Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jordan

AFL 2016 & 2017

Watched a few games when I was in Melbourne last year. It's incredibly fast paced and entertaining and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it! Apparently Richmond is my team!

It's got to be great to watch live. I'm enjoying it on TV, but TV doesn't seem like it shows you the full scope of what's going on. For instance, the camera will show a player kicking the ball, but you don't know there whys and wherefores of the play until the camera pans. Sometimes, the kick will go to, say, a player inside the 50 that's wide open, but TV doesn't show how that player got into such a good position.

I watched the Richmond-Carlton season opener. Decent game and Richmond took care of business in the end, but I was surprised how Carlton gave it every bit as good as they got for much of the game considering they were expected to be clear underdogs.

It's got to be great to watch live. I'm enjoying it on TV, but TV doesn't seem like it shows you the full scope of what's going on. For instance, the camera will show a player kicking the ball, but you don't know there whys and wherefores of the play until the camera pans. Sometimes, the kick will go to, say, a player inside the 50 that's wide open, but TV doesn't show how that player got into such a good position.

I watched the Richmond-Carlton season opener. Decent game and Richmond took care of business in the end, but I was surprised how Carlton gave it every bit as good as they got for much of the game considering they were expected to be clear underdogs.

Great atmosphere as you'd expect, think you've drilled into it more than I did and id like to learn more about the rules/plays etc.

I love some of the little quirks though, like the refs taking the throw ins! Imagine that in Football here lol

What do we have here!

Was a great first round, didn't get to a game but going to see the mighty sainters tomorrow.

Hope plenty of you get watching some games it's all people on Melbourne ever care about and don't know any of my mates from overseas who have been to a game not fall in love with it.

Turned on the Collingwood-Richmond game with 30 seconds left.... Pies win it with 6 seconds left. Awesome finish. This season has been pretty good so far, I'm definitely getting into it--I've even got a fantasy team and everything.

Port Power is who you want to support.

Real team, real history.

Speaking of Magpies...

Turned on the Collingwood-Richmond game with 30 seconds left.... Pies win it with 6 seconds left. Awesome finish. This season has been pretty good so far, I'm definitely getting into it--I've even got a fantasy team and everything.

Speaking of Magpies...

Pah!...  Real Magpies are now called Power :)

love Aussie rules

Quite a few Irish lads have made serious Names at the sport

And we have an international hybrid series between Aussie rules and Gaelic football

Jim Stynes is a hero of mine and the Demons are my team since a young boy

Great to see a thread for Aussie rules !

That video's one of the most confusing things I've ever seen.

Why is it that sometimes the ball gets kicked to a guy inside the 50 yard line (I presume you have to be at least that close before you can shoot?) who then stops playing whereas other times he carries on and kicks the ball in?

Why did the commentator call one of the shots an "open goal" when as far as I can make out the goal's always open?

Why did one fellow bounce the ball like a basketball while he ran but nobody else seemed to bother?  Was he showboating or is there some kind of dribbling rule?

So I watched the first 22 minutes or so of the Showdown... And the Crows can quote the Ol' Dirty Bastard to Port Power: "A lot of MCs came to my showdown / And watched me put your ****in' ass looowwww down!"

Why is it that sometimes the ball gets kicked to a guy inside the 50 yard line (I presume you have to be at least that close before you can shoot?) who then stops playing whereas other times he carries on and kicks the ball in?

Why did the commentator call one of the shots an "open goal" when as far as I can make out the goal's always open?

Why did one fellow bounce the ball like a basketball while he ran but nobody else seemed to bother? Was he showboating or is there some kind of dribbling rule?

Webbo's pretty much got it. I'm sure FoxesTalk's resident Australians can explain better, but for most of what you're saying, there are rules that cause those actions. If you catch the ball on the fly from a kick of 15m or more, it's a "mark" and you can stop play. And you either have to kick, handball, or bounce the ball before you run 15m otherwise it's "running too far" and the other team gets a free kick. However, the thought of the running bounce being an example of showboating is awesome and IMO much better than the actual rules governing play.

Learning some more of the rules has helped make a lot more sense of watching the game, but there's so much action in the sport that it's weirdly entertaining even when things don't make sense to me. A friend of mine was watching Sydney vs Collingwood last weekend, and between the foreign rules and the refs/medical staff running all over the pitch, he said, "Now I know how it feels when people that don't like sports watch sports." lol

I'm glad I "adopted" the Western Bulldogs as my team this year, they kicked ass again today (when I decided, "Hey, I'm gonna watch AFL this season," and wanted to learn more, I watched "Year of the Dogs" on YouTube and couldn't help but feel I should take a liking to the Doggies). Apparently they're a ne'er-do-well club with something of a working-class fanbase that's having their moment in the sun thanks to a group of exciting youngsters complimented by a few solid vets. I still barely know anything about AFL tactics but the Bulldogs' style of play is very easy on the eye. They really press forward and try to keep the game behind the opponent's 50-yard line, and they have a few defenders that like to get forward. It's really exciting and I see a few people in the media over there have gone as far as to say they play "sexy football!"

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the end of WB vs Hawthorne last week, and although it was a heartbreaker for the Dogs, that game was every bit as exciting as it was made out to be. Hawthorne simply know how to win. They just have that confidence and swagger that comes with being champions.

The Doggies are beating the piss out of Carlton as I type, though. Injuries are starting to pile up at the "kennel" but still, they are a seriously legit team.

Adelaide vs Sydney Swans is on TV over here but I'm a little too busy to be watching it. I might not know a whole lot about the sport but I do know that Buddy Franklin is a beast. Defending him must be a nightmare.

Why is it that sometimes the ball gets kicked to a guy inside the 50 yard line (I presume you have to be at least that close before you can shoot?) who then stops playing whereas other times he carries on and kicks the ball in? You can shoot from where ever but it's hard to kick outside of 50m some blokes struggle to make the journey. If you mark the ball you can stop and have a free kick so to speak if you are close to goals you will have a shot.

Why did the commentator call one of the shots an "open goal" when as far as I can make out the goal's always open? The goals with no defenders between them and the goals is an open goal.

Why did one fellow bounce the ball like a basketball while he ran but nobody else seemed to bother?  Was he showboating or is there some kind of dribbling rule? Can't run more than 15m with out bouncing the ball or tapping it on the ground

Some of the games that have been on TV here been amazing. Hawthorn vs Adelaide was superb. And I didn't watch the ANZAC Day game, but whaddya know--Mason Cox, an American, scored a goal on his AFL debut with for the Pies!

I've got a question for @@SOCCERROO FOX: Why does it seem like the "disposals" stat is treated like a really big deal? When I watch or read about AFL, it seems like a players' "disposals" number is everywhere. Is it because the amount of kicks/handballs a player makes is a way to get some idea of how often a player possesses the ball?

Edit to add that I just found out Fox Sports here is showing Roos vs Doggies live online and via the Fox Sports Go app at 5:30 am on Friday and tape delayed on TV at 10:30 am. I can either watch while getting ready for/traveling to work, or I can DVR it and watch it later. Nice.

Some of the games that have been on TV here been amazing. Hawthorn vs Adelaide was superb. And I didn't watch the ANZAC Day game, but whaddya know--Mason Cox, an American, scored a goal on his AFL debut with for the Pies!

I've got a question for @@SOCCERROO FOX: Why does it seem like the "disposals" stat is treated like a really big deal? When I watch or read about AFL, it seems like a players' "disposals" number is everywhere. Is it because the amount of kicks/handballs a player makes is a way to get some idea of how often a player possesses the ball?

Edit to add that I just found out Fox Sports here is showing Roos vs Doggies live online and via the Fox Sports Go app at 5:30 am on Friday and tape delayed on TV at 10:30 am. I can either watch while getting ready for/traveling to work, or I can DVR it and watch it later. Nice.

Disposal stat is important as you need players who can win an get the ball. But it's what you do with those disposals that is more important. No point getting 30 disposals and turning it over or just getting pointless kicks bakwards. We generally refere to disposals as possies (possesions)

Jeez. Didn't really get to watch but it (probably a good thing) seemed like the Dogs got dizzy or something whenever they crossed into North's side of the pitch. Kind of a bump back down to earth for the Dogs.

Adelaide vs Freo and Richmond vs Port Power are the live games on TV. I might watch a bit of the second game because I'll be up early tomorrow.

Archived