Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest LCFC_World

Ranieri tactics

Guest ttfn

I'm not adverse to changing tactics during a game to gain an advantage.

I just hope the players understand them!

Exactly, I'm just a bit worried that a few of our players seem like they might not be the brightest bulbs in the box. Fingers crossed that's not the case

We had a winning formula at the end of last season. Is it more important to play the style that Ranieri is familiar with or the style that best suits the players we have? If the players could be just as effective in a changed formation then great, but we know that they can cause problems to the opposition using the three at the back attacking style, and if it works, why fix it?

I think the Italian style in general seems to be patient build up and then sudden bursts of attacking play still. As someone has said, we definitely have the pace for that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he supports hard pressing either... again, something our players are used to.

His methods may be one of the reasons that he's been appointed. Apart from a change in shape, the overall philosophy, isn't all that different. Our players just need to learn to be patient when they have the ball. It might mean an end to lumping up top when we run out of ideas.

I expect to see a 4-3-1-2 in the first game of the season. Ranieri doesn't have a go to formation as such but he's played the 4-3-1-2 a lot over the years and it would suit our team.

He will push the full backs high (they are more like wing backs in a 3-5-2 than out and out full backs), the 2 centre backs split with the deep central midfielder dropping in between them in a Xabi Alonso style role. 2 box to box midfielders and the attacking midfielder supporting the strikers.

I would hazard a guess at something like;

Kasper

Albrighton

Huth

Wasilewski

Fuchs

Cambiasso

King

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Vardy

Okazaki/Kramaric

I'm not adverse to changing tactics during a game to gain an advantage.

I just hope the players understand them!

It's up to a manager whether they understand or not, whether he gets buying from those under his command etc... The relationship Pearson had with players is quite rare and while we were butting our head against a brick wall for much of last season, the players always did what was asked and never let their heads drop & always believed, which was incredible team-building... Thats quite rare in football

Anyway. Round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square ones.... that's why our 343 & 352 worked so well

And we were unplayable with pace

I fear we'll switch to a containing, possession based game and we'll have a similar (but relative) outcome that Moyes had replacing SAF.

Hopefully I'm wrong though

I expect to see a 4-3-1-2 in the first game of the season. Ranieri doesn't have a go to formation as such but he's played the 4-3-1-2 a lot over the years and it would suit our team.

He will push the full backs high (they are more like wing backs in a 3-5-2 than out and out full backs), the 2 centre backs split with the deep central midfielder dropping in between them in a Xabi Alonso style role. 2 box to box midfielders and the attacking midfielder supporting the strikers.

I would hazard a guess at something like;

Kasper

Albrighton

Huth

Wasilewski

Fuchs

Cambiasso

King

Drinkwater

Mahrez

Vardy

Okazaki/Kramaric

No width then... I hope not.

No width then... I hope not.

As much width as the 3-5-2 gives you, the only major difference between them is you lose a centre back and gain a central midfielder. The central midfielder has license to push slightly further up the pitch and is more creative in possession and instead of a back 5 without the ball he screens the back 4 as a holding midfielder.

I am not against his appointment and I'm not trying to stick the knife in early but from what I'm reading one of the main reasons he bombed with Greece is that he didn't have one set formation and started the infamous Faroe Islands game with a 4-2-4 with two holding midfielders who had never played the holding midfield role. Apparently he abandoned the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 formation that had served the Greeks well for decade more or less straightaway and the players resented him for it.

We had it pretty much cracked at the end of the season, I just hope he has the savvy not to 'tinker' too much with a system that was serving us brilliantly during our amazing run.

As much width as the 3-5-2 gives you, the only major difference between them is you lose a centre back and gain a central midfielder. The central midfielder has license to push slightly further up the pitch and is more creative in possession and instead of a back 5 without the ball he screens the back 4 as a holding midfielder.

The way you're suggesting that, the formation would be a 2-6-2, which could work, but you need a CM who is basically a CB who can play a bit as well. None of our current midfielders fit that mould.

Did we not learn from last year? The majority of our squad was piss poor in nearly all formations apart from the 352 type system.

4-3-3 did okay. I hope Ranieri goes with what fits the players best at first rather than what he wants to see. The end game is winning, and if we're more likely doing it playing a 4-4-****ing-2 then we go for it.

The way you're suggesting that, the formation would be a 2-6-2, which could work, but you need a CM who is basically a CB who can play a bit as well. None of our current midfielders fit that mould.

James strikes me as someone who could fill that role. Seems pretty intelligent, tall lad, can picture him playing CB for some reason.

I think one of the reasons for his appointment was his willingness to work with the back room staff we already have. Which means he will hopefully continue the good work from NP.

I hope we see plenty of different line ups and formations in pre season including the 532 that served us so well at the end of last season.

Just because 532 worked so well for a couple of months doesn't mean it is the best formation to play, nor that it will be successful next season.

Out early season form was built on a flat back 4, we beat Stoke and United and drew against Arsenal and Everton playing 442/433.

We have new players a different manager and a year of experience under our belts. Ranieri at Chelsea was a very good manager, they were exciting to watch with explosive forward players and a couple of ball playing enforcers in the middle, he picked the team to beat the opposition rather than subscribe to the never change a winning team philosophy.

I remember attacking full backs like Bridge and Melchiot with Terry and Gallas at the back Makelele and Parker sat in front with players like Lampard, Duff, Hasslebank, Zenden, Veron given license to attack.

I don't agree with this boring negative football tag, at Monaco he brought in Falcao, James Rodriguez, Berbatov he also made Emmanuel Rivière look good, and that is no mean feat. I think it will be an exciting season ahead, I only hope we have a little patience and don't just jump on this Tinkerman tag every time he changes the side. Just remember some of the ridiculous tinkering from NP last season before he finally cracked it. He will need time, patience and more importantly support. It is important to rember he didn't sack Pearson but he was ready to pick up the reins and if he and our owners think he is the man to take us forwards then I am onboard.

Archived