Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Susan Whelan calls on fans to trust club's decision to replace Pearson

Leicester City's Susan Whelan calls on fans to trust club's decision to replace Pearson with Ranieri

By Mercury_Sport  |  Posted: July 20, 2015

By Rob Tanner

10544147-large.jpg

Susan Whelan with Claudio Ranieri and director of football Jon Rudkin at the King Power Stadium today

Comments (0)

Leicester City chief executive Susan Whelan has urged supporters to trust the club's board of directors over the sacking of Nigel Pearson and the appointment of Claudio Ranieri.

Ranieri was officially unveiled to the media as Pearson's successor today and Whelan was asked why Pearson, who had led City to the Premier League and masterminded the great escape last season, was sacked.

Whelan said legal issues meant she could not disclose any details but she called for the supporters to have faith in the club's decision, which she said was taken with the club's best interest at heart.

"We acknowledge and appreciate Nigel's contribution and success he brought to the club," she said.

"At the time of his departure we made a statement and it was quite clear that the board felt its relationship with Nigel was just no longer viable and we had to make a change.

"I am sure people would like to go into the detail but there are confidential issues on both sides. This is normal in a departure situation.

"I am not at liberty or wish to go into the detail of what happened. I think Nigel has a great legacy at this club but it is time to move on for everyone."

Whelan said she was well aware that the appointment of Ranieri had been met with a mixed reception from supporters, but said the 63-year-old was the right choice to take the club forward.

"I read the papers so I know there was criticism from some areas, but I think the majority of the supporters still understand because we have demonstrated it consistently over the last five years," she said.

"We genuinely always try to do our best for Leicester City and to keep the club as the primary driver in any decision that is taken.

"I understand there was probably some frustration in terms of the fact it was quiet during the interim, but I think the supporters know that is our way.

"If something is private and confidential we prefer to talk about those things behind closed doors.

"We don't talk about our business in the public domain every day. I am confident and sure the majority of the fans will have trusted in the judgement of the board.

"Claudio is a man of vast experience and knowledge. We are very pleased to have him here at the club and he is going to lead us into the next chapter of the club's history.

"We are very proud to have him. He succeeds Nigel Pearson as manager.

"Everyone at the club appreciates the success that Nigel achieved when he was here.

"The club is in a better place with the contribution Nigel has made to the club in the past.

"However, in the pursuit of the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club, a change was necessary.

"I am very confident that in Claudio we have recruited a manager who has the knowledge, the passion and the determination to ensure the continued growth, development and success for this club, and to fulfil the vision of the owners, and everything that is in the hearts and dreams of the fans."

Whelan insisted that Ranieri, who has managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe, was City's first choice for the job, although she admitted there had been a thorough search for Pearson's successor.

In an interview with the Irish Times, former City boss Martin O'Neill has admitted he was sounded out by the club but told them he did not want to leave his post with the Republic of Ireland, while Guus Hiddink was also on Leicester's short list.

"He was, absolutely," said Whelan when asked if he Ranieri was their first choice.

"We went through a very extensive recruitment process in terms of looking at the managers who were available.

"That is our job and responsibility as a board to ensure the decision we were making was a very good long-term choice.

"It became very clear almost immediately that Claudio was our number one target."

Ranieri was relaxed and cheerful as he answered questions from journalists and outlined his vision for the club.

"I am very excited to start the new season," said Ranieri.

"Leicester is an old, good club in England and I am very proud to be here, and I am very happy to start the new season.

"The first part of last season was not good and I don't understand why. Something changed after the 5-3 win over Manchester United.

"But at the end the character of the manager, the players and the club, and fans, gave a miracle. The last part of the season was amazing.

"I want to know what is the true Leicester, the first part or the second. I am sure it was the second.

"My goal is to make one point more next season. The goal is to improve season after season."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/City-Whelan/story-27449229-detail/story.html#ixzz3gRe0ZRLd 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

To expand as a yawn clearly isn't acceptable, this tells us absolutely nothing. Nothing substantial about why Nigel left, nothing substantial about the recruitment processes and nothing to give any genuine reassurance that Ranieri is more capable of pursuing 'the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club'. Pretty uninspiring all in all.

To expand as a yawn clearly isn't acceptable, this tells us absolutely nothing. Nothing substantial about why Nigel left, nothing substantial about the recruitment processes and nothing to give any genuine reassurance that Ranieri is more capable of pursuing 'the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club'. Pretty uninspiring all in all.

To be fair their hands are tied - there will be settlement discussions underway as well as confidentiality undertakings.  We won't hear anything concrete unless it's leaked or released in two or three years time (i.e. in a book) once the undertakings expire.  The club are never going to risk being sued for millions for a breach just to appease the fans.  That said it would have been nice to hear more about recruitment and future plans.

I'm glad there is an acknolwedgement of Pearson's contributions, even if it's simply PR fluff.

Well of course that's why the thrust of the statement is 'trust us'.

I doubt they'd have recruited him if they didn't think he was capable of achieving 'the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club' it speaks for itself.

I doubt they'd have recruited him if they didn't think he was capable of achieving 'the long-term objectives and vision the owners have for this club' it speaks for itself.

I'm sure they wouldn't, but they also might have come up with something slightly more inspiring than 'experienced, knowledgeable, other buzzwords'. I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much but there's nothing in there to suggest why he's specifically such a good fit for Leicester at the present time. I'm feeling quite downbeat about the whole thing, so maybe it's just me, but nothing she's said particularly reassures me.

Don't think they really had a choice.  Wasn't he and Peter Schmeichel the only people to publicly express an interest in the job?

I'm sure they wouldn't, but they also might have come up with something slightly more inspiring than 'experienced, knowledgeable, other buzzwords'. I don't know maybe I'm expecting too much but there's nothing in there to suggest why he's specifically such a good fit for Leicester at the present time. I'm feeling quite downbeat about the whole thing, so maybe it's just me, but nothing she's said particularly reassures me.

Agree on both counts

:appl:

and while I won't expect warts & all... I expect more than fluff & filler

I don't have the confidence he's a good fit for the club, & certainly not for the squad at his disposal & its mentality.... and would like to have heard far more than 'trust us' & from Ranieri too

Load of bollocks

Well said Susan.  :appl:

Onwards and upwards. :scarf:

Can we also trust Susan and her colleagues who selected Ranieri to fall on their swords if this becomes the car crash many including myself are predicting.

Shame you were not as supportive of Pearson.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Seems to me people expect far too much football is and always has been, but much more so now about clichés, generic platitudes and a host of patronising mumbo jumbo.

If you get anything slightly interesting it'll be from some media rag stirring the shit and looking to up it sales.

Frankly no news about what is happening behind the scenes is usually good news.

Seems to me people expect far too much football is and always has been, but much more so now about clichés, generic platitudes and a host of patronising mumbo jumbo.

Expecting more than that is not expecting too much. Why would anyone be happy with clichés, generic platitudes and a host of patronising mumbo jumbo even if that is all football fans usually get?

For the record I'm not surprised, but I'm extremely disappointed.

Don't think they really had a choice.  Wasn't he and Peter Schmeichel the only people to publicly express an interest in the job?

That's because they were out of work. There wouldn't be a shortage of people who would have loved the chance to manage a premiership side.

Expecting more than that is not expecting too much. Why would anyone be happy with clichés, generic platitudes and a host of patronising mumbo jumbo even if that is all football fans usually get?

For the record I'm not surprised, but I'm extremely disappointed.

If you're not surprised I don't understand why you're disappointed.

I never expect anything as my long time experience tells me that on almost every front they'll more than likely to make a balls up of things.

The surprises for me are that they got it right with O'Neil and Pearson other than that they usually meet with my expectations.

Why do you think you are owed an explaination? As quite rightly pointed out, it is a private matter and there will probably be some legal element to it.

When I sack someone do you want me to give you a shout? Let you know all about it?

Why do you think you are owed an explaination? As quite rightly pointed out, it is a private matter and there will probably be some legal element to it.

When I sack someone do you want me to give you a shout? Let you know all about it?

If I'm a customer who regularly gives a decent proportion of my time and money to your business and am emotionally invested in it, and the employee in question is the only competent person you've had in the role for ten years, then yes I'd like you go to give me a shout. That's why I feel entitled to a proper explanation. Or at least some explanation of why the person you've now employed in the role is specifically suited to the company and position.

Archived