Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

One year ago today.

Sorry, posted this yesterday but this thread is more relevant (and painful for me).

I had tickets to this game last year; and at the last minute ended up taking to my son to hospital. ( I get a few games each year as I'm in a shared season ticket syndicate)

He was fine, just ended up having his tonsils taken out. I spent the match time staring directly at the ground through the hospital window listening for noise and following BBC text updates on a the infirmary's poor wifi.

When we scored I had to do a silent walk like an egyptian dance up and down the children's ward.

Never make a room full of kids laugh when they have had their tonsils out!

this is all gonna get a bit #deeneyday isnt it 

First year is fine I reckon. Beyond that and we're heading into that territory.

The reaction after Esteban's equaliser though. Doubt I'll ever hear anything like it again. Five minutes after being 3-1 down we equalise. The most decorated Argentine player ever scores on his home debut. The ground erupted in a mixture of joy, elation and disbelief. Incredible moment.

good that earth wind an fire wrote a song about it tho 

Wow! Never thought of that! That's awesome.

:tumbleweed: Don't get it.

Do you remember the 21st night of September?

Love was changing the minds of pretenders

While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing

In the key that our souls were singing.

As we danced in the night,

Remember how the stars stole the night away

Ba de ya, say do you remember

Ba de ya, dancing in September

Ba de ya, never was a cloudy day

Ba de ya de ya de ya

Ba de ya de ya de ya

Ba de ya de ya de ya de ya

My thoughts are with you

Holding hands with your heart to see you

Only blue talk and love,

Remember how we knew love was here to stay

Now December found the love that we shared in September.

Only blue talk and love,

Remember the true love we share today

Ba de ya, golden dreams were shinny days

Love bells was ringing

Our souls were singing

Do you remember, never a cloudy day

Ba de ya, golden dreams were shinny days

Ba de ya de ya de ya

Ba de ya de ya de ya

Ba de ya de ya de ya

Ba de ya de ya de ya

Couldn't get a ticket for that day but this is probably the only time I can say I'm glad I wasn't there.

Met up with my dad and went to the pub a couple of villages away (won't say which one as their method of acquiring the game isn't strictly kosher). Pub was full City fans as usual, but we happened to bump into a mate of mine who was a Man Utd fan - I've known him for about 25 years since we were kids but we've become more acquantances you see every now and then or hear about through other people. (He was always very smug about supporting Man Utd - particularly when they beat us - he's just a bit of nob in general really)

So we ended up sitting together watching this match, and he was being polite but a bit patronising about City, particularly when they went 3-1 up (deservedly so).

Then we won that penalty - he was silenced.

Then Cambiasso scored - he was completely stunned.

And then Vardy scored THAT goal - and I wish I could have remembered his reaction but the pandemonium in the pub was just fvcking immense! Drinks flying everywhere, chairs flying backwards, tables knocked over - everyone was screaming and shouting and celebrating through sheer jubilation and utter disbelief at what we were witnessing.

My mate spent the rest of the game humbled into absolute silence. (I'll never forget that, particularly after holding a grudge since his celebrations on opening day of the season 1997. Git.)

I'd honeslty never seen anything like it. Totally unforgettable. On a personal level I'd had quite a crushing bereavement a few weeks before after a very long terminal illness - I was probably at my lowest ebb at this point but that game had me smiling for weeks. (My grandad had altzheimers so I got to show him the highlights quite a few times - I'll always remember his smile each time, genuine unique joy everytime he saw it! As a sidenote he passed away on the 2nd April, 2 days before we started this amazing run - City have certainly helped me this last year!)

If there's one thing I've learnt about being a Leicester fan it's that it's a bloody rollercoaster supporting them - there may be crushing lows along the way but they're worth it to get the most incredible highs. I doubt many supporters of the 'big' clubs truly would understand this. I honestly feel deeply privileged and proud to support Leicester City

Up the City!

That game sort of compensated for the playoff loss against Watford (and possibly the one against Cardiff). The stuff that dreams are made of - and why the Premier League at times can actually be the most exciting league in the world.

Apart from that, it had a David vs. Goliath feel about it, anyway. A team full of (more or less) nobodies, formed by an English no-nonsene manager, overthrowing a bunch of mercenaries (Chelsea Mk. II) managed by a - as oftentimes alluded to in the media - self-centered egomaniac.

Archived