have to answer to us and should have to explain their decisions. Football fans should get at least that from the people who make so much money out of them.

Then what do we do if the new manager achieves what is expected of him and they sack him. Do we keep not saying anything and not questioning stupid decisions right up until we're back rotting in the Championship/League One?

I'm not saying there should be a negative stance against the players or new manager. But I do think we need to make it clear that we believe the owners should have to answer to us and should have to explain their decisions. Football fans should get at least that from the people who make so much money out of them.

I agree 100% it seems a bollocks move but we have to have faith in players and the next manager. It's always a difficult situation and despite their generally awful footballing decisions we need to start where we left off in terms of atmosphere. The Thais will soon regret this if it goes pear-shaped but we can't really allow this to get to the boys on the pitch.

Also, the release was shite, they seriously need to add some transparency on the situation or it will only serve to antagonise.

By all accounts Nigel wasn't sacked for what happened on the pitch, if he had been able to control his emotions and play the game he would still be here, but he couldn't he had a big enough warning earlier this year that they were not happy with his behaviour.

One thing that strikes me about these pictures is that whilst Nigel isn't there they are still working with the same coaches and medical staff and team mates as before, the club is bigger than one man, and whilst yes they played for Nigel, they also played for the club. If they only replace Nigel and not his entire staff then the impact would hopefully be minimal. I also think there is every possibility of Shakespeare taking over and we continue as we are, just with a more media savvy figure head.

Archived