Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest LCFC_World

Ranieri tactics

Guest LCFC_World

Hi all, I was just wondering does anyone know what kind of football Ranieri plays? Attacking? Possession? Also, what formation does he play? Once we know this we can start predicting the team sheet again!

He doesn't have a set one. I've seen him chop and change constantly. I hope he keeps the spine of the team we have here.

If we want to move onwards and upwards I'm not sure how many shouldn't be replaced over the next 12 months. If we aspire to top 8 then we've only really got :

Schmeichel

Huth

James has potential

Mahrez

Albrighton can do a job

Schlupp if he continues to progress on the left

Fuchs (?)

Hard to know with the strikers

Ranieri favours a 4-4-2, and has used this formation throughout his managerial career tinkering time to time, game to game, and during the game as commonly known. He played a 4-4-2 / 4-5-1 most of the time at Monaco, sometimes a 4-1-2-1-2.

Labelled 'defensive' by Sneijder at Inter Milan where he played 4-4-2 mostly and was criticised at for not being more creative with his wide players. And At Roma he had a 4-3-1-2 formation which had them on a big winning streak.

Against big (better) teams, he prefers a robust 4-4-2 and again tinkers with that formation based on the goings of the game, often changing to a diamond 4-1-2-1-2 when the midfield becomes overrun.

-

Knowing this, can we assume that the most likely formation Ranieri will use at Leicester is the 4-4-2 / 4-1-2-1-2 - and knowing how the Premier League has developed since the last time Ranieri was here with Chelsea, he must surely be aware of the almost complete rejection of the 4-4-2 system bar Manchester City - could we see our Leicester lining up as a 4-1-2-1-2 outfit? Does this limit Jeffrey Schlupp and favour Fuchs at left back? will we need a new RB? Would Kante work with this formation as the holding midfielder, or would the freedom in this position allow Cambiasso (if signed) to work his magic?

Is the 3-4-3 / 3-4-1-2 dead?

It would've been interesting to see us play 3 at the back from the start of this upcoming season. Now we'll almost certainly we'll return to a back 4 which I don't have an issue with, but it will require a new right-back. I assume Fuchs was brought in to play as LWB as part of a back 5 so if we revert to 4, how strong will he be? Most comments seem to highlight his attacking ability rather than his defensive duties. 

Looks like the Tinkerman will be doing a lot of tinkering indeed. Though I do think long-term a flat back 4 was the more realistic option, even given our remarkable run in the last 9 games.

One worry is that regardless of the astute tactical brain Ranieri has, he has to trust the players have the intelligence to take his methods on board and also be adaptable

I'm not adverse to changing tactics during a game to gain an advantage.

I just hope the players understand them!

I think the most important training the players can do under Ranieri is understanding the game, and learning a variety of systems - intricate and simple.

I feel as if Schlupp may opt-out of these lessons.

No but seriously, this can only expand the players footballing brains, and hopefully Cambiasso if he stays on can help the rest learn Ranieri's ways having worked under him before.

One worry is that regardless of the astute tactical brain Ranieri has, he has to trust the players have the intelligence to take his methods on board and also be adaptable

That's basically what I meant. Some of our players don't seem the brightest!

lol

Imperative now that we retain Cambiasso. He's clearly intelligent and would help some of the others to cope with the Tinker Man's tinkering. So to speak.

Edit...lol just what Red Sox just wrote.

That's basically what I meant. Some of our players don't seem the brightest!

lol

Imperative now that we retain Cambiasso. He's clearly intelligent and would help some of the others to cope with the Tinker Man's tinkering. So to speak.

Edit... lol just what Red Sox just wrote.

I do wonder if the owners and their advisers went after Ranieri due to Cambiasso referral / experience playing under him, perhaps as an incentive to sign him up and maybe a path into coaching if Ranieri survives the year.

I havn't looked / seen any info on Cambiasso/Ranieri relations, so i'm unsure if they get on, like each other. 

Italians aren't scared of playing of 3 at the back generally so may continue with this. If we play anything else we need a new right back.

Two sitting midfielders will be quite common. Cant see 2 out and out strikers.

Considered starting a new thread for this but could probably go in here. How do we think the players will adapt? Which players could flourish or struggle?

I can see Andy king continuing to be me reliable, sitting in midfield quite nicely. Huth shouldn't have any problems, Danny drinkwater to improve?

As for struggles, everyone is under threat but particularly wes Morgan.

Archived