Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Leicester in Bob Dylan's 'Don't Look Back'

Maybe it's living so far away now that does it, but watching that 1965 film makes me so nostalgic. I love that bit after Dylan's De Montfort Hall concert when they're trying to get the girl off the roof of their car as it speeds down University Road. The car turns right into London Road and  you can see the Midland Red bus going down the hill and the old style Corporation bus climbing the hill in the opposite direction. And you can clearly see the road sign 'University Road' on the wall in front of the hotel on the corner. A few seconds later as Pennebaker's camera swings round you can see the church spire on the left.

I'd love to know who the girl on the car was, or who those earnest guys chatting to him in the De Montfort Hall dressing room were ('nobody listens to words nowadays').

That concert (along with all his other 1965 tour performances) finally became available last month, but there's no way I'm shelling out hundreds of pounds for the collector's edition of 'The Cutting Edge'. The 6 CD version was expensive enough (but worth it).

Is this clip on youtube? I can only see a reference to "Don't look back 1967."

My late Mother worked at the Grand Hotel in that era and she got Dylan's autograph, which she said was given very reluctantly,

Unfortunately, it can no longer be found.

My late Mother worked at the Grand Hotel in that era and she got Dylan's autograph, which she said was given very reluctantly,

Dylan is a hero of mine and I've read before about his reluctance at autographs. I don't think he likes all that side of fame.

I've read and viewed about his relationship with the media which doesn't seem positive. Must have been very frustrating for him though because everybody questions his lyrics because they are that good.

Shane you've lost the autograph. I guess a photo would have been better, and maybe treasured more, but probably impossible to get.

Yeah - that's the one. Filmed in 1965, released in 1967. The one where they've muted the sound for copyright reasons, right? The bit I was mentioning about University Road / London Road is from 28.05 to 28.30.  Those Italian subtitles are referring to Dylan and Joan Baez shouting  for someone to get the 'chick' off the top of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmm5G0ZDPA

The day before the De Montfort Hall concert he'd played in Liverpool, so he probably made an overnight journey from Liverpool to Leicester. The journey back from Anfield yesterday would have been a bit different. The M6 was only partially completed back then, right? 

More trivia about the film - the part in Liverpool outside the Adelphi Hotel is weird because the city looks so deserted. Why ? - that day (May 1st) was FA Cup Final day - Liverpool finally winning it for the first time.  I like to imagine a car full of cool dudes from the States, driving down the A5 (maybe?) after the concert and being totally bemused as they see hoards of delirious scousers passing in the opposite direction.

Have you seen the bit in 'No Direction Home' where the fans are clamouring for autographs through the car window and Dylan is saying "You don't NEED my auograph. If you NEEDED it, I'd GIVE it to you!"   I think that was from the same 1965 tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Dylan is a hero of mine and I've read before about his reluctance at autographs. I don't think he likes all that side of fame.

I've read and viewed about his relationship with the media which doesn't seem positive. Must have been very frustrating for him though because everybody questions his lyrics because they are that good.

Shane you've lost the autograph. I guess a photo would have been better, and maybe treasured more, but probably impossible to get.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah - that's the one. Filmed in 1965, released in 1967. The one where they've muted the sound for copyright reasons, right? The bit I was mentioning about University Road / London Road is from 28.05 to 28.30. Those Italian subtitles are referring to Dylan and Joan Baez shouting for someone to get the 'chick' off the top of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmm5G0ZDPA

The day before the De Montfort Hall concert he'd played in Liverpool, so he probably made an overnight journey from Liverpool to Leicester. The journey back from Anfield yesterday would have been a bit different. The M6 was only partially completed back then, right?

More trivia about the film - the part in Liverpool outside the Adelphi Hotel is weird because the city looks so deserted. Why ? - that day (May 1st) was FA Cup Final day - Liverpool finally winning it for the first time. I like to imagine a car full of cool dudes from the States, driving down the A5 (maybe?) after the concert and being totally bemused as they see hoards of delirious scousers passing in the opposite direction.

Thanks!

Archived