Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Cambiasso or Kante

Not sure how you can compare. Different roles at different times. Had Cambiasso stayed, I think we'd be starting Cambiasso and Kante, and Cambiasso would look even better than he did with the safety engine of Kante next to him. But given how brilliant Drinkwater has been (and I genuinely think he has benefited from a year in Cambiasso's presence) it's worked out for us. In summary: thanks, Estaban, it was an unforgettable season and now we move on.

our form in the last 9 games of last season when cambiasso was dominating whole teams not just midfields is better than any of our form with kante this season. we can all make pointless observations like that and the one i made on page 1 about cambiasso being a la liga winning galactico at the age kante has moved from caen to leicester. 

the fact of the matter is last season when we figured out how to play well cambiasso was incredible (he was good all along but was another level in the last quarter) and now we've moved on a notch kante is as incredible, just at different stuff. im very happy i got to see our best ever player play so passionately for us and keep us up, and im just as happy that kante has joined as a relative nobody and is proving just as effective in a team that is going to win the league. 

what a year 2015 has been to be a city fan. unless you spent the first half unable to enjoy the greatest ever escape because you hated one of the main men responsible for it. gotta pity them really. 

It does make me laugh when people get so heated over things like this. I don't remember us having it so good. It's the same as the Pearson v Ranieri debates - is it not possible to like both? I do, a lot.

Not sure how you can compare. Different roles at different times. Had Cambiasso stayed, I think we'd be starting Cambiasso and Kante, and Cambiasso would look even better than he did with the safety engine of Kante next to him. But given how brilliant Drinkwater has been (and I genuinely think he has benefited from a year in Cambiasso's presence) it's worked out for us. In summary: thanks, Estaban, it was an unforgettable season and now we move on.

If Cambiasso had  stayed I think  there is  a good chance we would still be playing 532/343/523 it played to his and  others strengths, now we have Kante and Fuchs and Drinkwater and Simpson stepping up, we can play a back 4 with just 2 CMs in front.

Now stop it...enough of the reality.

I genuinely cannot fathom how some people would even contemplate dropping Drinkwater (crucial cog in a team currently top of the Prem) for last season's Cambiasso who was pretty much ever present in a team that was bottom for 2 thirds of the season.

This season....currently top......last season.....mainly bottom.

A Cambiasso of four years ago would be a no brainer. He was probably the best central midfielder in the world and truly world class. THAT I'd understand.

Some of the posts in this thread. I just don't. Again.

Who has?

our form in the last 9 games of last season when cambiasso was dominating whole teams not just midfields is better than any of our form with kante this season. we can all make pointless observations like that and the one i made on page 1 about cambiasso being a la liga winning galactico at the age kante has moved from caen to leicester. 

the fact of the matter is last season when we figured out how to play well cambiasso was incredible (he was good all along but was another level in the last quarter) and now we've moved on a notch kante is as incredible, just at different stuff. im very happy i got to see our best ever player play so passionately for us and keep us up, and im just as happy that kante has joined as a relative nobody and is proving just as effective in a team that is going to win the league. 

what a year 2015 has been to be a city fan. unless you spent the first half unable to enjoy the greatest ever escape because you hated one of the main men responsible for it. gotta pity them really. 

Eh?

Just because some of us didn't think Cambiasso was as utterly fantastic as Scouse did, doesn't mean we hated him?

You make some good posts. Every so often you let yourself down with nonsense like this.

As a season ticket holder of 30 odd years, I loved the great escape. And at West Brom away, for example, celebrated Vardy's late winner with as much gusto as Walsh's equaliser in front of the spion kop. Were you there?

Sad how Col can't appreciate how good Cambiasso was for us purely because he got it wrong with the whole Cattermole thing.

Funny that actually, I've still not seen him hold his hands up. It would save him a hell of a lot of ribbing if he just admitted that Cambiasso was superb for us and that Cattermole would have been ****ing awful.

Cambiasso was ****ing superb for us in that run. Drinkwater and Kante are ****ing superb for us in this run. Cattermole would have been ****ing awful in both. Get. Over. It.

Eh?

Just because some of us didn't think Cambiasso was as utterly fantastic as Scouse did, doesn't mean we hated him?

You make some good posts. Every so often you let yourself down with nonsense like this.

As a season ticket holder of 30 odd years, I loved the great escape. And at West Brom away, for example, celebrated Vardy's late winner with as much gusto as Walsh's equaliser in front of the spion kop. Were you there?

i was merely saying i pitied you for the run in last season because you made a comment almost a year earlier that maybe cattermole would be a better choice than cambiasso. i would've been well annoyed if i'd backed myself into such a hole that one of the best two months of supporting this club had to be overlooked so i could try and claim i was right in the first place, even though i really wasn't. 

But what he is saying about Cambi is 100% true. It has nothing to do with Catermole which several of you are bringing up to try and justify your overlauding of Cambi. Cambi had his good points but even in our incredible run he may have been behind James.

Drinky and Kanté this season are better than he was last season.

Lets get things in perspective. Cambiaso was a proven winner having won all of the highest honours in the game for clubs and country. Kante on the other hand is a talented young player on the way up, but yet until we signed him none of the big clubs showed any interest. Cambiaso was on the way down when playing for us and yet he still shone in the toughest league in the World.

But their also different types of Midfielder cambi was more attacking while Kante more Defensive.

Cambiaso experience which he passed on to our young players was definitely instrumental in our survival.

Kante speedy and crucial interceptions has endeared him to everybody. But to be named alongside Cambiaso of a few years ago is stretching the imagination too far. He may well go on to achieve a similarly high career and hopefully with us.

i was merely saying i pitied you for the run in last season because you made a comment almost a year earlier that maybe cattermole would be a better choice than cambiasso. i would've been well annoyed if i'd backed myself into such a hole that one of the best two months of supporting this club had to be overlooked so i could try and claim i was right in the first place, even though i really wasn't.

If you even bothered to read back through the threads all that time ago, you'd see I was wanting a younger, energetic ball winner at the club. Someone who was defensively minded. To occupy the hole in front of the defence.

I mentioned Cattermole as an EXAMPLE of such a player. Why? He was the first one that came to the top of my head. He'd been effective at helping Sunderland to stay up during the previous season and had been their joint player of the season.

I wanted this TYPE of player far more than Esteban Cambiasso..an ageing player who Inter had let go and who had plied his recent trade in a division far slower than the Premiership. And who had been sub for Inter for some of that season.

The whole Cattermole thing has been used, not surprisingly on here, as an argument to just about everything I've ever posted about Cambiasso since. We now have such a player...in Kante..who is ten times the player Cattermole is.

So I'm happy. I'm happy even that Cambiasso has gone. Why? Because it's given Drinkwater the chance he needed to stake a claim in the first team. And he's taken it this season with great effect.

So if you and others still want to counter every argument I've made about Esteban with the same old tripe..Lee Cattemole..be my guest. I can't stop you. I'm afraid however, I'd expect no less.

Your comment about some of us 'hating' Cambiasso (again, if you bothered to read you'd see I've made very many posts praising the man) and not being happy about the 'great escape' however, remains juvenile and adds nothing to any discussion on anything.

I've got to say you are talking a load of rubbish in this thread. 

Was talking about this one the other day over a pint ....   but it was whether Cambo/James last season was a better midfield pairing than DD/Kante this season .....   now don't just dive in but have a think and forget our current position as other players have upped their game this season.     And which pairing scored (or was capable of scoring) more goals ....    ?? 

If you even bothered to read back through the threads all that time ago, you'd see I was wanting a younger, energetic ball winner at the club. Someone who was defensively minded. To occupy the hole in front of the defence.

I mentioned Cattermole as an EXAMPLE of such a player. Why? He was the first one that came to the top of my head. He'd been effective at helping Sunderland to stay up during the previous season and had been their joint player of the season.

I wanted this TYPE of player far more than Esteban Cambiasso..an ageing player who Inter had let go and who had plied his recent trade in a division far slower than the Premiership. And who had been sub for Inter for some of that season.

The whole Cattermole thing has been used, not surprisingly on here, as an argument to just about everything I've ever posted about Cambiasso since. We now have such a player...in Kante..who is ten times the player Cattermole is.

So I'm happy. I'm happy even that Cambiasso has gone. Why? Because it's given Drinkwater the chance he needed to stake a claim in the first team. And he's taken it this season with great effect.

So if you and others still want to counter every argument I've made about Esteban with the same old tripe..Lee Cattemole..be my guest. I can't stop you. I'm afraid however, I'd expect no less.

Your comment about some of us 'hating' Cambiasso (again, if you bothered to read you'd see I've made very many posts praising the man) and not being happy about the 'great escape' however, remains juvenile and adds nothing to any discussion on anything.

Col in "I was right all along" shocker.

You really are a parody of yourself these days.

Archived