Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
catfordfox

What happens when teams start to drop deep against us?

The mind games have definitely started now too... The fact both MP and AW have now openly credited us as being title contenders shouldn't be considered as purely praise or whatever...

... it is a clear ploy to try and get that thought as an even bigger reality in our players heads in the hope it will effect our play / decision making.

One of the joys of our play at the moment is the freedom, speed of thought and positivity we show - so it's no surprise what's going on now in terms of mind games to try and alter that.

If that is mixed with say the likes of Norwich and/or West Brom dropping deep and managing to frustrate us for 60+ minutes, it will be interesting to see how we react.

Indeed, in some ways those two games may be harder than the Arsenal game given the weight of expectation on them.

I admit this is something I am a little worried about. The proof?.. Bournemouth, both Bournemouth matches, they were deep against us and we struggled badly, we couldn't win the away or home game and they even had 10 men and we still hardly had any good chances. It is something that concerns me a little when we start playing some of the bottom sides soon.

Bournemouth away I disagree that they sat deep. I think they largely outplayed us, had a good share of the play and we couldn't really get going until the last 10 as they pressed and harried us very well. At home was a different story as they had 10 men behind the ball with no intention of attacking. The teams we will be playing will have to have some intention of attacking e.g Norwich, Swansea, Newcastle all need points.

I think we're over analyzing. We've brushed aside every type of team and with the way we're going on at the moment I can't see many people stopping us.

I do worry about this to a degree, but equally some recent games have shown we sit deep against the 'better quality' teams as a deliberate game-plan, it doesn't mean we are incapable of pressing forward and attacking.  Anyway, we'll see. This team have made a living of proving doubters wrong, so let's see it continue :)

We scored 3 against Tony Pulis' West Brom already this season, and looking at those 6 teams he mentions we scored 15 goals this season.

This belief that we sit back and invite teams on to us is a massive mistake, we press high and attack quickly playing high risk balls that may only come off a quarter of the time, but when they do it results in a great chance. The upshot of this is we give away possession. When we have the ball and an option of a high risk through ball or a low risk backwards pass we go for the attacking option.

This constant losing of possession makes people think we sit back and defend deep trying to absorb pressure and hit on the counter. We don't we press high we press as a team and we see any opportunity as one to attack. If a team sets up deep and passes around the back we will press them high, win the ball further up the pitch and launch more attacks. We are not a counter attacking team, we are a quick attacking team and will attack from anywhere in any situation. The counter attack is just one aspect, we are scoring from set-pieces, neat passing moves, high pressing and forcing a mistake, long range volleys, individual skill, crosses and goal mouth scrambles. I know it makes it easy to class us as a one dimensional counter attacking side but we really are much more than that. I think we have scored the most from counter attacking moves, but that is still only 5 goals (maybe 6 after Mahrez's goal on Saturday)

We've been top for most of this season, we are the top scorers in the league, do they not think teams have tried to stop us scoring?

Bournemouth game was an exception, 10 men behind the ball with no intention to attack after missing a penalty in the middle of an energy sapping festive period with a striker playing with an injury.

completely agree. This is the great thing about having Ranieri.

It's almost a good point until you look at the reverse results for earlier this season. From the final 12 games the only team to beat us was Arsenal and the only other teams we dropped points to were Man Utd and Southampton.

Win 9, draw 2 and lose 1. 

Champions.

It's the way we play that makes it so difficult for any team. Even a side struggling at the moment we will draw them in to our half like bait and then pounce. Teams can't help coming in and just when all looks good, Kante, Drinky et al, attack and then it's on. Up the pitch with the opposition at sixes and sevens.

Tough to defend when you're made to feel that you have the upper hand

Villa was possibly the worst performance, but without blaming him personally, had Mahrez put us 2 up then I'm sure Villa's heads may have dropped rather than get second wind. Being a derby also adds a bit of pressure ( or incentive ).

Bournemouth is a different matter.

1. They are relatively hard to break down anyway - only Man City have really spanked them.

2. Leicester tend to be dominant later in games. They could not envisage the way the game would end up. Missing a penalty and facing the first genuine parked bus of the season.

3. It came at the end of a week when we had already played Liverpool and Manchester City.

4. This was at a time when Vardy was waiting for his operation and not training.

Definite concern for me. You just know WBA are gonna beat us 0-1 with a set piece goal having parked the bus all game.

We did the absolute worst thing a Premier League team can do, we gave West Brom a 1-0 lead. They sat back like they always do and we still annihilated them.

The one I'm worried about is West Brom.

Norwich can't defend for shit, we'll score against them - keep a clean sheet in that game and we win. Watford will have a go at us (and may well beat us) but they aren't going to sit back at home with nothing to lose.

West Brom, on the other hand, are in stinking form, Pulis has become even more of a parody of himself this year (4 centre backs across the back four at Stoke surpassed this year by 4 across the back plus one in midfield) and will love nothing more than a 0-0 or shit-house 1-0. We've got to score in the first half of that game.

10 points from the next 5 would be a great return, if we can get 3 of them against Arsenal then all the better.

We've got a very settled first team at the moment but we played Ulloa in away wins against West Brom, Swansea and Newcastle. Interested to see whether Ranieri goes back to that if he thinks they'll defend deep.

I imagine we'll try to do what worked well at the end of last season because we're playing similar teams again (Swansea, Newcastle, West Ham, Southampton all at home). Start really quickly, try to get an early goal and force the opposition to open up a bit. Easier said than done obviously.

I'll probably be as nervous/pessimistic about these games as any game. I'll take the hit of @@ScouseFox laughing at me. It's working so far.

Archived