Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

3-5-2

Our squad at the moment really seems to favour 3-5-2, but for whatever reason Ranieri doesn't seem to care for it, and I'm not sure why. I do think that generally 4-4-2 (and 4-5-1/4-3-3) is a better all round formation, but we really don't have good options at full back.

Schlupp could be so much more effective as a wing back, and only having one right sided player means we can move de Laet to back up because he really does struggle at times in this league. Albrighton played really well there last season.

Perhaps is a relative lack of options at CB that prevents Ranieri from playing it. He doesn't seem to rate Wasyl, and playing 3 at the back means starting Benalouane or playing a full back as a centre back (Fuchs, de Laet, Chilwell).

As for Mahrez, it's debatable where he is most effective. He was very good behind the strikers at the end of last season. Playing him there also means he has less defensive responsibility. He seemed to spend a lot of time in the middle of the park today in any case:

_85265283_mahrez_leicester_bourn_ave_pos

We have gone pretty backwards in every successive game since Ranieri became manager. The Sunderland game was so Pearson, and in each successive game we have become worse.

Going back to 3-5-2 would be a good start... Although I fear that this is the beginning of our demise.

Instead of fine tuning our 352 with additions and reinforcements, it appears that the whole attacking impetus is disappearing. The performances in the last 2 games have been nothing short of a disgrace

Biggest over reaction I've ever seen

A disgrace? I'm guessing you're a dedicated pearsonite

We have gone pretty backwards in every successive game since Ranieri became manager. The Sunderland game was so Pearson, and in each successive game we have become worse.

Going back to 3-5-2 would be a good start... Although I fear that this is the beginning of our demise.

Instead of fine tuning our 352 with additions and reinforcements, it appears that the whole attacking impetus is disappearing. The performances in the last 2 games have been nothing short of a disgrace

So what do you propose sack Ranieri now? Which Sunderland game do you refer to as we have played them twice in 3 premier league games and btw at their place the performance was dire but the result is all that mattered. Give the guy a chance to introduce his own players Kante/Inler and lets see where we go, neither of these players had a pre season with us nor did Ranieri for that matter. Stop dreaming up problems that aren't there. Good job your not a Chelsea fan you would be screaming for Mourinho to be sacked.

I don't understand why he played it pretty much every match in pre-season, repeatedly said that he recognised that it was what contributed majorly to our turn-around, and then goes back to a back 4 and experiments. Why not experiment in pre-season, and then revert to the 3-5-2 when it becomes obvious, not for the first time, that it clearly doesn't work?

He played 4-4-2 pre season. He switched it from a 3 to a 4 several times. Was obvious then he preferred a 4 when you read his post game comments.

So what do you propose sack Ranieri now? Which Sunderland game do you refer to as we have played them twice in 3 premier league games and btw at their place the performance was dire but the result is all that mattered. Give the guy a chance to introduce his own players Kante/Inler and lets see where we go, neither of these players had a pre season with us nor did Ranieri for that matter. Stop dreaming up problems that aren't there. Good job your not a Chelsea fan you would be screaming for Mourinho to be sacked.

No obviously you cannot sack him now but the board will be concerned by the signing of benaloune and the past 2.5 league games. They should have contingency plans in place in case it does all go tits McGhee.

At the minute I just want him to switch back to the tried and tested 352 and attack team with the same verve and energy at the back end of the season. I fear the crowd villa will turn ugly, not if we lose, but if we stop attacking and stop playing with the tempo that has been our trademark over the last few years.

No obviously you cannot sack him now but the board will be concerned by the signing of benaloune and the past 2.5 league games. They should have contingency plans in place in case it does all go tits McGhee.

At the minute I just want him to switch back to the tried and tested 352 and attack team with the same verve and energy at the back end of the season. I fear the crowd villa will turn ugly, not if we lose, but if we stop attacking and stop playing with the tempo that has been our trademark over the last few years.

You're a troll, aren't you?

"The board will be concerned" lol

They'll be delighted you muppet

You're a troll, aren't you?

"The board will be concerned" lol

They'll be delighted you muppet

This is an example of a person who does not know how to intellectually reply to a reasoned, and well thought out hypothesis, and instead responds with an uneducated personal slur.

Bravo good sir.

Going back to topic, were you happy with the 451 set up? What is it about Claudio Ranieri so far that makes you so sure he is the right man? The vast majority I have spoken to are on the fence, and willing to give him a chance, like myself, however with each game more and more concerns are coming to light.

This is an example of a person who does not know how to intellectually reply to a reasoned, and well thought out hypothesis, and instead responds with an uneducated personal slur.

Bravo good sir.

Going back to topic, were you happy with the 451 set up? What is it about Claudio Ranieri so far that makes you so sure he is the right man? The vast majority I have spoken to are on the fence, and willing to give him a chance, like myself, however with each game more and more concerns are coming to light.

With each game lol lol

5 games unbeaten, 3rd in the league, signing qualify players

And most people I know think we are in better shape than last season

Not quite sure what you are trying to say, maybe the board should also be concerned that he signed Inler and  he can't get on the pitch. 8pts from 4 games should not be so hard to grasp. Ranieri said it would be a difficult game and it was. Bournemouth won the Championship last season and have just put for past West Ham, the West Ham we also beat and the West Ham that have also done a number on Arsenal and Liverpool away. Fine margins Bournemouth were always going to come out all guns blazing and we gave them very little a very tight call against Mahrez and we would have seen a different game, Mahrez not being injured would have also made a difference for us. Ranieri made changes at half time and it worked, Eddie Howe is a switched on manager and Ranieri being also switched on was able to change and turn things around in our favour they offered very little in the 2nd half.

As for the all guns blazing approach did you prefer last seasons home game against Spurs or this seasons?

Bravo good sir.

It's been one bad game for christs sake - he got the 4-5-1 wrong, although the players couldn't even do the basics right so it's not entirely on him. Beyond that there aren't many concerns - he's shown himself more adaptable midgame than Pearson was (and before you go off on one, I was a big fan of Pearson and never agreed with the sacking), he's shown good attacking flair peppered with some sensible game management against West Ham second half - wasn't much attacking, but the goal aside they never really did anything - we closed it out very cleverly, and we had a go at spurs within reason given the heat.

Basically we've had second half of west ham and first half of yesterday that have been below par going forward, but the opposition haven't offered much going forward either. So far there's very little to be concerned about, the attacking intent hasn't been lost and he's seemingly quite quick to learn.

Pearson:

Leicester 0 - Sunderland 0

Sunderland 0 - Leicester 0

Ranieri:

Leicester 4 - Sunderland 2

Yeah 4-2 was so Pearson.

Agree with the majority that the 3-5-2/3-4-1-2 provides the most balance for us as a team. I think we could have played any formation and beat Sunderland on the opening day, they really were that bad. Hope we don't make the same mistakes as last season after another positive start.

Hope Claudio either brings in players able to play the system he wants, or sticks to what was bloody unplayable at the end of last season. Almost every player except Mahrez looks more uncomfortable and exposed in a 4-4-2/4-5-1.

451 was introduced to get Kante in the team, Kante looks a great athlete and a real asset but he looks suspect positionally, he runs around a lot but hasn't been very disciplined in the games where he came on as a sub.

Keeping King and Drnkwater in means that they could hold our shape and Kante had more of a free role to chase the ball and drive forwards.

Playing Kante on the wing means he doesn't have to worry too much about our shape. Obviously the 451 lacked an outlet Vardy plays as far forwards as possible to exploit his pace, but the wide players in a 451 need to get further forwards and closer to the lone striker and not be concerned about defensive duties for this formation to work. When not executed well a 451 leaves the lone striker isolated and easy to pick up.

I do prefer the 523 we played last season and Mahrez will not be nullified in this formation he will have license to go wide and take the piss out of either full back as well as give the centre backs something else to think about.

Where 523 worked last season was in how fluid the front 3 were, it wasn't static Ulloa would end up on the wing, Vardy dropping deep and at times Mahrez was the furthest man forward, it made them impossible to mark and prevented their back line from keeping any sort of shape.

Pearson:

Leicester 0 - Sunderland 0

Sunderland 0 - Leicester 0

Ranieri:

Leicester 4 - Sunderland 2

Yeah 4-2 was so Pearson.

With you on this Babs, imagine what MONreborn was like when his hero started here. Notwithstanding a fantastic 14th place finish and and NP maintaining Premier league football we weren't like watching Brazil for about 6 months and the games against Burnley,Hull and Sunderland last season are hardly going to feature in any premier league promotional video but those 10 points were priceless.

3-5-2 got us out of a deep hole last season.

This season we have 8 points from 4 and we are 3rd,so why change?

OK,we've not had a clean sheet,RDL has looked exposed at times but we have yet to lose.

No pleasing some!

Yep, they are really going to be concerned, about how we are only 3rd and unbeaten in 5 games!

Now I'm not interested in people having a go at me for moaning so don't start. It's constructive criticism and Claudio has done very well so far but today's starting line up had the all the hallmarks of the tactical naivety that had us bottom of the table for 5 months after starting similarly well last season. Hopefully, Ranieri has learnt something today and this will be a mere blip in a successful time here. But - I'm gobsmacked we actually attempted the ill advised 4-5-1 AGAIN having AGAIN started the season positively. Talk about deja-vu.

To me, it is blatantly obvious that we need to go back to 3-5-2. I think we can all agree that today's experiment with 4-5-1 did not work at all. But Ranieri said he wanted 3 in the middle and may also have been trying to compensate for our weaknesses defensively. But 3-5-2 would solve both these issues.

Our weakness in the first 3 matches was our full back positions. It's where West Ham, in particular, got all their joy and where we again really struggled today. De Laet is not good enough, clearly, and Mahrez is hopeless at covering and helping him out. Schlupp, as we saw from his second half display today, is clearly a winger/wing back, not an all out left back. He is far better going forward than defensively, where he often does not understand the basics of stopping crosses etc.

As for Mahrez, he's a 'man in the hole' player. He played there at the back end of last season and it saw him return to form, see his performance against Southampton when he got two match winning goals. In any case, he's been basically playing there anyway, due to the kind of player he is as he's always going to roam even when he's started out wide.

Mahrez did not play well today but he and Albrighton were so deep due to our formation. Neither could link up with Vardy who was ridiculously isolated and they had to beat 3 players when they received the ball to even get into a position where they might cause some danger to Bournemouth. Meanwhile Bournemouth are making simple one-twos between their strikers and wingers and getting in behind us on the wing with ease.

Defensively and going forward we improved markedly when we switched to this formation last season and it clearly still suits the players we have. We can play Kante and Inler if needs be to win the ball and keep things solid, whilst allowing Mahrez, Albrighton and Schlupp to do their thing.

However, I expect to be back to 4-4-2 in two weeks against Villa and I'm not sure that's the right decision. To make the most of our players we have got to drop the weak link at the back and 3-5-2 would do this without stifling the attacking talent we have. Moving forward, I think this has to be the way to go, though I appreciate we've still done well with 4-4-2 so far.

The manager will be judged, by myself anyway, on the same criteria that Pearson was and whilst we can be very happy with how we've started the season, people will quickly get wound up if we make the same mistakes week after week, the sort of thing that plagued us for most of last season. And to be fair to Claudio, he did change things at half time when he realised it wasn't working so fair play to him for that.

I agree with Kitch on all aspects of his post.

Ranieri changing things at the half and not waiting for the standard 60 min mark was one positive in what I saw as a poor game plan. We play best with an attacking style as proven by our record over the last 15 games or thereabouts . We isolated Vardy in the first 45, similar to how we did the same with Kram last year when he played up front alone. It hasn't worked for us.

Would like to see us work off 3 at the back in a 3-5-2 or my personal preference 3-4-1-2. We have the players to interchange in these formations and based on the money we've put out to bolster our midfield and forwards, I see few reasons to play 4 at the back.

451 was introduced to get Kante in the team, Kante looks a great athlete and a real asset but he looks suspect positionally, he runs around a lot but hasn't been very disciplined in the games where he came on as a sub.

Keeping King and Drnkwater in means that they could hold our shape and Kante had more of a free role to chase the ball and drive forwards.

Playing Kante on the wing means he doesn't have to worry too much about our shape. Obviously the 451 lacked an outlet Vardy plays as far forwards as possible to exploit his pace, but the wide players in a 451 need to get further forwards and closer to the lone striker and not be concerned about defensive duties for this formation to work. When not executed well a 451 leaves the lone striker isolated and easy to pick up.

I do prefer the 523 we played last season and Mahrez will not be nullified in this formation he will have license to go wide and take the piss out of either full back as well as give the centre backs something else to think about.

Where 523 worked last season was in how fluid the front 3 were, it wasn't static Ulloa would end up on the wing, Vardy dropping deep and at times Mahrez was the furthest man forward, it made them impossible to mark and prevented their back line from keeping any sort of shape.

Nah.

The problem Ranieri has is that he has too many good midfielders. Dd and King have been playing well until this one, but equally Kante and Inler have looked very good when they've come on. Therefore, he used the fact we didn't win last week against Spurs to play an extra midfielder because up until then, he couldn't really change a winning side. We never ever seem to play well when we play to contain a team. It's just not our style. Vardy is not a lone striker either.

A point in the circumstances is good but I think he got the line up wrong.

The 3-5-2 system seems to bring the best from our players and in so many ways. Tactics aren't best chosen to fit around  what the manager best understands but what makes the players most effective and 4-5-1 has been appalling for us time and again - as well as boring with 4-4-2 no better on too many occasions.

We pose a major threat going forward with 3-5-2 because it enables us to use pace to best effect while maintaining proper support for all parts of our team.

And pace is our major strength. There's no-one in the ;league can match the combined speed of Vardy/Schlupp and DeLaet which means a potential nightmare for opposing defenders as we've shown time and again.

Four-four-two nullifies those threats to the point where we might as well not have them at all.

Furthermore 3-5-2 brings the best from central midfield players King, Drinkwater and, I suspect, Kante when the time comes, because their major strength is fast passing to feet and/or space and those strengths get wasted if there aren't widespread passing options and a selection of runners creating space and stretching defenders so the pacey players can do more damage.

Quite why this should need explaining to an experienced manager I've no idea.  

Archived