Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fridgechef

International Champions Cup

What tripe. 'Leicester have made it into the big time' says The Sun. The 'big time' is being top of the Premier League after 30 games, not receiving an invitation to a meaningless pre-season tournament. This is just a face-saving PR move from a desperate American billionaire who is second only to Adam Johnson in the '2016 negative media coverage' rankings.

Turning down the offer would be a huge kick in the teeth for the yank.

It's far from glamorous, but part of the reason we did so well at the start of the season was the lack of travel for the majority of our squad.

Bring on the Burtons and the Mansfields of the world for our preseason, I say.

Come on guys this might never happen again we should take advantage of the situation !!! go to the USA and milk it....

We dont need to spend 6 weeks there like others have,  just a couple of weeks, then back to the normal grinding out pre seasons in Mansfield!

An interesting call for the board

Several of the big five will have new management and quite a few new players to bed in.

There is a summer tournement which usually means the big players are shattered and slow starters.

Could be an opportunity for our standard pre season and typical fast start to bear fruit - perhaps next year could be as exciting as this one at the top for us??

Going to the states for this competition would be great for our profile but could ruin the start of our season.

Only me who thinks this is an attempt to allow the Barcas and Madrids to spot our weaknesses in the flesh and get to know our playing style before the champions league?

Yes.

The headline of the article is a joke, as is the meaningless 'competition', in my opinion.

Would personally prefer that we just stick to putting our own pre-season schedule together, to ensure optimum preparation for the players, than trapse across to the US to be involved in this circus.

The new TV deal, plus (hopefully) being in Europe next season, plus prize money for wherever we finish this season, increased demand for club merch etc will mean we hardly need to pursue every single opportunity to make more money. That said, I'm a realist and this is modern football. Fully expect us to take up the invitation, assuming it has actually been offered (the article is from The Sun...), and look to gain more exposure in the potentially lucrative US market.

The headline of the article is a joke, as is the meaningless 'competition', in my opinion.

Would personally prefer that we just stick to putting our own pre-season schedule together, to ensure optimum preparation for the players, than trapse across to the US to be involved in this circus.

The new TV deal, plus (hopefully) being in Europe next season, plus prize money for wherever we finish this season, increased demand for club merch etc will mean we hardly need to pursue every single opportunity to make more money. That said, I'm a realist and this is modern football. Fully expect us to take up the invitation, assuming it has actually been offered (the article is from The Sun...), and look to gain more exposure in the potentially lucrative US market.

Exactly this.  It's just a pre season tournament created by someone with money for 'big clubs' with international fan bases to increase revenue and market space.

Winning the league and getting into the CL as champions is making it into the big time.  It seems like a PR damage limitation and a chance to put us in our place.  

On a side note wasn't it reported that the other teams were going to pull the 'big five' up at the next PL meeting?

Hope we tell them to sack off, isn't this ran by the same guy that said we're not marketable compared to the creators of football,  Man United. I don't disagree that Man U are bigger and more supported team, so Invite your traditional big clubs though if that's the way you want it.

Can't get over just how laughable this 'invitation' is. It's like the least popular boy in the school asking out the most popular girl. I'm sure our owners will have a variety of options for lucrative pre-season tours, and can send a suitably diplomatic reply to the Americans - something like 'Sorry - I've made other plans'. 

This is a GOOD thing.

Our current success really could raise the status of the club beyond all previous levels.

The Premiership now has global appeal, and so big local fanbases are becoming less important to how ‘big’ a club is. This season could see us picking up literally millions of new supporters world-wide.

It could be in the future we’re looked on as a ‘big club’ such as Everton, Newcastle or Villa, rather than our traditional peer group (Stoke, Southampton and West Brom etc).

Archived