Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wokinghamfox

good article by the Daily Mail

I do like this hindsighted bollocks. Where was all the credit last March when we were bottom? Was Pearson leaving a good legacy then if he was sacked after Hull or Spurs away?

Pearson did a good job turning the club around. He ended years of struggle in the Championship, made us a better team at that level and took us up in style. We survived last season but plenty of it was not enjoyable and questions should be asked as to why we started playing so well so late in the season. However, Ranieri wouldn't have touched us in the Championship so Pearson taking us up and keeping us up is very important. Having the set-up in place to allow one man to leave and it not fall apart is also impressive.

But this season is about Ranieri. He's improved the players like Drinkwater, Morgan, Simpson, Vardy, even Mahrez. Albrighton has been given a proper chance. Tactically we are brilliant, especially away from home. Under Pearson we wouldn't have the away record we do. I think we'd be around 12th/13th which is not disgraceful but Ranieri has taken us forward leaps and bounds.

Pearson's work before this season shouldn't be taken away but his influence now is being overstated. It's not to get at him, you can't be successful from the position we were in without someone doing the dirty work in getting promotion, but Ranieri is the man with all the credit this season. Maybe he didn't change too much at the start but he sure has from October onwards.

Not this argument again

It's been done to death

It's not really an argument. It's just an article giving Pearson credit for building something special here. Some of our fans don't seem to think he deserves much credit!?

Obviously NP won't be on the open top bus, it's a daft idea and both the owners and especially Big Nige wouldn't in a million years entertain any such suggestion.

Claudio is in charge now and doing a fantastic job but for some of our fans the lack of respect shown for what Pearson and his staff achieved here is remarkable. I'm beginning to think they would have rather stayed in the championship than for Pearson to get us promoted.

Because it wasn't "this team" was it... it was a team without Fuchs, Huth, Kante, Okazaki and so on. We had a squad with GTF, Chris Wood, Liam Moore, Konchesky, Dean Hammond all getting game time!!! Drinkwater, Wes, Ryad, Schlupp and pretty much everyone else were learning about the premier league.

You can argue until the cows come home about whether we should have signed more, but we all know how difficult it was for us (and others) to get players in that summer.

Fact is, he and the players learnt as they went along and we stayed up, he put down the foundations for Ranieri to walk in and pick up from where he left off.

Correct 2016 champions of England have nothing to do with Nigel Peason ;)

If he was that good why hasn't he got a JOB yet????

Cos those in the know at the top of the game KNOW his many failings I guess

You cannot really compare the team this year to last year. The big change has been 32 goals from Vardy and Mahrez so far this season who only managed 9 in the whole of the last season. Moving Vardy to the centre was a key decision as was having Mahrez play regularly in a floating role. An extra 30 odd goals per season buys you a lot of points. Also not having Ritchie De Laet hopelessly turned every game saves a lot of points as well.

One big thing that Ranieri has over Pearson is the way he handles the press, Ranieri is absoutley wonderful at handling the press and you hear the press say how they adore him. Person was awful with the press, and he has no idea how to handle it, yes its true sometimes the press wound him up, but they do that to everyone, he was too arrogant with it. This in my opinion created a negative energy before every match, I remember all those months when we were 20th and before every game Pearson was having a bust up with someone in the press, it created this negative feeling always before the games. football and life is all about energy,  Ranieri has a positive energy. 

One big thing that Ranieri has over Pearson is the way he handles the press, Ranieri is absoutley wonderful at handling the press and you hear the press say how they adore him. Person was awful with the press, and he has no idea how to handle it, yes its true sometimes the press wound him up, but they do that to everyone, he was too arrogant with it. This in my opinion created a negative energy before every match, I remember all those months when we were 20th and before every game Pearson was having a bust up with someone in the press, it created this negative feeling always before the games. football and life is all about energy,  Ranieri has a positive energy. 

.....   and his tactical awareness.

Pearson's work before this season shouldn't be taken away but his influence now is being overstated. It's not to get at him, you can't be successful from the position we were in without someone doing the dirty work in getting promotion, but Ranieri is the man with all the credit this season. Maybe he didn't change too much at the start but he sure has from October onwards.

I started a thread about how the positional stance in defence really has sorted out our leaky defence and I think that's been the master class this season. On MOTD2 this weekend they rightly discussed how Leicester were not just good but they are getting better. That's the key, if the tactics didn't evolve you'd quickly be found out. Both the tactics and player performances have improved as the season has progressed and particularly noticeably in the last 2 months. This is what the other top sides should really be worried about, that this team is still improving.

We all know there is going to hit a bad patch sometime with a series of poor results but a team like Leicester today is now good enough to ride a bad set of results and still be in the mix. Which means even if the poor set of results over 3 or 4 games does happen in the run in you'd still expect this team will be right there at the end. Of course if the bad patch doesn't materialise this season it'll be an embarrassingly easy walk in the park with a 10 point lead at the end of the season. All Leicester need do is win 8 more games, draw 2 and can afford to lose 3 to win the EPL. I think the current setup is likely to deliver that which if we recall back to this time last year you'd assume we'd have to be back in the Championship under Pearson to have a hope of that.

Its not chalk and cheese but its like comparing Sheffield wine with a fine Italian.

Interesting quote from Raniera in the Telegraph

When I spoke with the players I realised that they were afraid of the Italian tactics,” he told Corriere della Sera.

“They did not look convinced , and neither was I. I have great admiration for those who build new tactical systems, but I always thought the most important thing a good coach must do is to build the team around the characteristics of his players. So I told the players that I trusted them and would speak very little of tactics.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/leicester-city/12146839/Claudio-Ranieri-reveals-the-secrets-behind-Leicester-Citys-Premier-League-success.html

The success (so far) is a tribute to the structure NP developed (as the Mail article says), but Raniera has taken it another level. It was interesting Simpson saying (Sunday lunchtime MOTD2)how Raniera changed the defensive tactics changed after he recognised we were leaking goals.

I think if NP were still in charge we would be in a position we would be happy in at start of season ie mid table - but Raniera has taken them to another level. His influence and experience will be key now we are favourites for the title.

Pearson was great for us and rightly gets the praise he deserves here. He laid some brilliant foundations. For me though, all of Pearson's strengths were in activities outside of match day. Training, motivation, getting in the right characters.

Claudio is much smarter tactically, and coupled with a maintaining of off the pitch standards, we've been brilliant.

No way would we be anyway near the top four if Pearson was still here, having said that we'd be no where near relegation either. I think we would have had a similar season to what Palace are having. Pearson just isn't as good tactically as Ranieri and it shows, its got to be a major reason why we find ourselves top of table in February.

I do agree that Pearson deserves a Premier League job however. Why Swansea or Aston Villa didn't go for Pearson I'll never know. I even think he would have been a good shout to be installed as Chelsea manager until the end of the season.

No way would we be anyway near the top four if Pearson was still here, having said that we'd be no where near relegation either. I think we would have had a similar season to what Palace are having. Pearson just isn't as good tactically as Ranieri and it shows, its got to be a major reason why we find ourselves top of table in February.

I do agree that Pearson deserves a Premier League job however. Why Swansea or Aston Villa didn't go for Pearson I'll never know. I even think he would have been a good shout to be installed as Chelsea manager until the end of the season.

He'd have been superb for Villa. Not a guarantee of staying up by any stretch but given a few years would have sorted them right out. Would have suited Lerner's frugality in the transfer market too.

I can't be arsed with some click bait article.

But Pearson got us here, Ranieri took us to the next level.

He - at the very least - sorted our weaknesses: defending and set pieces. And has been excellent at keeping us focused.

Claudio didn't "take us to the next level". He took us up something like 4 levels.

Pearson had us in a relegation battle, we survived.

The next level would be mid-table, little worry about relegation.

The level after that would be mid-table, trying to get into Europa (through league position or Cup).

The level after that would be getting a Europa League place, pushing for a Champions League place.

The level after that is where Claudio has taken us. We are challenging for the title, almost definitely going to get a Champions League place.

Some might say this is a one season thing (last season's safety could have been too, we'll never know, even if most of us believe we'd have stayed up with Pearson this season). Some might say that this season, we only switched places with Chelsea. So let's say Chelsea were still great this season - they'd have taken 3 points off us, 1 point off Spurs, and maybe 2 points off City - that doesn't change the fact we'd still be right up there.

Claudio deserves the credit. This isn't Pearson's achievement, this isn't "only because the big teams are slipping". When looking back at what Pearson did for this club, we can all be thankful, but what is done is done.

How can a man who instructed his goal keeper coach to take care of set pieces be anyway responsible for our performances and league position this year.

Is that really true? That would explain an awful lot, i always wondered how a manager who had been a top flight centre back could manage a team who were so catastrophically bad at defending (and attacking tbf) set plays. Pretty inexcusable if so.

There's no doubt Ranieri is miles ahead of Nige tactically - as someone said earlier, it would take Pearson half a season to work out how to fix a problem (hence all those long runs without a win, both in the championship the season before we got promoted and last season). Whereas Ranieri seems to be able to fix something instantly with a half time sub or subtle tactical change. And the transformation of our defensive set up from the first quarter of the season has been incredible. Pearson wouldn't have been able to do that, no way. Plus getting the best out of Vardy, and Mahrez in particular (who i'm not sure Nigel quite knew what to do with).

But on the other hand, i'd argue Pearson is one of the best managers of a club (as opposed to merely the team) on the planet - the way he transformed city from what was complete mess from top to bottom, to one of the best run clubs in the country (with everyone nicking or desperate to nick our backroom staff) was extraordinary. It's why I think he'd be amazing at Newcastle or Sunderland (or Villa) - clubs that need a complete overhaul. He'd be fantastic at any of those given time, as much as it would piss me off to see him there.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but BT had an interview with Rsnieri before the Man City game and he said this want this to be his last managerial job and he'd retire after us.

I was dismayed when he went and I fully admit that I thought the owners had made a huge error. It's quite clear now that they made a very good decision. Nige was a brilliant manager for us and did a superb job of building solid foundations and giving us our identity back. That said, it did seem as though he levelled out last season and I don't think that anyone can argue that Claudio has taken us to the next level and then some. Pearson is a terrific manager but I don't think he's a Top 6 manager, Ranieri is and the owners got it bang on.

Let's not forget either that he played a big part in his own departure. I hope he finds a job soon though, it's a travesty that he's unemployed. 

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but BT had an interview with Rsnieri before the Man City game and he said this want this to be his last managerial job and he'd retire after us.

Tbf he doesn't always tell the truth.

Archived