Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fridgechef

International Champions Cup

if we win it we could easily get a CL group of teams full of grounds I've already been too lol, pretty much every team I've seen in Europe is set to qualify and will be pot 2, 3 or 4. (it's quite random because you've got the likes of Hertha Berlin and Sporting in there)  pretty sure there will be at least one.

Some people's definition of 'success' clearly differs very differently from mine.

C'mon Dan, don't be a misery guts.

We have possibly a once in a lifetime chance to be invited to a pre season tournament like this with only the very best are invited. As long as we treat it like a pre season fitness exercise rather than a competitive tournament we'll be fine. It might be a good exercise for our CL campaign to play Barcelona & PSG to gauge that they aren't a team of supermen and we can compete with them.

A flight to LA and back won't ruin our season or effect our pre season, if we have ambitions to compete long term at the top of the PL this is the baggage that comes with it.

C'mon Dan, don't be a misery guts.

We have possibly a once in a lifetime chance to be invited to a pre season tournament like this with only the very best are invited. As long as we treat it like a pre season fitness exercise rather than a competitive tournament we'll be fine. It might be a good exercise for our CL campaign to play Barcelona & PSG to gauge that they aren't a team of supermen and we can compete with them.

A flight to LA and back won't ruin our season or effect our pre season, if we have ambitions to compete long term at the top of the PL this is the baggage that comes with it.

I'm not doubting that this is going to be an interesting experience, nor am I 'scared' of success, I just don't define 'success' as playing in a glorified pre-season tournament.

Was playing Real Madrid a barometer of 'success'? Or Barcelona in 2002? Or Inter Milan?

I don't even reject the idea of us playing in it (although it would have been nice to see us stick two up at Mr 'Man Utd franchise created soccer' Stillitano) but I don't get this mentality that this is a definition of success. Success is what we've done in the league this season. Well, will be if we see it through.

yeah especially when group c persists of;

Leicester city

Galatasary

M Tel-aviv

Astana

We can dream!

There's a good lot of people that will be hard at the mere suggestion of that group to be fair.

I just don't see the excitement in a Leicester XI playing a PSG/Barca XI. If we were in the Championship and never looking like getting to that stage again then it'd be a nice to have these prestigious friendlies, but it's not really that exciting for me. PSG XI, Burton, Quorn. It's going to be a stroll around.

I will say this though, it is nice for the fans in other countries to get a chance to see us, even if it is missing a few regulars.

The travelling shouldn't be an issue at all. Wes probably covered about a million miles in the summer, came back 2 weeks later and became the best CB in the league.

I'm not doubting that this is going to be an interesting experience, nor am I 'scared' of success, I just don't define 'success' as playing in a glorified pre-season tournament.

Was playing Real Madrid a barometer of 'success'? Or Barcelona in 2002? Or Inter Milan?

I don't even reject the idea of us playing in it (although it would have been nice to see us stick two up at Mr 'Man Utd franchise created soccer' Stillitano) but I don't get this mentality that this is a definition of success. Success is what we've done in the league this season. Well, will be if we see it through.

You've used the keyword there... "Franchise"... Money and branding, that's what this is about. I saw today that the Manchester Derby will be played in China during pre-season, wtf, a game as fierce as that and it's being played out there for one reason. Such a shame that football has become like this. 

Completely agree. 

You've used the keyword there... "Franchise"... Money and branding, that's what this is about. I saw today that the Manchester Derby will be played in China during pre-season, wtf, a game as fierce as that and it's being played out there for one reason. Such a shame that football has become like this. 

Fierce? You must have missed the game at the weekend. 

The difference there, of course, is that they are pre-season friendlies that WE set up, that WE negotiated and we held those friendlies.

But with this tournament, we have been invited. Out of all the teams in the premier league, they chose us!

The difference there, of course, is that they are pre-season friendlies that WE set up, that WE negotiated and we held those friendlies.

But with this tournament, we have been invited. Out of all the teams in the premier league, they chose us!

Didn't we have to pay Real like a million quid for the pleasure as well lol

Not going on a supporters bus?

Er, our supporters buses aren't quite the same craic as you'd get with those run by Rangers or Celtic supporters clubs to friendlies down here. Ours play bingo instead of getting so tanked they don't remember being in a different country.

Invited by a bloke who the other week basically said we were of no worth at all to world football. Aren't we privileged!

A man has had to swallow his pride in inviting us to this tournament. He's not done it for a laugh, he's done it because we're a catch and he's realised that and I thought it was fairly obvious that I meant the clubs.

Honestly it's like some people want us to be successful without getting anything that comes with success.

:frusty:

I don't think anybody is against the idea of playing great, massive clubs like Barcelona - at any rate, speaking for myself, I'm not against that. The difference here is that some people seem to believe the only way of playing some good quality sides is via the ICC. An organisation that is blatantly and publicly opposite the spirit that has embodied LCFC over the last 2 seasons.

And for those of us who think joining the ICC is the only way to get big name friendlies, its fair to remind everyone that we did play Real Madrid in 2011 when our pulling power 1/10th of what it is today.

I'm not saying we 100% definitely shouldn't be in the ICC, but there's a lot of reasons to be cautious about it, and they're just as important as money or marketing.

We shouldn't be so easily flattered by this invitation. 

They didn't choose us because they like us. They chose us because they saw dollar signs.

They didn't choose us because they like us. They chose us because they saw dollar signs.

Oh boo hoo. They don't like us.

This tournament will only serve to improve our balance sheet, improve our reputation in America and give us a bit of an insight into how these clubs work. How awful.

It doesn't have to benefit you personally to benefit the club.

Er, our supporters buses aren't quite the same craic as you'd get with those run by Rangers or Celtic supporters clubs to friendlies down here. Ours play bingo instead of getting so tanked they don't remember being in a different country.

Invited by a bloke who the other week basically said we were of no worth at all to world football. Aren't we privileged!

Well that's a different discussion altogether, this one is about whether we can consider it a success to be invited and be in such elite company... 

No one was talking about flattery.... see above post..

Archived