Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FantasticMrFuchs

Pub fined £5,000 for illegally screening Leicester City matches.

A pub which illegally screened Leicester City matches on Sky has been fined more than £5,000 under a Premier League clampdown.

The Aberdale, in Shackerdale Road, West Knighton, Leicester, was among 13 pubs highlighted this week by the Premier League for showing matches using cheap, foreign broadcasts and not paying a full subscription to Sky.

In total, the pubs have been ordered by courts to pay the Premier League more than £80,000.

A spokeswoman for the Aberdale said it was no longer showing games illegally.

Now, it has a legitimate subscription to BT Sport, she added. A city landlord, who asked not to be named, said: "Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of the licensing trade knows how naughty this is.

"There really is no excuse."

A Premier League spokesman said: "Every pub on this list will have been written to and given an opportunity to stop broadcasting illegally."

Many such cases are taken to court by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact).

Speaking after a Liverpool pub was fined last month, Alison Dolan, deputy managing director at Sky Business, said: "Sky Sports is only available to pubs and clubs in mainland UK via a commercial viewing agreement from Sky – no other method of showing Sky Sports in licensed premises is legal. Sky is committed to protecting our legitimate customers.

"We visit thousands of pubs every season to monitor the games they're showing, as well as investigating suppliers and continuing to support Fact's work to investigate those who are illegally and unfairly seeking to gain an advantage through fraudulent means."

Bruce Cuthbert, director of commercial customers at BT Sport said: "It is regrettable that there are still licensees who are showing live sport

illegally and that we have to resort to formal action.

"We do everything we can to ensure licensees are fully informed of the risk of showing live sport illegally and how they can show live sport on their premises to avoid prosecution."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Pub-fined-5-000-screening-Leicester-City-matches/story-27910252-detail/story.html#ixzz3nfjgIlyo 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

It's shameful that these games are being broadcast around the world but fans in the UK aren't allowed to watch them. I'll never pay a penny to sky or BT while they intentionally limit the amount of games we can watch. Everyone needs to take a step back and realise that people just want to watch the sport, and a service should be provided to allow that to happen.

It's shameful that these games are being broadcast around the world but fans in the UK aren't allowed to watch them. I'll never pay a penny to sky or BT while they intentionally limit the amount of games we can watch. Everyone needs to take a step back and realise that people just want to watch the sport, and a service should be provided to allow that to happen.

I dont think its sky and bt thats the issue. i think the premier league limit the amount of matched available on tv so fans actually turn up the games. Streaming every game on TV will heavily affect attendances up and down the country which I personally am against

I dont think its sky and bt thats the issue. i think the premier league limit the amount of matched available on tv so fans actually turn up the games. Streaming every game on TV will heavily affect attendances up and down the country which I personally am against

Doubt it would affect it at all really. People go to games because they like going to games, they're not going to stop going just because it's being broadcast, especially not when they charge a decent fee for the broadcast. If a season ticket to watch Leicester online costs about the same as a normal season ticket then people will still go to games, the only people viewing the broadcast will be those who can't get to the game or local pubs which is great for business.

The problem is this

"The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright."

If you could take all the above out of the feed somehow then you would be able to legally shown the game

Pretty ridiculous situation really. Yet another example of the Premier League's global ambition being put before football supporters in this country. If people in other countries can watch 3pm kickoffs legally, why can't folks in England?

Not sure who is to blame for this, really.... Not sure i can be so harsh on sky....

Maybe if the Prem didnt charge them so much  for the rights? Or maybe is sky cut their prices a bit?

The thing is... If they let this go and don't bother chasing the copyright, whats to stop all pubs from doing it?

Catch 22 situation, really....

I think there should be something to be allowed for football fans to be able to watch 3pm games somewhere/somehow although I get the whole idea of maybe having the knock on effect to ground attendances.

I don't think it is just the premier league who stop this from happening and think showing is shown in other countries as they are unable to attend the games.

I have been to the Ajax v PSV game this weekend and although the game was shown on sky sports and highlights was available on the sky app. When I got wifi access to see if I could see myself on any of the goals :-) viewing wasn't permitted due to being in the country?

Not sure who is to blame for this, really.... Not sure i can be so harsh on sky....

Maybe if the Prem didnt charge them so much  for the rights? Or maybe is sky cut their prices a bit?

The thing is... If they let this go and don't bother chasing the copyright, whats to stop all pubs from doing it?

Catch 22 situation, really....

Sky willingly bid that daft amount and charge what they do. As much as I loathe the Premier League as an organisation, you can't blame them for TV companies throwing money at them.

It's not like pubs are competing with Sky by showing snide streams either, because Sky don't show 3pm kickoffs.

The reason why 3pm kick offs cannot be watched:

the 1960s, controversial Burnley F.C. Chairman Bob Lord successfully convinced fellow Football League Chairmen that televised matches on a Saturday afternoon would have a negative effect on the attendances of other football league games that were not being televised and as a result reduce their financial income.

As a result, The FA, Premier League and Football League do not want English matches to be televised live between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday within the United Kingdom.

Typical, ****ing Burnley always complaining about money.

The problem is this

"The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright."

If you could take all the above out of the feed somehow then you would be able to legally shown the game

Most foreign streams don't show these clips though, they have their own studios and analysts.

I guess one of the issues with the streams is that many originate from outside Europe and therefore are outside the jurisdiction of the European courts.

The reason why 3pm kick offs cannot be watched:

the 1960s, controversial Burnley F.C. Chairman Bob Lord successfully convinced fellow Football League Chairmen that televised matches on a Saturday afternoon would have a negative effect on the attendances of other football league games that were not being televised and as a result reduce their financial income.

As a result, The FA, Premier League and Football League do not want English matches to be televised live between 2:45pm and 5:15pm on a Saturday within the United Kingdom.

Typical, ****ing Burnley always complaining about money.

Some one should tell the FA, PL & FL that their reasoning for this law is somewhat outdated. By 50 bloody years!

Not really - the argument that if manchester uniteds 3pm kickoff was available on tv, Rochdale would see a decrease in attendance is more than a bit daft; no-one who would have gone to Rochdale is going to stay away because Man Utd are on tv, they can already watch the game if they want very simply. People will already watch on streams, so it's time to stop living in the dark ages and pretending it's a bad thing.

Pretty ridiculous situation really. Yet another example of the Premier League's global ambition being put before football supporters in this country. If people in other countries can watch 3pm kickoffs legally, why can't folks in England?

Money money money. They think if you don't go to games and can't watch your team you'll be forced to buy their overpriced package and maybe watch your club (if it isnt top 6) about 3 times a season. But, you will get to watch West Brom vs Sunderland on a Monday night!!

They need to update their business model and maybe more people would be willing to pay. What about the customer pays £1 (though I don't think it will ever be that cheap lol) per game with an online stream that works? It wont stop the problem, but more people would come around to the idea.

It is funny that my American relatives can watch every game on a stream, but we can't.

The problem is this

Does that mean streamed games are actually legal then. Whenever I've watched them, there's none of the things you describe, only the game.

Archived