Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

NME now free

I would like to take my Rep Point back please :) Webbo, HELP please. I wanted to 'quote' rather than give credit, but got daft.  I like 'Hurricane and might well prefer it to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', but the argument is flawed. As has been stated, the choice has to be subjective. I am sure that if we got people on here to give their 'best song of all time' we would get a whole heap of different answers. I would probably go for something like 'A Day in the Life', but that is not the point and it might change on a day-to-day basis.

We would then have to look for different criteria for judging what is 'great', such as technicality (Dylan) and/or impact (Nirvana), and we are back to division and subjectivity. For you 'Hurricane' is the 'greatest song ever' for others it could be (~and probably is) very different. At the end of the day a panel would have to score on criteria and then thrash it out and comprimise - it would still, however, be subjective, how could it not. By-the-way, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' is not a bad call along with many others that 'might' take that crown.

I've always thought 'A Day in the life' is the best song ever, for me (I take the point), but didn't want the usual "its always the Beatles with you argghh" replies. 

Archived