Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest LCFC_World

Ranieri tactics

3-4-3/3-5-2 at the end of the season looked so good

our CB's aren't good enough for just 2 to play. our CM's aren't good enough to have just 2 (need a more advanced attacking outlet). AND, our wide players aren't all that, bar Schlupp and Albrighton who absolutely suit the wing back roles.

the system totally suited our players and little else did - would be a disaster to change it!!

I expect we'll see a better standard of time wasting if we are ahead with fake injuries etc. Assume the ball boys will be told to slow down the return!

there was plenty that was refreshing about the way we conducted ourselves on the pitch in contrast to the general level of cheating - I think that will change.

3-4-3/3-5-2 at the end of the season looked so good

our CB's aren't good enough for just 2 to play. our CM's aren't good enough to have just 2 (need a more advanced attacking outlet). AND, our wide players aren't all that, bar Schlupp and Albrighton who absolutely suit the wing back roles.

the system totally suited our players and little else did - would be a disaster to change it!!

No it wouldn't. Why is everyone on here only capable of dealing in absolutes?

It could be a disaster, or it could be that we got ourselves into a now or never situation and regardless of the formation we were playing we had to just throw caution to the wind and go for it.

I'm not saying the formation didn't have a part to play, but the player changes were more important than the formation Huth and Albrighton coming in Ulloa and Vardy suddenly playing like gods rather than Sunday League footballers.

We have the players to play in other formations and when it is the day to day premier league rather than the end of season desperation against teams that are on the beach/on terrible runs of form a 4231 may serve us better.

It seems Ranieri has already said he won't automatically change the formation I just hope he builds the flexibility in the squad to play other ways rather than just assuming that 532 will work because it did for 9 games last season.

No it wouldn't. Why is everyone on here only capable of dealing in absolutes?

It could be a disaster, or it could be that we got ourselves into a now or never situation and regardless of the formation we were playing we had to just throw caution to the wind and go for it.

I'm not saying the formation didn't have a part to play, but the player changes were more important than the formation Huth and Albrighton coming in Ulloa and Vardy suddenly playing like gods rather than Sunday League footballers.

We have the players to play in other formations and when it is the day to day premier league rather than the end of season desperation against teams that are on the beach/on terrible runs of form a 4231 may serve us better.

It seems Ranieri has already said he won't automatically change the formation I just hope he builds the flexibility in the squad to play other ways rather than just assuming that 532 will work because it did for 9 games last season.

OK...'based on the highs and lows of 45 odd games last season with the same squad we have now, it would appear likely that reverting back to a system that saw us lose game after game after game would be detrimental considering another system helped produce a near miraculous improvement in form and performance'.

Is that better?

OK...'based on the highs and lows of 45 odd games last season with the same squad we have now, it would appear likely that reverting back to a system that saw us lose game after game after game would be detrimental considering another system helped produce a near miraculous improvement in form and performance'.

Is that better?

lol

Much better.

I would like us to carry on with the 532 as it is my favourite formation with the wing backs being key, but it doesn't mean 442, 4231, 433 can't work for us.

We have some exciting attacking players the trick will be finding the balance and fitting in Albrighton, Mahrez, Okazaki, Vardy, Kramaric, Schlupp, Ulloa even Nugent whilst keeping the side balanced and solid defensively.

We found that with 532 but failing to re-sign Cambiasso could mean that the whole thing falls apart. Anyway I will leave Claudio to puzzle that one out.

From his book:

"Damien is a player with many qualities. Tenacious , fast, always ready to shoot, a good crosser of the ball. He was the classic footballer, with something extra. When up against Blackburn Rovers in the past, my main problem had always been to keep him in check, and I had greatly admired him during the World Cup in Japan and Korea – in this instance without the anguish of being on the opposing side – when for me he was the one who shone for the Republic of Ireland team. Damien is highly inventive, and in addition, although he prefers to play on the left, he has the great capacity of being effective in more than one position. From the opposite wing, for instance, he can cut in and shoot dangerously at goal left-footed, curling the ball much in the same way as Chris Waddle used to do back in the 1980s. And this was not all. Soon after having him in the side, I found that by playing him in the hole just behind the forwards, where he had never been used before, he could deliver assists of pinpoint accuracy to the strikers – just like the best playmakers in the NBA."

I expect he might like keeping Mahrez behind two strikers. And he is a fan of basketball! Cambiasso is obviously a done deal then.

...........Vardy........Okazaki........

.................Mahrez...................

Schlupp.....................Albrighton

......Cambiasso..... Kante......

....Fuchs.......Morgan.......Huth....

I think he'll overlap with Schlupp.

Maybe in a 4-4-2, but he what, played in a back 3 for Austria a couple times?

Would you suggest we play De Laet in a back 3 and say he'd overlap with Albrighton just because he played there a few times for us?

(Yes, he did do a surprisingly good job there, and maybe Fuchs would too, but we should have a 3 quality CBs in the staring line-up if playing with a back 3.)

Maybe in a 4-4-2, but he what, played in a back 3 for Austria a couple times?

Would you suggest we play De Laet in a back 3 and say he'd overlap with Albrighton just because he played there a few times for us?

(Yes, he did do a surprisingly good job there, and maybe Fuchs would too, but we should have a 3 quality CBs in the staring line-up if playing with a back 3.)

So first I'm told not to think and then I'm told what to suggest.

Maybe it's you who should Fuch off?

So first I'm told not to think and then I'm told what to suggest.

Maybe it's you who should Fuch off?

I said the same thing twice, explaining myself the second time. Not telling you what to think or suggest. Just trying to use reason.

But sure, I won't continue the argument, and if Fuchs is able to play in that position this season without weakening our back line, then I'll admit I was wrong.

This is reassuring.

I like him already.

Sounds very sensible.

so much for the 'He cant even speak english' or the 'he only plays 4 at the back' etc etc

time will tell obviously, but saying the right things (well, the kind of things id like to hear at least)

I said the same thing twice, explaining myself the second time. Not telling you what to think or suggest. Just trying to use reason.

But sure, I won't continue the argument, and if Fuchs is able to play in that position this season without weakening our back line, then I'll admit I was wrong.

Not saying you are wrong.

Both your responses were arrogant with the 'would people stop thinking....' and 'would you suggest.....' You may be right on all counts I simply posted a formation at 7am whilst waking up with a coffee and your responses to it wasn't to say "I'm not sure that's what I or the manager would do" you just went off on one!

There isn't an argument just a suggestion of a possible formation following the narrative of the thread which suggested we want to play with width, a back three and I wanted to consider if we could incorporate Fuchs and Schlupp in the starting line up on the left rather than it be like for like substitution.

Not saying you are wrong.

Both your responses were arrogant with the 'would people stop thinking....' and 'would you suggest.....' You may be right on all counts I simply posted a formation at 7am whilst waking up with a coffee and your responses to it wasn't to say "I'm not sure that's what I or the manager would do" you just went off on one!

There isn't an argument just a suggestion of a possible formation following the narrative of the thread which suggested we want to play with width, a back three and I wanted to consider if we could incorporate Fuchs and Schlupp in the starting line up on the left rather than it be like for like substitution.

I certainly like the new Nick more than the previous Nick.

...........Vardy........Okazaki........

.................Mahrez...................

Schlupp.....................Albrighton

......Cambiasso..... Kante......

....Fuchs.......Morgan.......Huth....

Fuchs, who's better at attacking, in a back three over Was and De Laet who proved last year they could play there?

Edit: Oh God, you've already been over this then. I'll back away

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody who's been to Burton, Mansfield etc share if there seems to be a change in our style

I've seen RL say we've set up with everything from 3 at the back to 442

But I mean about our style & tactics than formation alone

Our squad is obviously best when playing fast countering football, in fact we've proved other teams can't live with it, when it clicks

But Ranieri has stated several times he wants to add an Italian-style tactical level to our game, which may have varying (being diplomatic) results with our current playing staff & their strengths.

Is our style just part of preseason malaise, or is our game turning more pedestrian & dare I say it, predictable... Or as CR also declared, he'll change very little, & we're still ripping teams apart with fast passing & blistering pace?

It was 3-4-1-2 at both Lincoln and Burton.

We played about as much quick, attacking football as you'd expect from pre-season at those games, especially second half. We were never going to play at breakneck speed for 90 minutes in pre-season. Most of the threat in those two games came from Albrighton and Vardy. We looked dangerous getting the wing-backs forward and when Vardy got in past the last defender.

It was 3-4-1-2 at both Lincoln and Burton.

We played about as much quick, attacking football as you'd expect from pre-season at those games, especially second half. We were never going to play at breakneck speed for 90 minutes in pre-season. Most of the threat in those two games came from Albrighton and Vardy. We looked dangerous getting the wing-backs forward and when Vardy got in past the last defender.

Good news, thanks.

Archived