Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WarehamFox

Alan Smith

He was being ironic, sarcastic to how city were being portrayed generally.Many inept commentators have

used the word these 2 weeks when covering Leicesters so called baffling success.

TBF its not so much the pundits, but reporters within sportsnews rooms covering the theme.

Alan Smith to his credit is one of the few intellectual ex-players reporting within the game.

For younger fans who know little of citys history, or just cant be bothered....

Think Shinji/Albrighton, Vardy, Mahrez, our modern magical 3(4)some.

There were 3 great city players who entertained the kop regularly.....

A.Smith, G.Lineker, S.Lynex....156 goals between them in 3 seasons in the 1980s.

2 of them becoming famous English Internationals.

If I am not wrong, Alan was called the proffessor, because he had a couple of degrees or something...

Always elequent and easier on the words, often above his interviewers capabilities.

I've never understood why and how Alan Smith is employed a pundit – and this isn't a knee jerk reaction to what he's said today. 

The man has the charisma of a half eaten banana and his droning voice, which lacks all intonation, makes Bob Willis sound like an excited teenager popping pills for the first time.

Smith has never really convinced me with his knowledge either. Often questioning or moaning about tactical changes in games – only for the player involved to score the winner/equaliser almost immediately after he's slated them. 

Just find it odd that Smudge is considered a mainstay in football punditry – and even chosen for the FIFA games – when there are far better people around. Must have made a Faustian pact. Just like that other wazzock, Peter Beagrie. 

We are a sensitive bunch.The media have been jizzing themselves over us all season.Bad choice of words I think because he has been giving us praise all season.Same as Merson has and we started crying about him the other day.

This.

And I won't have a bad said against Smudger, he's a top bloke. In terms of cost and PL experience, we probably are sub standard compare to the big boys. Can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist really.

How many people are getting upset by one thing or another someone has said about us? Just enjoy where we are, it's fantastic. Concentrate on the job in hand. We don't have to listen to any of these opinions they are all pointless, all that interests me is what comes out of Leicester City.

One of the best Leicester players I ever saw. Who cares about a poor choice of words in one sentence?

Apparently we do :). It's just banter for most......enjoying our day and if you read between the lines, we're having fun with his choice of words

We shouldn't win this league, that's a fact.

Other teams are underperforming.

I'm not having this. Chelsea are underperforming, yes, but what other teams? Manchester United and Liverpool have been in decline(/transition) for a couple years now. (And Klopp is a flop.) Plus, Tottenham are "overachieving" (they're not, the signs were there they'd be great this season).

This time last year, after 25 games, Manchester City had 52 points. They currently have 47 - 5 points less. If they had beaten us twice this season, they'd be equal.

He's right and I said this after we beat Spurs away.

If we win the title then Wenger should be sacked immediately for being incompetent and an abject failure. He's been forever moaning that he hasn't won the title due to other clubs overspending but that excuse is blown out of the water if we win the league. How does Wenger explain Leicester City with a fraction of the budget Arsenal have winning the league?

Alan Smith is right. Poor choice of words but his overall point still stand.

Guest bss9401

For me Smith was the best target man/centre forward I have seen at Leicester. He was also brilliant at Arsenal. We have to remember that when he played for City, the Tigers would get better crowds than us, were easily more successful (as were the County to be fair) and he was in a team that could have won trophies had they kept players like him and Lineker. I have not seen evidence of Smith having digs at our club so do not take this seriously.

Substandard squad?? absolute nonsense, what a rude comment to make. 

Let me tell you this Smith........  we have the best defender in the prem in Morgan. we have the best midfielder in the prem in Mahrez, and we have the best striker in the prem in Vardy. FACE IT, the stats and facts don't lie, they are the best. Let me tell you Smith that those players won the league not that long ago in the championship, thats a lot more than your Arsenal can do!!, bottlers

Switched his allegiance to the Arsenal ages ago unlike Lineker, unfortunately.

Lineker is a Leicester lad and boyhood fan, Smith is a Brummie.

Smith was a great player for us, an eighties Jamie Vardy, not in terms of playing style but another non-leaguer who went on to play for England.

Top player!  Can do no wrong for me.

Switched his allegiance to the Arsenal ages ago unlike Lineker, unfortunately.

Probably helped to justify his punditry on Sky & to counteract too many ex-Liverpool players.

Anyone else noticed that since our recent success, Tony Cottee has become more an "ex Leicester" player than ex-West Ham/Everton etc so he can share his words of wisdom.........

Anyone that can't see the point he was making, is just being precious and not engaging their brain very much. To turn round and call him a 'clueless tosser' as well, just highlights my point. You also can't argue with the fact that some people view us as a rugby city. For god knows how many years now, the rugby team have far surpassed the football team and have been a well known name in the sport worldwide. Failing to accept that is just ignorance and petty, immature rivalry that really, there's no need for.

We are a sensitive bunch.The media have been jizzing themselves over us all season.Bad choice of words I think because he has been giving us praise all season.Same as Merson has and we started crying about him the other day.

Totally agree. There seems to be this stigma on here that pundits "don't give us enough credit".

Yeah we are a great team! We have got superstars - Ask any kid interested in football from London, Manchester or a little village in any of the shires who Vardy and Mahrez are and they will tell you! We are not overachieving. We are getting our just rewards because we are a hard working side with a fantastic team spirit and playing wonderful attractive football at an amazing pace going forward. If we are sub standard, I would love to see us when we are super standard!

Would it then be true to say Chelsea over achieved last season and this season is more their level?

It is because we are Leicester and our players were and still aren't in the main, household names. If we keep playing like we have we will achieve something special.

Dare i say, Leicester winning the league or even achieving top 4 status would be a revolution for English football.

Look at the crap ( feel free to add ) that has been imported for ridiculous money

Falcao

Di maria

Nicolas Otamendi 

Pedro 

Memphis Depay

Xherdan Shaqiri 

Florian Thauvin

Hopefully the rise of Leicester and their unfavorable stars, will give managers and chairmen food for thought next time they are instructed to sanction the next "megastar" move  

Did anyone find him stupidly bias today ? Like he really really wanted Arsenal to win and justified everything they got away with. Forgets that Leicester gave him a career and if it wasn't for us , he'd never would had played for Arsenal. The ref and this bellend today, didn't know who was the bigger Cnut.

Hopefully if he ever turns back up at filbert ways, he gets a "Alan Smith what a willy puller " chant at him. I honestly rather listen to Alan young then this Charisma vacuum.

Archived