Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
norwichfox

Would a sin bin system be fairer?

All these red cards being shown, this season, I would like to see a "sin-bin" system with a minimum of t0 minutes, max of 15 mins for offences where a double yellow card has got a player sent off for some quite trivial reasons, foul and a wrong word with the ref for instance. To punish the whole team for some petty offence is a poor solution (unless it's our opposition of course :)  )

We haven't got any red cards so far yet have we?

Thankfully we had a crap ref yesterday, otherwise Huth was off with a decent ref.

We could change the shape of the ball too?

When Inler gets in the side and gets some of those outside the area shots off, he may well change the shape of the ball..

Would a pitch made out of ice be better?

Good idea, it worked well for us in '63

This needs to be in the general section

My mistake :blush: , it should....mods please move

Wasn't there a proposition to have an orange card which results in a sin bin sentence not too long ago?

I wasn't aware of it, checked and you're right, some French bloke who wanted to eject septic bladder, so can't be all bad. Orang would be a bad choice of colour, purple with gold braid would be nice :whistle:

All these red cards being shown, this season, I would like to see a "sin-bin" system with a minimum of t0 minutes, max of 15 mins for offences where a double yellow card has got a player sent off for some quite trivial reasons, foul and a wrong word with the ref for instance. To punish the whole team for some petty offence is a poor solution (unless it's our opposition of course :)  )

Being a ref myself, having a player say a "wrong" word to the ref is correctly a yellow card. They are doing a job and shouldn't be swore at by some overpaid pre-madonna. its like someone, or sometimes, 4 or 5 players coming into your work and calling you all the names under the sun and having to have the will power to completely ignore it. I very much doubt many people would be able to not say a word and just carry on with what they are doing.

Referees should be allowed to punish players who are violent or abusive with a free shot to the nose.

That'd curb the behaviour in no time.

Or perhaps the ref shouldn't do it, maybe the opposing manager or a volunteer from the crowd?

Good thread this and I was thinking about this very subject last night.

It's not always the refs fault I don't reckon. The fault lies with them 'implementing the letter of the law', which has become so ridiculously petty in some cases (eg. A player gets a 90th minute winner, gets all excited, whips off his shirt and gets a second yellow card).

It's also ruining football matches..as a spectacle. A good example being the Southampton game yesterday which was effectively over before it had began. It was rubbish to watch because we were simply waiting for the Saints to score the first, the second, the third goal.....

Players can be to blame....doing daft things themselves which play into the refs hands...

There is no common sense anymore. The refs have become like robots (because they are ordered to be by the FA). You could literally get a computer to referee a football match these days...analysing each incident, based on whether such and such a player has done one thing or another. The best refs still have that human element...they still talk to the players and explain what's happening.

Whether a sin bin situation would work is debatable. To get a player off the field for twenty minutes would certainly affect the game, but I think the depleted team would probably go all defensive, sit on the ball and wait for the player to return to the field of play.

I really don't know. What I do know is that all these red cards (some clearly valid, some ridiculous) ruin the game as a spectator sport. As an aside, I've been posting in the betting thread for ages (probably over a year now), that football is becoming almost impossible to predict because of the all the sendings off. Only this weekend, I've had small bets on three games where 'my team' has had a player sent off.. In all three it's been a sending off for 'my team' :angry: which effectively knackers the bet often very early on.

@Col, that really depends if it was a justified red or not. You can't complain you lost your bet because a player was sent off for punching someone.

But it is an interesting point about how it affects betting and it is also an industry powerful enough to make a stand.

If Paddy Power recruited some ex referees to create a panel to assess games. There remit would be to decide whether referees have ruined a game. Paddy power or another betting company would then agree to cancel losing bets in games that have been ruined, giving their stake back as betting credit.

First of all they would always be on the ref's side as they will lose out if a game is classed as ruined, secondly it would put pressure on the FA and ref's association to do something about it.

One option is when a red card is issued the fourth official or a TV ref has 5 minutes to overturn or correct a decision. So it may turn out to be a 5 minute sin bin, while the game continues. If after 5 minutes the TV ref sees no reason to overturn the decision it stays as a red.

Archived