Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danizen

Give It To Shakey and Walsh.

For now, at least.

We were all looking forward to the new season under Pearson positive about what could be achieved. Walsh and Shakespeare would be able carry on from last season with minimal disruption and hopefully maintain the momentum we built up in the last 10 games. Most of the time, promoting from within is a disaster but that usually applies to clubs that were already in huge trouble and were unable/unwilling to spend money to bring in a permanent replacement (Carver at Newcastle Connor at Wolves ETC.). An interim manager usually works if the squad is united and the backroom staff are talented and there are no egos which is the case at Leicester City. 

If you look at successful interims like Avram Grant at Chelsea, Luxembergo (sp?) at Real Madrid or most recently, Tactics Tim at Spurs, there are downsides to this arrangement. Firstly, it isn't a long term solution but it will buy the owners a bit of time to bring in the right man. Secondly, it hands too much power to the players since, in their minds, they're essentially managing themselves (but if certain people are to be believed, that was happening during our survival run anyway).

Since they're both assistant managers, it might be a bit tricky deciding which one to promote but surely this is a better option than bringing in Lennon or Cotterill. 

Like I said, it's not a long term solution but I believe if we bring in Lennon or Cotterill we will be looking for a new manager again at some point this season so why not carry on with the two considerably talented assistants we already have on our books?

I'm amazed this isn't even being touted as an option by the bookies.

I do think we need a statement about Shakespeare and Walsh, they were Pearson's men, they left with him last time, the club needs stability and those 2 will help to provide it.

Guest ttfn

Closer to home, Rob Kelly did a fantastic job at first and then once he had time to think and implement his own ideas it went tits up.

I'm amazed this isn't even being touted as an option by the bookies.

I do think we need a statement about Shakespeare and Walsh, they were Pearson's men, they left with him last time, the club needs stability and those 2 will help to provide it.

I've seen them both floating between 30s and 50s. 

John Carver

Chris Ramsey

Chris Huchings

Terry Connor

Sammy Lee

Brian Kidd

Taking over a failing team in the middle of a season and not succeeding is not great examples.

Garry Monk,

Pep Guardiola

Chris Hughton

John Gregory

Plenty of success out there amongst the failures, the major difference here is Pearson wasn't sacked for footballing reasons, the progress on the pitch is not the problem, so keeping the people responsible for that on board makes sense.

I doubt either would want the job but continuity is very important they know the players and at least you know they won't fook the team up.

Imagine fat sam coming in first signing Kevin Nolan.

I've seen them both floating between 30s and 50s. 

Maybe they have made an appearance now, but they weren't even mentioned in the early betting lists and haven't been mentioned on any of the next manager articles I have seen, BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, SSN.

No mention.

Maybe they have made an appearance now, but they weren't even mentioned in the early betting lists and haven't been mentioned on any of the next manager articles I have seen, BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, SSN.

No mention.

Yeah, those places tend to focus on the favourites. Understandable, I suppose.

If they cared about stability, they wouldn't have sacked Pearson in the first place. This just isn't going to happen, we're back on the merry-go-round.

Shakey is nailed on to leave and follow Nigel. I'm not sure on Walsh, at first I thought he would leave too, but it seems the club are doing everything they can to keep him here. Depends who the new man is but wouldn't be shocked now if he stayed.

these two are pretty loyal to Pearson, I doubt they would want to step over his corpse. 

Would their loyalty extend to turning down a chance to manage in the Premier League? Every manager in the world was once somebody's assistant.

As has been said they've followed Pearson for years now and are very loyal to him.

I'm unconvinced that 'sharing' the role is a good idea and I don't think Walsh has ever had any or at recent management experience.

If you're going down this route it would have to be Shakespeare who's more of a tactics man but I'm sure he's been with Pearson since his WBA days 

They're in temporary charge aren't they? I think they'll stay. I mean, it's strange that it appears to just be Pearson that has gone...

Not really the owners need someone to fill the gap and they'll wait to be sacked by the next manager so they get their contracts paid up plus they'll have some degree of loyalty to the players they've brought in.

A classic you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours

Why are people criticising backroom being promoted to management

Just look at Pearson's record since working with Robbo & Big Sam???????

I'd more than happy to assess the possibility of promoting from within, but I think Shakey & Walsh are very much Pearson's men

Not at all happy with anyone who is seriously linked with us, can't see anyone more suited to the role than Pearson

- MoN has lost it, massively - his teams are so negative I couldn't bear watching it.

- Lennon is an unknown quantity given Bolton's 2nd half of the season and the awful football they played.

- I'd be ok with Big Sam, he's essentially Nigel Pearson, just a bit further along in his management career. I wouldn't be happy with long ball tactics though, I loved our overwhelming pressure game in our Championship winning season & some of the football in our fast countering in the Prem was as good as any top flight football.

Most of the other names are pipe dreams for those with delusions of grandeur & if they're not... They're nowhere near as good as NP

Archived