Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Are the clappers rubbish?

I always like reading the oppositions forum blogs and the post match threads can be very entertaining and do across clubs carry a common theme of stating the clapper used by City fans should be binned as they as an embarrassment. Should they go or should they be used to raise the noise and get up the opposition fans sensibilities?

I personally think anything that winds up the opposition has to be a good thing. Ferguson practiced that art expertly for 30 years. The phone lights didn't go down too well either, reminded too many of take that concerts :). Oowwwww.

Don't care what others think to be honest. They're as harmless as those old wooden clackers that used to be taken way back when and funnily enough the only time it's brought up is when we've absolutely creamed a team, on the pitch and on the terraces.

I understand why other fans slate them. We'd probably be doing the same if Derby or someone had them. But they have undoubtedly improved the atmosphere (although of course we will perhaps never know how much the atmosphere would have improved WITHOUT the clappers since their introduction coincided with one of the best runs of form in the club's history).

They do encourage people who would not normally join in the chants to do so. That has to be good, right?

All i know is that we're top of the league and other clubs fans will say anything to bring us down. Seems a coincidence that every team we beat played shit, had an off day and we were lucky. How can we be lucky after 23 games, being top in the hardest league in the world. To me, it feels very similar to the championship year when we blitzed it, the one that Burnley won and qpr sang we are the champions at wembley. The clappers are great for our club and nowadays you hardly hear the away fans. Too many people worrying about what other people think.

Have people still not noticed that a large percentage of those using clappers now join in the singing when the used to sit in silence.

Why is this still being questioned,, yes preferably it would be better and viewed as such if fans brought their own  but they've  proved their worth.

If people that don't  like don't  use them because it's  pretty obvious that plenty are happy to do so as it makes them feel included.

I don't  use them preferring  to clap with my hands

We shall move the kop too.

Not a major fan but the fact is they work. Your not forced to use them and since people that otherwise would stay silent now spur on the team, they can only be a good thing. Who cares what any other team thinks, were breaking all the rules and giving a two finger up to the footballing establishment and status quo in terms of the league. Many teams don't like that, we going to stop what were doing there too, just to appease some traditionalists?

Opposition fans always mock things that other clubs do, especially if it's successful. If another club had a good atmosphere because of them we'd call it tinpot.

Honestly though, who cares?

They work. I'm fed up of discussing them to be honest. They're here to stay and I'm fine with that.

I used to hate them, I still don't use mine, usually give it away to my mate's kid as he tends to wear his out. But they're at least 50% of why our atmosphere is as good as it is.

They served and purpose and have helped with noise, they certainly help drown out the away fans, however they also drown out song lyrics, you can just hear the clappers at times.

Wouldn't be against them being ditched for a few weeks and see what happens.

All i know is that we're top of the league and other clubs fans will say anything to bring us down. Seems a coincidence that every team we beat played shit, had an off day and we were lucky. How can we be lucky after 23 games, being top in the hardest league in the world. To me, it feels very similar to the championship year when we blitzed it, the one that Burnley won and qpr sang we are the champions at wembley. The clappers are great for our club and nowadays you hardly hear the away fans. Too many people worrying about what other people think.

If 'luck' is a factor in our wins, then that loosely suggests that - without luck - our chances of winning would be less than 50%

For us to win THIRTEEN games this season 'due to luck', the chances of that happening are about 0.01%. (10000/1)

OT. Since the clappers were introduced regularly we've repeatedly been praised for having the best atmosphere in the division, and in some cases the country, exceeding the clubs who are generally considered top atmospheres like Palace. Who cares if the fans some team who can't beat us thinks they're tinpot? As far as I'm concerned, a few fans from the likes of Sunderland, Everton, Palace etc can think we're tinpot all they like. At the end of the day, we're in with a chance of winning the league, while they're stuck floundering in mid-table - or worse.

We're three points clear at the TOP of the Premier League, losing 1 home game this season. Is that all down to the clappers? No, but they have definitely played a part in the atmosphere. An improved and positive atmosphere can/has influenced performances on the pitch.

Who cares man!!!!!!!!!!

Just enjoy it all.

The fact is that plenty of the ground didn't get involved before they were introduced. People should participate but they didn't. Now we have different sections of fans standing up and singing whilst most of the ground is involved in some way.

They might be tinpot or whatever but we have a good atmosphere at the ground, the place feels like home now and if it needs a bit of artificial help then so be it. I'd rather that than be sat in the morgue-like stadium for years in the Championship.

If you're using a clapper you can't be playing with your phone.

STAY!

Hadn't thought of that, must stay for me, although could they be re-designed to make a louder deeper noise, maybe use thicker card, they might last  longer then too.

If anyone can design  a better clapper there is £10,000 every home game contract up for grabs.

Can't stand them. It's a myth that they're the cause of our "great" atmosphere because people don't bother using them when we're not playing well - i.e. when we need to support our team the most. If it's got more people singing so be it, but I now think the same people could live without them and use their hands instead.

If 'luck' is a factor in our wins, then that loosely suggests that - without luck - our chances of winning would be less than 50%

For us to win THIRTEEN games this season 'due to luck', the chances of that happening are about 0.01%. (10000/1)

OT. Since the clappers were introduced regularly we've repeatedly been praised for having the best atmosphere in the division, and in some cases the country, exceeding the clubs who are generally considered top atmospheres like Palace. Who cares if the fans some team who can't beat us thinks they're tinpot? As far as I'm concerned, a few fans from the likes of Sunderland, Everton, Palace etc can think we're tinpot all they like. At the end of the day, we're in with a chance of winning the league, while they're stuck floundering in mid-table - or worse.

Don't forget how we ended last season. I bumped into Brian Little a few months ago on a train and he said he thought we'd be up there on the basis that the end of last season and this season is now well beyond a lucky stream or good run of form

Can't stand them. It's a myth that they're the cause of our "great" atmosphere because people don't bother using them when we're not playing well - i.e. when we need to support our team the most. If it's got more people singing so be it, but I now think the same people could live without them and use their hands instead.

They could, but they won't. Unfortunately the incentive is what keeps a lot involved and hopefully if Union FS continue to grow they'll eventually become obsolete.

Imagine a full Kop of Union FS!  

The owners introduced them at the West Ham game last season,which was the start of our survival bid,since them the results speak for themselves,I thought the novelty might wear off but it hasn't,the Thais are very superstitious and for as long as they and even us believe that they've had an impact they won't be getting rid anytime soon.

The clappers are great, because half of our fans won't sing or clap longer than a few words of our traditional songs and won't sing the newer ones.

The clappers seem to be a nice easy way for the less verciferous fans to get involved atmosphere wise.

Initially I was sceptical but now, they make a good racket so why not?

Other fans can whinge all they like, if I had a bagfull of ****s I wouldn't give them 1.

Archived