Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Aiyawatt 'Top' Raksriaksorn's five years at Leicester City

Apparently this will be on East Midland's today but an interesting read/watch of the owner's five years here. How we've transformed.

BBC East Midlands Today takes a look at how the club have been transformed from big-spending Championship also-rans to Premier League table-toppers since vice-chairman Aiyawatt 'Top' Raksriaksorn's appointment on 10 February 2011.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35549356

Guest CityFan 06

Just seen the video. Didn't know it is going to be on East Midlands Today though, so thanks for sharing that. As I mentioned in the 'do you mean us' thread they've invested so much in this club, both in terms of money and faith to get us to the top flight.

I thought the owners came in, in late summer 2010?

Hence the reason Paulo Sousa was appointed because they wanted a "name"

It was 2010 but I don't recall anything being said before the season started. I'm sure it was October/November time when news started to seep through and their arrival was announced.

Yeah I think Milan was ushering them around the club. Didn't Pearson say they attended the play off semi final defeat against Cardiff?

That's when they bought the club, Mandaric remained as chairman for a little while (I think).

Won't be a popular opinion, but I still think they've been extremely lucky.

Vichai purchased English football club Leicester City in August 2010 following a three-year shirt sponsorship deal.[4]

On 10 February 2011, he was named chairman of Leicester City while continuing as owner. His son, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, is vice-chairman.[5]

I just like how they handle themselves, and quietly go around doing their business.

No silly statements, no brash hey look at us moments.No interest , like their statement a few seasons ago,

in interfering with the base or tradition of the club.

Forgetting the fact the team has turned the table on its head, the owners have turned the club around.

If we were chasing a top 10 position instead, their work would still be considered successfull.

I have been confused about Vichai and Aiyawatt's surname for the last couple of days.  I just learned it was changed to Srivaddhanaprabha by the King of Thailand!

From Wilipedia:  "In February 2013 the family name Srivaddhanaprabha was bestowed on Vichai and his family by the King of Thailand. "It is our family’s greatest honour to receive this royally granted surname", Vichai said. "The name 'Srivaddhanaprabha' conveys positive attributes to the industry and brings prosperity to our family. We have now officially changed our surname since it was published in the Royal Gazette in late 2012", Vichai said after formally announcing the change."

That is quite cool.

That's when they bought the club, Mandaric remained as chairman for a little while (I think).

How? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just be interested to hear your full thoughts on that.

How? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just be interested to hear your full thoughts on that.

I think basically they're lucky that they took over a club that Nigel Pearson had recently managed at, with a number of players and staff members who had worked under him.

They took over, things clearly weren't working out so they appointed Sven, there appeared to be no real plan other than to throw money at the team in the hopes that it would take us to the Premier League. The entire initial approach to getting us out of the Championship was flawed, and there were clear errors of judgement in terms of building a relationship with the fans (trying to get rid of Alan Birchenall for example). They've obviously learned with regards to the relationship with the fans very quickly, but I think they've been lucky in terms of the direction of the football club. Nigel Pearson is clearly an appointment that was made on the back of what he'd previously done at the club - if they'd come into a club that he didn't have that history with, then I don't see anything to suggest that the same fantastic focus on player recruitment and fitness would have taken place - they were lucky in that respect. According to Nigel Pearson's agent they were trying to convince Harry Redknapp to take the job in 2012 and I think we all know how that would have gone (No doubt a move back in the direction we were going when we appointed Sven, nowhere) - they were lucky he didn't quit on the spot then, they were lucky that he didn't say screw you after they sacked and reinstated him last season or we'd most likely be a Championship club again right now. They've invested a lot, but lots of owners have, Fawaz has, it doesn't necessarily make you a good owner. There are positives of course, they've done a lot right in the last year or so particularly, but I don't think they're a great deal better than most other owners.

[Prepares for hatred]

I don't agree, they made mistakes early on but learnt from them, stuck with Pearson twice when they could've sacked him (2013 and last February/ March) and allowed the set-up to be in place where one man leaving doesn't bring the house down. They've backed their managers financially and we've heard nothing about interference in team selections. They are very visible too, not just running the club from afar with no direct input.

Whether you agree about ticket prices or club branding or whatever is another matter, as football owners I've been impressed with them.

I think basically they're lucky that they took over a club that Nigel Pearson had recently managed at, with a number of players and staff members who had worked under him.

They took over, things clearly weren't working out so they appointed Sven, there appeared to be no real plan other than to throw money at the team in the hopes that it would take us to the Premier League. The entire initial approach to getting us out of the Championship was flawed, and there were clear errors of judgement in terms of building a relationship with the fans (trying to get rid of Alan Birchenall for example). They've obviously learned with regards to the relationship with the fans very quickly, but I think they've been lucky in terms of the direction of the football club. Nigel Pearson is clearly an appointment that was made on the back of what he'd previously done at the club - if they'd come into a club that he didn't have that history with, then I don't see anything to suggest that the same fantastic focus on player recruitment and fitness would have taken place - they were lucky in that respect. According to Nigel Pearson's agent they were trying to convince Harry Redknapp to take the job in 2012 and I think we all know how that would have gone (No doubt a move back in the direction we were going when we appointed Sven, nowhere) - they were lucky he didn't quit on the spot then, they were lucky that he didn't say screw you after they sacked and reinstated him last season or we'd most likely be a Championship club again right now. They've invested a lot, but lots of owners have, Fawaz has, it doesn't necessarily make you a good owner. There are positives of course, they've done a lot right in the last year or so particularly, but I don't think they're a great deal better than most other owners.

[Prepares for hatred]

I can see where you're coming from and I applaud you for having the balls to say that on this thread but I think they have been one of the best sets of owners in the country easily. Far better then you give them credit for. The criteria owners should be judged on are investment, interference, managerial appointments and above all else success. That's the investment box ticked with no need to discuss it, the interference box is ticked because they don't to my knowledge interfere with team affairs or attempt to change the colour of the shirt etc. Managerial appointments are fairly balanced, Sousa was an appointment influenced by the Thais and was horrific, Sven was a poor appointment and the approach was very gung ho and risky a la QPR. Bringing Pearson back was a masterstroke and getting rid of him was at the time a misguided decision but it was rectified by another masterstroke appointment of Claudio Ranieri. So two poor appointments followed by two good ones tells me that they have learnt from their mistakes so I think the managerial appointments box deserves to be ticked as does the success box. Four years is what it took them to gain promotion and now we are flourishing in the Premier League. They tick all the boxes and have earned the right to be considered amongst the best owners in world football in my opinion.

I can see where you're coming from and I applaud you for having the balls to say that on this thread but I think they have been one of the best sets of owners in the country easily. Far better then you give them credit for. The criteria owners should be judged on are investment, interference, managerial appointments and above all else success. That's the investment box ticked with no need to discuss it, the interference box is ticked because they don't to my knowledge interfere with team affairs or attempt to change the colour of the shirt etc. Managerial appointments are fairly balanced, Sousa was an appointment influenced by the Thais and was horrific, Sven was a poor appointment and the approach was very gung ho and risky a la QPR. Bringing Pearson back was a masterstroke and getting rid of him was at the time a misguided decision but it was rectified by another masterstroke appointment of Claudio Ranieri. So two poor appointments followed by two good ones tells me that they have learnt from their mistakes so I think the managerial appointments box deserves to be ticked as does the success box. Four years is what it took them to gain promotion and now we are flourishing in the Premier League. They tick all the boxes and have earned the right to be considered amongst the best owners in world football in my opinion.

I agree, I think their early mistakes were made firstly as an attempt to make an immediate mark on the club, and to a certain extent try to generate almost immediate success. In their naivety, they appointed so-called 'big name' managers and pumped money into the squad. As we know, neither of which worked. 

I think they then probably listened to the people around them, and set up for more of a long-term approach. They've invested hugely in the club off the field, converting all of our debt into equity (thus stabilizing us financially for the time being), not to mention investments in training and youth facilities, as well as at the KP.

The vast majority of the owners in the Premier League would've sacked Pearson last season, given the position we were in; and none of us really know what really happened with the whole "sacked; reinstated" episode, bar some media conjecture.

I like how they've honoured our traditions, kept out of the spotlight and conducted themselves very well given certain 'off the field' incidents. And the gestures for us fans, as well as away fans - free beers, flags, price freezes etc. can be easily taken for granted.

Put it this way, it could easily have been an absolute s**tshow... Look at what happened with Tan and Cellino.

Apparently this will be on East Midland's today but an interesting read/watch of the owner's five years here. How we've transformed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35549356

Sorry mate, I merged 2 topics containing the same theme but I cocked it up. It should have been your thread.

If you can remember the original title I'll put it in for you.

Sorry mate, I merged 2 topics containing the same theme but I cocked it up. It should have been your thread.

If you can remember the original title I'll put it in for you.

Ffs Webbo stealing my glory!!

Nah only joking, title was the same as the title in the BBC article I linked.

Archived