Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Burtonsfox

A gift for the owners from the fans

I vote for the tifo idea - I think they would appreciate it, a simple gesture saying thanks goes a long way .... if it's possible someway of including the 'lucky' flag designs that are all around the ground something from their culture

I think a lot of you are missing the point... It's not the actual gift that they would appreciate but the thought that goes into it...

Personally a banner saying Thank you in Thai would be great

Donating money online takes very little thought or effort on the part of the done. 

Failing that some vouchers for boots, slip some money behind the bar at the last Plantagenet or a few bottles of dandelion and burdock should do the trick

Donating money online takes very little thought or effort on the part of the done.

But the person organizing it would then buy a gift?

I'm with Davie on this one.

Whilst well intentioned, buy a gift for the owners is ultimately the wrong thing to do.

Don't be silly. It's not wrong. shooting someone is wrong. Stealing money is wrong. Getting drunk and then driving your car is wrong. Buying someone a gift because you appreciate them is just something someone would like to do. If you don't want to, then don't contribute. But it's not an inherently wrong thing to do.

Don't be silly. It's not wrong. shooting someone is wrong. Stealing money is wrong. Getting drunk and then driving your car is wrong. Buying someone a gift because you appreciate them is just something someone would like to do. If you don't want to, then don't contribute. But it's not an inherently wrong thing to do.

Quite why you chose the analogies you did, I don't know? They have nothing to do with the discussion regarding how one could show gratitude.

It is the wrong thing to do; as others have explained buying a gift to show thanks isn't the norm in Thai culture, it would ultimately be an empty gesture. Buying a gift for someone you know personally is fine; buying a gift for what is effectively a complete stranger is odd. As Davie has put, a letter of thanks is far more appropriate and - in my opinion - suitable.

Quite why you chose the analogies you did, I don't know? They have nothing to do with the discussion regarding how one could show gratitude.

It is the wrong thing to do; as others have explained buying a gift to show thanks isn't the norm in Thai culture, it would ultimately be an empty gesture. Buying a gift for someone you know personally is fine; buying a gift for what is effectively a complete stranger is odd. As Davie has put, a letter of thanks is far more appropriate and - in my opinion - suitable.

But we are British not Thai? And that's a British trait- to buy something to say thank you.

We are, and as I said 'buying a gift for what is effectively a complete stranger is odd'.

That's your opinion. There's a difference between what you think we should do and what is by definition wrong. Hence the examples

Earlier.

In a serious suggestion how about a TIFO with thanks written in Thai?

No.

As much as the owners have been very good, TIFOs for owners should never, ever happen.

Let's not forget our starting 11 cost an average of about £2m per player. We don't want to give the impression they've bankrolled our success like a Man City, Chelsea or Blackburn.

That's your opinion. There's a difference between what you think we should do and what is by definition wrong. Hence the examples

Earlier.

There are an infinite amount of things which people believe to be wrong, almost non of them have anything at all to do with what is being discussed here.

I believe the gesture is wrong, I have explained why I believe it is wrong.

To the question 'how do you show gratitude to a billionaire stranger?', my answer (along with I suspect many others) would not be 'have a whip round for a gift'.

Some right mardy gits on here, I shouldn't be surprised though given how controversial the idea that NP had any positive effect on the club before he left apparently was.  Have to be incredibly bitter not to appreciate how good our owners are in a world where businessmen can freely destroy their clubs.  In an ideal world you shouldn't have to make a show of thanks when somebody does the right thing, but this isn't an ideal world and it's up to us to show our appreciation for a good thing instead of taking it for granted like a bunch of spoiled kids who have already forgotten where we were just half a decade ago.  Fwiw I reckon the tifo idea is definitely the best option but gratitude is gratitude and we shouldn't chide each other for trying to display it.

Some right mardy gits on here, I shouldn't be surprised though given how controversial the idea that NP had any positive effect on the club before he left apparently was.  Have to be incredibly bitter not to appreciate how good our owners are in a world where businessmen can freely destroy their clubs.  In an ideal world you shouldn't have to make a show of thanks when somebody does the right thing, but this isn't an ideal world and it's up to us to show our appreciation for a good thing instead of taking it for granted like a bunch of spoiled kids who have already forgotten where we were just half a decade ago.  Fwiw I reckon the tifo idea is definitely the best option but gratitude is gratitude and we shouldn't chide each other for trying to display it.

So true!

Tie a load of tin cans to the underside of their helicopter and spray "Just become Champions / Champions League" over it.

Re-instate the Abbey Park show in their honour.

If ordering a banner with a Thai message on make sure the guy printing it isn't a mischevious Forest fan unless you're capable of checking the translation before displaying it.

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd better just say Hi and address some of the comments made above.

I understand the skepticism from some people and respect anyone who doesn't want to get involved.

It's not a thank you for the millions of pounds the've invested in the club which of course is greatly appreciated. It's for all the extra touches that go to the match day experience -the flags, clappers (now the norm), breakfasts for away supports along with the T-shirts, scarfs etc, the free beers, the photo booth and goal posts, the crazy golf and funfair all of which were free.

I also know it's going to be difficult to find the perfect gift, after all what do you get a billionaire? but just because they are billionaires doesn't mean some of us can show our appreciation and say a thank you. 

With the donations there will be total transparency with every penny accounted for all to see. I am not doing this for any other reason but to say thank you, nothing in it for me and there seem to be some that feel the same way.

But I do understand how some people are very cautious

Dean Hawthorne 

Can't find anything on fb Dean. I like the idea and want to know more.  Are you the Seahawks fan?

If this is a serious suggestion - can't be arsed tolook it up and check - why but donate the money to an appropriate charity. Maybe ask the owners who they'd like to to go to. At least then everyone comes out of it with a shred of dignity.

If this is a serious suggestion - can't be arsed tolook it up and check - why but donate the money to an appropriate charity. Maybe ask the owners who they'd like to to go to. At least then everyone comes out of it with a shred of dignity.

They are billionaires they can self fund any charity on the planet

They can't hold up 15000 foil sheets on der own !

This.

Wasting money on a gift for a billionaire is odd to say the least. I am sure the word cringe has been used.

Still do not see what you are thanking them for. They are running a business as they should. Your thanks is buying their product by buying your ticket.

Do you buy the bosses a gift at work when they dont manage to bankrupt the company?

Its a mad world we live in, and probably a reflection of modern football, when fans feel they have to reward owners for not being fcuktards

Archived