Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lnkstern

Historical -- from the MON era -- "the notorious Sheffield United game"

NEVER MIND -- I should have finished reading the article before posting this question.  Stupid user (me).

In this article:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/heart-soul-Leicester-City-Martin-O-Neill/story-26878382-detail/story.html

the following sentences appear:

"So, where do you start with Martin Hugh Michael O'Neill?

Do you start with the turmoil – the boardroom scuffles, the "Don't Go Martin'' campaign, (a campaign that actually worked, he admits later), La Manga, the notorious Sheffield United game."

I didn't begin supporting Leicester City until 1998 or so; I have no memory of "the notorious Sheffield United game."

Would anyone be willing to fill in what exactly happened to make the game "notorious"?

Thanks!

We has strayed the season well and were in and around the top two for most of it until mark McGhee decided wolves were a better prospect than us. (Great decision Mark).

O'neil came in and we lost a few and slipped down the table. The Sheff Utd game saw some supporters, many of whom didn't want Martin on the first place, (we were too big for a manager that had come up with Wycombe from non- league to league 1 as it is now) sound familiar?

After a miserable game against Sheff Utd, were it looked like our chance of making the playoffs again had disappeared, supporters chanted for the removal of o'neil, staying behind after the game to voice their disapproval.

Then came the streak and the rest is history. Glad to say I was not one who was on Martins back after that game.

Just goes to prove that even the best eras are not all sweetness and light. Thankfully everyone held firm and we saw how it worked out, love the fact O'Neill wrote to all those fans who had complained :D

Mcghee had us in the top 2 playing what compared to the little era was some of the best football I have seen city play. Think svens better moments.

O'neill quit Norwich, a lot wanted mike walker also formerly of norwich, 1 had been at Wycombe and norwich for 5 mins. 1 had put bayern out of europe and managed in the top flight.

Mon oversaw 8 games without a win (may have been 9)

We lost 2 nil at home to sheff utd and the more vocal support in sk1 and 2 staged a stay in protest after the game. Which then made its way round to the main stand and was very vocal against mon and barry pierpoint.

Fast forward a week or 2 we win in london for the 1st time in donkey's at charlton and palace back to back aways I think. We sneek in the play offs at watford and the rest is well 3 of the best seasons in our history.

How times changed when we had to beg him to stay.

Mcghee had us in the top 2 playing what compared to the little era was some of the best football I have seen city play. Think svens better moments.

O'neill quit Norwich, a lot wanted mike walker also formerly of norwich, 1 had been at Wycombe and norwich for 5 mins. 1 had put bayern out of europe and managed in the top flight.

Mon oversaw 8 games without a win (may have been 9)

We lost 2 nil at home to sheff utd and the more vocal support in sk1 and 2 staged a stay in protest after the game. Which then made its way round to the main stand and was very vocal against mon and barry pierpoint.

Fast forward a week or 2 we win in london for the 1st time in donkey's at charlton and palace back to back aways I think. We sneek in the play offs at watford and the rest is well 3 of the best seasons in our history.

How times changed when we had to beg him to stay.

Those back to back always in London were incredible. 100-1 the way we were playing. Still think about those games from time to time. Changed our future??

Interesting that we wanted Mike Walker who effectively replaced O'Neill at the end of that season and never amounted to much as a manager after Everton. And then we signed his son a few years later.

I remember having a piss in the ground the day we played Norwich that season when I overheard someone saying O`Neil had resigned as their manager and I thought to myself, ffs I hope he doesn't come here. How wrong can you be?

Remember the game very well.  My birthday game that season.

McGhee had gotten us playing in a nice style before he'd gone to Wolves, albeit the best results and performances had all been away from home.  At Filbert Street we'd lost to so many poor sides, and conceded so many soft goals that the home crowd were seriously restless.

O'Neill was seen as a long-ball manager. Players were queuing up to follow McGhee to Wolves and didn't have their hearts in it. New signings Claridge and Lennon were impressing nobody, Claridge especially. The pitch was a shambles.  The match was an appalling game of head tennis and offsides and lost to 2 second half goals.  The reaction during and after the game was angry, abusive and close to turning violent.

Following that match, everyone at the club seemed to pull their collective finger out, the crowd settled back down as they saw the teams effort and work rate and focus return, and all the new signings came good....

"That could be.....the winner from Claridge......"

It was almost the reverse of Pearson Sousa, Pearson had us playing in a more direct style then Sousa tried to turn us into a passing side and struggled to implement his style, under McGhee we were looking like a good footballing side, but we were still very fragile, it was us and Millwall trading places in the top 2, but neither of us managed to pull away.

O'Neill came in and tried to change the style, brought in different sorts of players and changed the way we played, I forgot how much off the field disruption there was and my chanting and booing that day was aimed at the board for not showing the ambition and backing to keep McGhee more so than at O'Neill.

This is an interesting look into the past of LCFC.

Can't believe it's nearly 20 years ago. Where the fook did the last two decades disappear!

The sheff utd game six years previous was far more notorious though....

The game when they needed to win to get promoted and bought about 10,000 to FS?

Archived