Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Leicester 3 - 3 Arsenal. 18 Years Ago Today.

Obvously a cracker of a game, the Bergkamp hatrick gaining applause from our fans, the fightback, the contentious amount of exra time, Ian Wright and Steve Walsh (among others) having a barny, it had it all!

Would love to hear the views of users old enough to have been there and experienced it for themselves, would love to see some first hand pictures. Looking back at nights like that at Filbert Street makes me long for the current squad to continue making memories for our generation and I truly believe we are the closest we'll ever be to achieving nights comparable to that of of the 3-3 in 1997. 

Walsh didn't kick off Ian wright (who had been subbed) and the whole Arsenal squad surrounded the Ref complaining and it was handbags, I took my mate a Arsenal fan and we sat in the Kop, we must have been 16 i told him "DO NOT CELEBRATE IF ARSENAL SCORE!" because i had seen stuff kick off with away fans in the Kop..

When that 3rd went in from bergkamp he could hardly hold his excitement i remember everyone gutted and he was holding in a smile making a noise that yould tell if he was in pain or ecstasy and he was pulling on my jacket, a few minutes later I got to repay him :)

We are still mates 20 years later and its both our favourite match to this day

Undoubtedly one of the most exciting City games I've seen in very nearly 60 years as a fan. Bergkamp gave a masterclass but City just epitomised the notion of "never quitting". It all panned out in an atmosphere of ever-increasing drama towards its climax right at the death. The game had everything - great goals, sublime talent, flowing football, bravery, commitment, cutting edge and all the twists and turns of the most gripping story. What a game and what a wonderful memory.         

Part of our best start to a season I cam recall. 8 points from four matches against Aston Villa (5th), Liverpool (4th), Man United (1st) and Arsenal (3rd)*. Just an incredible night that looked a cruise for Arsenal for the majority and ended up with a sensational finish.

What a team that was.

*Finishing positions the previous season.

i remember this game so well...one of the best games I've been at, even though in reality it was the 80th minute onwards. There were a group of smug arsenal fans sat in front of us and they got up and went at 2-0...must have been a bit of a shock to get in the car and find it was 3-3  :D

Bergkamps 3rd really was that good as well!!

Remember listening to neville foulger on radio Leicester then later that night watching des lynam on motd say dont miss the end of this one as he introduced the game.

This was well before they introduced the board up for the added time.

Think graham barbers watch must have broke that night

What a night that was.

It also wasn't the first time Walshie headed a last-minute equaliser against Arsenal. He did the same thing in 1991 against them in a League Cup match on the night Ian Wright made his debut for Arsenal and scored his first goal for them. Wrightie probably remembered that.

Was sat in the family stand and was metres away from Bergkamps goal bit was very special. We equalised though so it didn't matter. Hadn't remembered it being that late in the game. Loved the verbals between Walshy and Wright.

Walshy still says to this day that the FA hearing was a right laugh as the pair of them had a quick word and ended up defending each other to ensure no long bans.

Undoubtedly one of the most exciting City games I've seen in very nearly 60 years as a fan. Bergkamp gave a masterclass but City just epitomised the notion of "never quitting". It all panned out in an atmosphere of ever-increasing drama towards its climax right at the death. The game had everything - great goals, sublime talent, flowing football, bravery, commitment, cutting edge and all the twists and turns of the most gripping story. What a game and what a wonderful memory.

Couldn't put it any better than this really.

Unbelievable match. Contained the greatest highs, lows and then highs again I think I've ever experienced watching Leicester.

You have perhaps the greatest hattrick you'll ever see at a City match, coupled with an indomitable spirit, and the magic that is only possible when a match is played under floodlights. It was a school night, arrived more in hope than expectation clutching my season ticket (£90 for a sixth former) and Arsenal were distinctly un Arsenal. They passed, they moved and in Bergkamp they had what in those days was a true star, the sort of player who was never meant to play in our league, the sort of player who belonged to clubcall rumours or football italia on a Sunday - and then second half, 10 minutes left, all hell broke loose.

The thing that sticks with me most is that this was the time when the fourth official didn't announce how much 'additional time' was to be played. They began whistling for full time but the game kept going and going and going, then Elliott equalised and we bagan whistling but the game seemed to keep going and going and going, next Bergkamp scores 'that goal' and they start whistling again but once more the game seemed to keep going and going and going, and then we get 'the corner'...

The noise after the Walsh goal will never be replicated, I think it was Castro who, when asked if the Manic Street Preachers concert in Cuba was loud, said "It cannot be louder than war, can it?", well that goal was louder than war.

I've been a fan for a similar number of years, and like Thracian I remember it as one of the best games I've ever seen. At the time I was living in London, and I wasn't intending to go to the match - I think it was a Tuesday night - but a mate of mine rang up at lunchtime and persuaded me to go. He picked me up on the North Circular at about 4:00, and we got to the pub in time to shove down three or four pints before going to the match.

We were in the Double Decker, and the whole evening was surreal. Bergkamp's goals were, frankly, awesome, but the way we fought back was even better. For me, the best moment was Walshy's equaliser. In the DD, the view was crap, and we were all standing up and craning forwards to try and see the corner coming over. I looked down at the edge of the penalty area, and Walshy came running in, eyes standing out like chapel hat-pegs as they say, and he elbowed Matt Elliott out of the way to smash it into the net with his head. That was when it kicked off with Ian Wright, because Walshy ran over to the Arsenal bench, giving it big licks, and Wright ran up to him doing the same. Handbags, but enormous fun.

I rang my wife from the Western pub in Leicester after the match to get her to record the highlights, and I still have the much loved and much-watched VHS tape. My second favourite City game of all time (after the 5-3 last season). But fvckin' hell - 19 years ago???

I've been a fan for a similar number of years, and like Thracian I remember it as one of the best games I've ever seen. At the time I was living in London, and I wasn't intending to go to the match - I think it was a Tuesday night - but a mate of mine rang up at lunchtime and persuaded me to go. He picked me up on the North Circular at about 4:00, and we got to the pub in time to shove down three or four pints before going to the match.

We were in the Double Decker, and the whole evening was surreal. Bergkamp's goals were, frankly, awesome, but the way we fought back was even better. For me, the best moment was Walshy's equaliser. In the DD, the view was crap, and we were all standing up and craning forwards to try and see the corner coming over. I looked down at the edge of the penalty area, and Walshy came running in, eyes standing out like chapel hat-pegs as they say, and he elbowed Matt Elliott out of the way to smash it into the net with his head. That was when it kicked off with Ian Wright, because Walshy ran over to the Arsenal bench, giving it big licks, and Wright ran up to him doing the same. Handbags, but enormous fun.

I rang my wife from the Western pub in Leicester after the match to get her to record the highlights, and I still have the much loved and much-watched VHS tape. My second favourite City game of all time (after the 5-3 last season). But fvckin' hell - 19 years ago???

I seem to recall they put on a special highlights show on BBC just because the game was so amazing

Archived