Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)?

Roughest part of Leicester(shire)??  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the roughest area of Leicester is?

• Highfields
    • Braunstone
    • New Parks
    • St Matthews
    • Eyres Monsell
    • Saffron Lane
    • Northfields
    • Beaumont Leys
    • ANY OTHER

Having worked with pretty much all of these estates, I'd probably conclude that it's more or less myth and perceptions (often based on ethnic demographics.)

A lot of white guys don't want to walk around the Matthews (including police I know) and not many Asian families would pick Stevo Drive or Neston Gardens as their first choice home.

You get different problems on different estates. Probably the area with the most disruption due to crime I can think of is Brauny Frith. The amount of doors the police kick in up Rowanberry, Yewtree and Mulberry is crazy, mostly drug related.

After that, probably Beaumont Leys.

Everyone thinks either their estate or a "rival" estate is the worst though, that'll never change.

Having worked with pretty much all of these estates, I'd probably conclude that it's more or less myth and perceptions (often based on ethnic demographics.)

A lot of white guys don't want to walk around the Matthews (including police I know) and not many Asian families would pick Stevo Drive or Neston Gardens as their first choice home.

You get different problems on different estates. Probably the area with the most disruption due to crime I can think of is Brauny Frith. The amount of doors the police kick in up Rowanberry, Yewtree and Mulberry is crazy, mostly drug related.

After that, probably Beaumont Leys.

Everyone thinks either their estate or a "rival" estate is the worst though, that'll never change.

My Aunt & Uncle live on yewtree, he still has his front door though.

When we're looking for our house around 23 years ago starter homes were around £40kish. There was a house in the property pages ,for ages, in Braunstone for £10k. Never even tempted to look at it.

When we're looking for our house around 23 years ago starter homes were around £40kish. There was a house in the property pages ,for ages, in Braunstone for £10k. Never even tempted to look at it.

Should have bought it as an investment. Probably worth £10,500 now.

I used to be a postman & have delievered to many of the areas already mentioned.  It was quite a few years ago now, so some of the areas may have changed a little.  A lot of postman wouldn't deliver around St. Matthews & quite a few postman got mugged of their postbag.  I never posted around there, but did Braunstone, New Parks, Boggy Fleas, Saff.

The Saff is fine & I've a few friends around there.  The same goes for the Monsell.  Northfields/Gypsy Lane is rough.  Each estate seems to be generally fine, but there are usually one or two streets that just seem a lot worse than the rest & are a complete dive.  New Parks & Braunstone ain't bad.

Mulberry/Yewtree/Tatlow/Dupont Gardens is not good.  Needles everywhere & a constant stink of weed in the air.  More addicts than most areas asking the postman in the street for their giro, because they couldn't wait half hour for it to be delivered - so they could go & calm their nerves.  You aren't supposed to hand over post in the street, but I weren't risking anything to a smackhead with no teeth & a nervous disposition.  It had more than it's fair share of prison letters.  It was quite easy to spot which houses had their partner inside by the size & design of 'letters home'.

Everyone who lives in the areas mentioned are soft as shite everyone knows its the Glenfield Ghetto thats full of hard cnuts.

I don't know what it is about Tesco but it seems to attract rough people

Guest MattP

New Parks is fine these days apart from the odd spot.

From that list I'd day Highfields, it was like walking through a totally different World last time I was in it.

See this is exactly what I mean. Personally like Braunstone, best estate I've worked with. Feels far more like an actual community than a lot of others.

There's almost a sense of pride in their community and they do stick up for each other. Doesn't stop them fighting each other at the same time though. 

I grew up near the Beeches pub, so naturally I went to school with a lot of Dodgites lol. Some are still friends, but what a lot of them do is appalling. 

I voted Monsell, purely on appearance and sunday morning football there. I've never set foot in Highfields or St Matthews. 

Archived