Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spence

King and Drinky

OK, so people have been going on about it, but its a valid concern! We will be relegated with our current CMs. Why oh why did we sack Pearson....

The fact that you think king Hammond and drinks will be our only cm this season is laughable. Also James is back in December. Chill out Mayyyyyn

Drinkwater didn't make the big step up everyone had hoped for last season considering his time in the championship but i'd like to think he'll be much better this season. I think they're good enough to get us past the bottom half teams but can see us being dominated by top half teams with those two. 

Pearson left us very weak in midfield this season bit my main concern is that he failed to bring any young central defenders to the club, meaning we'll require a brand new central defence within the next couple of seasons, if not sooner. Wes and Was are both at that age where a dramatic decline could happen at any time.

Midfield an obvious concern as Pearson's existing players simply aren't good enough. For a guy who was supposed to be building a squad here there sure hasn't been much built.

We really do need to get some CM's in. Imagine if one of them picks up and injury or red card in the first couple of games and we've got nobody else in. After Hammond we're really starting to scrape the barrel in terms of players who've played senior football above league 1/league 2.

I imagine it's top of the backroom's list regardless of the rumours papers print. It will start to leave me feel a little worried if we've nobody by the end of this week. It'd be nice to get the new player with a few weeks till the season starts to give them a proper chance to get to know the squad.

Would all this 'we're gonna be relegated' stuff please stop.

No-one knows.

However, we do need strengthening in that central mid area.

I've said this tons of times. I think we need a holding, tough ball - winner AND someone with a creative spark who can score goals.

Drinkwater, James, King, Hammond are all competent. But to kick on, as in really progress, we need to be improving in this area.

Pearson left us very weak in midfield this season bit my main concern is that he failed to bring any young central defenders to the club, meaning we'll require a brand new central defence within the next couple of seasons, if not sooner. Wes and Was are both at that age where a dramatic decline could happen at any time.

Midfield an obvious concern as Pearson's existing players simply aren't good enough. For a guy who was supposed to be building a squad here there sure hasn't been much built.

Agreed. And then signing the likes of ulloa when he's nearly 30

We struggled for the majority of last season in this area and I think was one of the main reasons our defence suffered so much. We are now without James and Cambiasso - our strongest and preferred midfield pairing - so this puts us in a worse position than last season and the season in the championship. So yeah we not only need to improve on our current options but should really be improving on our strongest options last season.

Seems a little obvious to point out but that's the current state of affairs - and I think everyone knows this and more to the point the coaching staff will know this.

Agreed. And then signing the likes of ulloa when he's nearly 30

Absolutely appalling signing that, a bloke who outscored Lukaku, Mane, Yaya Toure, Van Persie, Sterling and Remy and who cost a massive 6million fee at the age of 28. I bet no onw would want him for 6million at the age of 29 now.

These two don't play well together, neither are defensively minded enough. I'd probably go with King and Hammond however if Drinky can recapture the title winning form then you'd choose him.

lol I was wondering when you'd be in here bigging up the Kingster. Lot of love for that man.

yeah man last season king played at the start and we were great then king played at the end and we were even greater dunno what the issue is.

sure a bit of help might be nice but give him a few weeks to get used to it and he could probably play by himself

On the plus side Drinky should get some game time. He needs a good run of games in a team that will be attacking. Felt sorry for him last year, like Kramaric he was played in a system that didn't really give him a chance to flourish.

yeah man last season king played at the start and we were great then king played at the end and we were even greater dunno what the issue is.

sure a bit of help might be nice but give him a few weeks to get used to it and he could probably play by himself

Looked like he'd been hitting the gym as well, his biceps looked about half the size of Akinfenwa's, when he was celebrating his goal against West Ham, which is pretty big.

Schlupp could probably do it, aside from Cambiasso he's probably the only other player from last season that could pass a ball into space and run onto it himself.

They can do a job but I wouldn't trust any of them long term, based on last season. King has always struggled to dominate consistently, Drinkwater didn't do the business and Hammond is just poor.

Whilst they are capable on their day there's not much evidence to suggest we can cope without 2 more centre midfielders being signed.

Absolutely appalling signing that, a bloke who outscored Lukaku, Mane, Yaya Toure, Van Persie, Sterling and Remy and who cost a massive 6million fee at the age of 28. I bet no onw would want him for 6million at the age of 29 now.

6million? What

They can do a job but I wouldn't trust any of them long term, based on last season. King has always struggled to dominate consistently, Drinkwater didn't do the business and Hammond is just poor.

Whilst they are capable on their day there's not much evidence to suggest we can cope without 2 more centre midfielders being signed.

They may thrive in the 532 formation, replacing Cambiasso with Hammond or Drinkwater, is obviously a step down, but the formation gives plenty of support to the 2 CMs, in a 442 DD and King didn't work well together as they were exposed and didn't have the support around them.

In a 532 there is an extra central defender to bring the ball out from the back, and also more options to play backwards from midfield if under pressure, having the third midfielder/deeper forward gives them more simple options to move the ball forwards quickly, and the wing backs also play closer to the midfield and give more options wide.

442 with our counter attacking approach left the midfield 2 very exposed at times. 

Pearson 'left us' weak in midfield lol lol lol

Try 'got sacked whilst negotiating for players'

Please don't try and deflect this back at Pearson like you usually do, saying he was out of order and could of deserved being sacked is one thing, blaming him for not being able to sign any players before he was chucked out is absolutely ludicrous, especially now Ranieri had had longer in the transfer window and worryingly seems to be making very little progress.

I'm fully behind him, but his failure thus far to lure any decent cms in despite several false dawns is slightly worrying.

Archived