Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

It took a technophobe like me a while to learn how best to uploaad images here. So I couldn't really put across how gorgeous the coverage can be in Japanese sports newspapers. They are all broadsheet size (any papers still that size in the UK? Telegraph maybe?)  - and the way they set the different fonts over the photos can be really stunning. Anyway, I've kind of worked out what to do so here's a couple of re-posts.

Week 1  Sunderland:

IMG_0635.jpg

Week 2  West Ham:

goal_west_ham_2.jpg

Week 3  Spurs:

IMG_0630.jpg

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

kinell he's only not started one game if he's on the bench for Villa he'll be reaching for his tanto and seppuku himself.

After a sage intervention from halibut (see above) it was agreed that my original translation was not quite right.  Please take halibut's suggested alternative as definitive. Shinji's original comment didn't have the self-pitying tone my version suggested.

It's a 38 game season. I doubt not more than 2 or 3 will play 90% of matches. Many will probably play well under 30.

It's a squad game now and the forwards / midfield tend to rotate the most. Obviously depending on tactics and formation chosen. If Shinji plays 30 games and scores 10 goals, he will have contributed very strongly.

He strikes me as a sensible bloke and the management will talk to everyone left out.

Notice something a little strange in those three Okazaki pictures above? (post number 352)

There's not a single Okazaki boot in contact with the turf.

Several people have commented in other threads recently that Shinji 'spends a lot of time on the deck'. It's something he's talked about himself. Here's a section from his book:

"There’s a reason why I fall over.

Hajime Hosogai (former Japanese international who played for many years in Germany) said something like this in the media: “It’s wonderful to see Oka chan giving everything he’s got.” What he said next was very pleasing: “He dashes in and throws himself about to win the ball for us even when it looks like there’s no chance of him getting it”.

That’s how I see it, too. If people ask why I’m always falling over, I say, “It’s because I’m giving it my all. Even when it’s not a 50-50 ball, it’s possible the defender might make a mistake, or they might slip over. OK, most of the time that might not happen, and I’m diving in to no advantage and clumsily falling on the ground. But if the defender does make a mistake, I win the ball and get an attack going.

Of course, if I keep doing that I’ll end up black and blue and my kit will be filthy. I might look clumsy. Fine. Looking out for that one chance, I’ll keep throwing myself in."

• Like 4

Excellent. I love that attitude! Strikes me as similar to Vardy in a lot of ways

Yeah -- totally. Do you remember the first thing Shinji ever did in a City shirt?  Two minutes in to the Sunderland game he chased a lost cause down to the corner in front of the away fans and flew in to prevent a Sunderland goal kick, to huge applause. Kind of set the tone - along with similar efforts by Vardy, as I recall.

You know who else he reminds me of, being on the ground a lot? Heskey.That might be the most far-fetched comparison imaginable, and the reason they were on the deck a lot might not be the same, but it's something to do with the selfless team ethic. Fellow strikers love playing with someone like that.

Edited by kushiro

Leicester City’s Shinji Okazaki bagged a brilliant brace on Tuesday afternoon as he helped Japan to a 6-0 2018 World Cup qualifying victory away to Afghanistan.

- Shinji Okazaki scores twice for Japan in a 6-0 win over Afghanistan 
- Goals are the striker’s 44th and 45th for his country 
- Japan unbeaten in the second round of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup 

Leicester City’s Shinji Okazaki bagged a brilliant brace on Tuesday afternoon as he helped Japan to a 6-0 2018 World Cup qualifying victory away to Afghanistan. 

The in-form forward again showed the qualities that have earned him a move to the Barclays Premier League with his 44th and 45th strikes for his country. 

Former Manchester United man Shinji Kagawa opened the scoring before team-mate Masato Morishige made it 2-0 at half-time. 

Kagawa added another after the break before two goals in three minutes from Okazaki took the game out of Afghanistan’s reach. His first was a tap-in for 4-0 but his second was a brilliant volley while under pressure to add an emphatic fifth. 

Keisuke Honda made it 6-0 with fewer than 20 minutes remaining and that was how it would end, with Japan moving onto seven points from their three fixtures so far in the second round of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup. 

With Okazaki's national team involvement over for now, he will return to Leicester to join his team-mates ahead of a crucial clash against Aston Villa on Sunday afternoon.

Read more at http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/okazaki-hits-two-in-japan-victory-2676477.aspx#Hq057fUiJ7rvCbjk.99

• Like 1

OK - Rooney's got 50, but does Shinji have 45 or 46?

English wikipedia has him on 45, Japanese wikipedia puts him on 46.

I presumed the Japanese site was probably being a little generous with some dubious own goal, but, well - what do you reckon? It's v. Azerbaijan, 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0J91_EdDA

Anyone know who makes these decisions at international level?

Edited by kushiro

OK - Rooney's got 50, but does Shinji have 45 or 46?

English wikipedia has him on 45, Japanese wikipedia puts him on 46.

I presumed the Japanese site was probably being a little generous with some dubious own goal, but, well - what do you reckon? It's v. Azerbaijan, 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0J91_EdDA

Anyone know who makes these decisions at international level?

That should be Okazaki's goal, even if the defender did not touch it the ball would have went in the goal

Shinji looking good in all blue (1).  This was the game v. Cambodia last week.

IMG_0638.jpg

Shinji looking good in all blue (2). Okazaki and Nagatomo at Tehran airport last Tuesday, waiting for the flight back to Europe after the Afghanistan game. They're watching the England v. Switzerland game on a big screen. Anyone fancy a caption competition?

IMG_0660.jpg

Shinji looking good in all blue (3). Go into a book store here at the moment and Shinji's becoming a bit of a magazine cover star. There's page after page of coverage in this one, the headline here speculating whether he'll move on to a 'mega-club'. Have they not heard about Ranieri's masterplan??

IMG_0662.jpg

Edited by kushiro

I love how Japan gets their players suited up like they're in an '80s mobster movie. Nice work by our man Shinji for wearing a pocket square. White linen--nice choice--just gotta straighten it out a bit. With a funky pinstripe suit like that, though, he could pull off a more adventurous pattern, and maybe puff it out or do one of those 4-point folds.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...