Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Plaudits for our Atmosphere, let's keep it up

so mad that the only people on here who slag the "clappers" off would be the ones id usually relate to improving the atmosphere. yet the clappers improve the atmosphere. thought they'd be delighted with them.

With a bit more effort it could be so much more. Take the Andy King chant at the end of the game, it was deafening and had nothing to do with the clappers.

It's not wrong to want more is it mate?

Edited by The soup nazi

With a bit more effort it could be so much more. Take the Andy King chant at the end of the game, it was deafening and had nothing to do with the clappers.

It's not wrong to want more is it mate?

want what you want I don't mind, just saying I find it a bit odd that some of the people who would complain most about a lack of atmosphere seem most annoyed at the main thing that's made our atmosphere better? seems a bit backward that's all.

want what you want I don't mind, just saying I find it a bit odd that some of the people who would complain most about a lack of atmosphere seem most annoyed at the main thing that's made our atmosphere better? seems a bit backward that's all.

I don't see the clappers as being the main reason for our atmosphere. They don't lead any chants or songs and people using them are the first to stop during songs.

I'll stop having a go at them cause I see I'm in a tiny majority but I won't join the wank fest.

there is definitely not a "wank fest" as you put it, in fact i rarely see anyone say they like that much at all, but everyone loves our atmosphere which, massively coincidentally I'm sure, started to pick up when they were introduced.

The problem with the clappers at the moment is that people are too enthusiastic with them and clap along to absolutely everything, usually about twice as fast as the pace of the song. I've lost count of the amount of times the guys at the back of the Kop are getting something going, the drum is keeping them nicely in time and then the clappers  get involved it instantly just gets turned into a frenzy of waving cardboard. I suppose there's nothing we can do about it at the moment and as people have said I'd rather have it like it is than the silence you get at 80% of the grounds in this league. 

I don't see the clappers as being the main reason for our atmosphere. They don't lead any chants or songs and people using them are the first to stop during songs.

I'll stop having a go at them cause I see I'm in a tiny majority but I won't join the wank fest.

The way I see it is without the  clappers, thousands of people would make no noise, with the clappers thousands of people do make noise.

It would be lovely  to have the whole stadium singing as one in unison for 90 minutes, but until we can get there, having the whole stadium banging cardboard together makes a lot of noise.

If you don't think the clappers improve the atmosphere you need to spend some time sitting in parts of the ground that don't sing.

I think in SK and L1 sometimes you guys get caught up in the noise immediately around you and forget that on the opposite side of the ground it's really not much special.

Our atmosphere picked up when we started singing We Love You (and later the Ben Marshall and Melbourne songs) because they were simple and catchy and the rest of the ground joined in. I was there home against Boro few years ago when We Love You really took off and it doubled the atmosphere in the ground.

The clappers have added to that. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until they get wider appreciation, their impact is that they get people involved who wouldn't otherwise make noise.

Union FS are brilliant at making noise in their section, the drum is good at encouraging noise in L1. But you need a gimmick if you want the posh seats and the families and to join in and that's what's happening now.

I know a lot of the tween crowd are too cool to admit that clappers and generic songs are working, they call them cringe and wish we'd stop, etc. I understand where they're coming from but I still call these people hypocrites. They've been calling for a better atmosphere for years and now they have one. You can't start getting pissy because it's not an atmosphere the way you want it.

I've got to say that's pretty spot on.

• Like 2

For home games I sit in posh-ish seats.  I like to see the game from close to the half way line, I don't enjoy singing much.  Most of the people sitting around me were sitting around me when the team were last relegated from the Premier League.  Prior to the clappers the only time fans in this section sang loud and proud tended to be when people in other sections walked out early when the team were losing to the likes of Tranmere.  "Loyal supporters, clap, clap... clap, clap,clap" was as loud as it got.

Clappers encourage people to make noise.  When there's noise, people in quieter areas feel more confident singing along, so more people sing.  The blokes behind me have started singing.  They get the words wrong, but they're having fun.  They used not to sing songs with profanity in, now they sing some of them and just leave the rude words out or add a different word.  The people next to me clap along to everything.  The pensioner in front is often given a new clapper for the second half by the young blokes a few seats down who don't use theirs because he breaks his with excessive clapping.  

The clappers work. They are not compulsory, nor is singing or standing.  There is more than one way to support the team..

• Like 4

A lot of people aren't particularly enamoured with their own singing voice and singing in public (even if it is just a football song which doesn't require pitch-perfect tone) is somewhat of a confidence issue.

The clappers generate enough noise that people feel like they can sing without really being 'heard' and therefore not end up feeling embarrassed about it.

Get rid of the clappers and I guarantee that the number of people singing would drop as people will go back into their shells.  

• Like 2

People find themselves using their clappers without even realising they're doing it. It sort of just happens. No coincidence our atmosphere has transformed. Personally I'd rather have the noisiest stadium in the country and get called tinpot than sit in a library. Players feed of atmosphere. I just wish Uptown Funk would uptown fvck off.

Edited by Larry_LCFC

At the end of today, how many times do you hear our own players, you know, the reason why we go to the ground week in week out in the first place, encourage us to continue supporting us and applaud the atmosphere we generate?

Let's be frank here, the clappers have revived the place and I genuinely get excited and pumped up now going to the kop, singing and clapping the little cardboard shits until they rip to shreds immediately after Vardy does the same to the opposing defence lol it's all fun and games and that's what it's meant to be.

At the end of the day, there are plenty of sections around the ground for certain fans to cater for their needs so it's up to them, but for the majority of the ground those things have definitely worked, even when Uptown Funk came up pre kick-off, that was hilarious

Edited by MShaffu42

I think many people have a utopian view of how football crowds used to be and to expect the whole crowd to be singing non-stop for 90 minutes are after something that's never existed.

Even in the Anfield golden days you never had this, yes they might all have sung YNWA but only every now and again during the game, most of the time it would have been just the Kop and as big as it was it might have seen like it was the whole crowd but it wasn't.

I've never seen the LCFC crowd joining in for 90 mins, the Main Stand / West Stand has always existed and been full of people that rarely if ever get off their arses or join in and the same can be confidently said about ever PL/FL ground.

To have as we have now with as near as 90 mins of noise as you are likely to get is purely down to the clappers, yes L1 & SK1 are the core singing sections and the rest wouldn't join in if they didn't exist but likewise the whole stadium rarely if every joined in until the clappers turned up.

I'm in the East Stand right up against SK1 so as near as you can get without actually being in there and none of the people near me every joined in the singing until the clappers came, now not only do they regularly join in but they also stand up way more than they ever did.

• Like 2

Clappers have got to stay, you're never going to get a home game which is full of fans like our away following when everyone sings. Honestly couldn't give a fook what established PL sides like Sunderland and Villa say about the clappers when their fans don't sing any more. We have a full noisy stadium watching a winning, exciting team whereas they watch their boring team lose in a half-empty quiet stadium every week - they're jealous.

Clappers have got to stay, you're never going to get a home game which is full of fans like our away following when everyone sings. Honestly couldn't give a fook what established PL sides like Sunderland and Villa say about the clappers when their fans don't sing any more. We have a full noisy stadium watching a winning, exciting team whereas they watch their boring team lose in a half-empty quiet stadium every week - they're jealous.

Dunno which away ends you've been in lately, we're very hit and miss and only sing generic shite like Evrairwigoooooooooo most of the time nowadays. If we're not pretending to be Rangers that is...

Dunno which away ends you've been in lately, we're very hit and miss and only sing generic shite like Evrairwigoooooooooo most of the time nowadays. If we're not pretending to be Rangers that is...

haven't been to an away game since 2013 because I can never get the tickets. we used to be good though, also sat at home end vs Palace last year though (crap experience btw, also never heard a more foulmouthed bunch) and our lot were very decent despite us being so bad that game

haven't been to an away game since 2013 because I can never get the tickets. we used to be good though, also sat at home end vs Palace last year though (crap experience btw, also never heard a more foulmouthed bunch) and our lot were very decent despite us being so bad that game

Thought we were pretty shite at palace last year.  

I wonder though whether the club see the clappers as a permanent fixture from here on in? Surely there must be a plan to stop giving them out eventually (?)

I'd always presumed they were a temporary thing, and that they were introduced without any real plan as to how long they would stay but then just sort of carried on given the success we were having.

I wonder though whether the club see the clappers as a permanent fixture from here on in? Surely there must be a plan to stop giving them out eventually (?)

I'd always presumed they were a temporary thing, and that they were introduced without any real plan as to how long they would stay but then just sort of carried on given the success we were having.

someone posted that they were here for the season.