Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Halfsy

All-time Leicester City XI

wow tough call this but in my life time i would prob go with 

------------------------------------------kasper----------------------------------------

----------------elliott------------------morgan-------------walsh--------------------

----mahrez-----------------kante---------------izzet---------------guppy-------

----------------------------------------macallister-----------------------------------

--------------------------vardy-----------------------claridge-----------------------

I cannot comment on players prior to the MON era as I've only seen sparse highlights.

Basically just the best from the MON era and the NP/Ranieri one with a couple of outliers.

Flowers

Schmeichel

Walker

Elliott

Walsh

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs

Kaamark

Taggart

Izzet

Lennon

Kanté

Cambiasso

Albrighton

Drinkwater

Mahrez

King

Parker

Guppy

Vardy

Heskey

Dickov

Ferdinand

Cottee

Messed that up didn't I !!! :blush:

some half decent players on there - for comical value if nothing else.  A lot worse than that have played for Leicester.

In a time when we were the pits, I loved me some Delbert

What about Pressman - he couldn't out jump an elephant

Very harsh on Colin Gibson

Based on a mix of who I've seen live, all the highlights I can find on video and on the internet along with a bit of popular opinion from the older lot, I'd got with something like:

----------------------------------------------------------Banks----------------------------------------------

--------------------------Elliott--------------------------Walsh-------------------Cross-------------------

----------------------------------------Kante-------------------------Gibson-------------------------------

------------Weller-----------------------------------Izzet-----------------------------------Mahrez--------

--------------------------------------Lineker---------------------Vardy-------------------------------------

It's pointless picking just the players you've seen live when you know Banks is better than Schmeichel.

I don't think any of our best teams from the past 60 years of my memory would beat the team of today but individually they'd have had some strong competition in places.

Goalkeepers:

Banks/Shilton.

Back Four:

From: Kaamark, Simpson, Morgan, Huth, Sjoberg, Fuchs, Richie Norman;

Midfield:

From l: Mahrez, Kante, Gibson, McLintock, Glover, Drinkwater, Hogg, Guppy, Cambiasso.    

Strikers:

From: Vardy, Dougan, Chandler, Worthington, Lineker, Heskey. 

Notional bench extras:

Whitworth, Cross, Ian King, Elliott, Walsh,  Rodriques, 

Riley, Izzet, Lennon, Andy King, Weller, Stringfellow,

Rowley, Lochhead, Cottee, Ferdinand, Ulloa, Hines. 

MON era onwards......

4-4-2

Schmeichel

Kaamark

Elliott

Huth

Berner / Fuchs - should be Fuchs I guess

Mahrez

Kanté

Izzet

Knocky / Guppy - would go for Knocky

Heskey

Vardy

Subs: Walker, Morgan, Drinkwater, Lennon, Nugent

3-5-2

Schmeichel

Morgan

Huth 

Elliott

Mahrez

Kanté

Lennon 

Izzet

Schlupp

Vardy

Heskey

Subs: Walker, Kaamark, Guppy, Drinkwater, Nugent

Shilton

Whitworth

Walsh

Cross

Fuchs

Weller

Lennon

Izzet

Guppy

Rowley

Lineker

Subs:

Banks

Nish

Elliot

Drinkwater

Sammels

Vardy

Chandler

I've avoided picking players who only played one season for us, as I don't regard them as true Leicester legends. Sorry Cambiasso and Kante.

No Mahrez! !? Seriously . Not even on the bench . The only Leicester player to ever win the player of the season . Smh

Shilton

Whitworth

Walsh

Cross

Fuchs

Weller

Lennon

Izzet

Guppy

Rowley

Lineker

Subs:

Banks

Nish

Elliot

Drinkwater

Sammels

Vardy

Chandler

I've avoided picking players who only played one season for us, as I don't regard them as true Leicester legends. Sorry Cambiasso and Kante.

Are you assuming Kante definitely won't be here next season as you've picked Fuchs who has technically only played one season

Rab Douglas

John Pantsil

Colin Fitzpatrick

Michael Trotter

Tony Spearing

Ricky Hill

Dennis Wise

Junior Lewis

Bobby Davidson

Barry Hayles

Elvis Hammond

Peter Taylor manager?

Would have thought Alan Clarke (he and Banks were the reason we weren't relegated earlier than we were) and Gary Lineker (golden boot at a world cup) could have found a place in the best 11

Best XI that i have seen play:

GK Schmeichel

LB Fuchs

CB Elliot

CB Walsh ©

RB Kaamark

LM Guppy

CM Izzet

CM Kante

RM Mahrez

FW Vardy

FW Heskey

SUBS - Flowers, Morgan, Grayson, Cambiasso, Lennon, Claridge, Dickov

That Vardy/Heskey partnership would have been incredible!

Based on a mix of who I've seen live, all the highlights I can find on video and on the internet along with a bit of popular opinion from the older lot, I'd got with something like:

----------------------------------------------------------Banks----------------------------------------------

--------------------------Elliott--------------------------Walsh-------------------Cross-------------------

----------------------------------------Kante-------------------------Gibson-------------------------------

------------Weller-----------------------------------Izzet-----------------------------------Mahrez--------

--------------------------------------Lineker---------------------Vardy-------------------------------------

It's pointless picking just the players you've seen live when you know Banks is better than Schmeichel.

In the same vein, you could say it's pointless picking Walsh just because he was popular. Morgan is a superior player.

No Mahrez! !? Seriously . Not even on the bench . The only Leicester player to ever win the player of the season . Smh

Thought about Mahrez a lot, and yes an often brilliant, match winning player for us. It was between him and Sammels who I watched a lot in the '70's and I thought his consistency won the day. He always seemed to play well for us, whereas Mahrez does drift in and out of games, and often goes missing in complete matches. I did love those Bloomfield years, we played some blinding football with some really talented players. Shame they only won The Charity Shield in those wonderful years.

It's all personal choice anyway. I didn't see Rowley play, but I met him (a lovely bloke) and his record is out of this world for us, as is Chandlers. I liked Mark Wallington and Mike Stringfellow, who no-one has mentioned, but both could also have had a claim. Steve Whitworth was an excellent right back and would have won more caps for England had he played for Man Ure, spuds or Liverpool.

Are you assuming Kante definitely won't be here next season as you've picked Fuchs who has technically only played one season

I cocked up there because I forgot Fuchs only joined at the beginning of this season! Must be my age! :blush: 

I would have picked Nish as left back, who was brilliant (I even named one of my sons after him), but I honestly think Fuchs is the best left back I've ever seen play for City. As for Kante, I really hope he is here next season and if we ran this again (we seem to run a thread like this every six weeks!!) he would be in my team because he is awesome. I think Fuchs will be here next season, but I would not have picked him for this team if my brain had been working! My excuse is I wrote it at 3am!

I have been a fan since the 97/98 season, so I am only going from my lifetime.

Goalkeepers: Kasper Schmeichel, Tim Flowers, Kasey Keller.

Defenders: Matt Elliott, Steve Walsh, Robert Huth, Wes Morgan, Danny Simpson, Christian Fuchs, Pontus Kaamark, Frank Sinclair.

Midfielders: Riyad Mahrez, Muzzy Izzet, N'Golo Kante, Esteban Cambiasso, Neil Lennon, Danny Drinkwater, Steve Guppy, Mark Albrighton.

Attackers: Jamie Vardy, Emile Heskey, Tony Cottee, Paul Dickov.

Peter Taylor manager?

Would have thought Alan Clarke (he and Banks were the reason we weren't relegated earlier than we were) and Gary Lineker (golden boot at a world cup) could have found a place in the best 11

Alan Clarke?

He was only with us for one season - the season we got relegated

Alan Clarke?

He was only with us for one season - the season we got relegated

I stand corrected,  I thought he was with us and top scored for a season when we really struggled...but stayed up, distant memories are fading now, I'm getting too old, I give up all hope of surviving this terminal disease called life...

Is my memory of him scoring a hat trick on his debut wrong also, I can recall him standing watching all the others run around but being there in the penalty area when it mattered....

Thought about Mahrez a lot, and yes an often brilliant, match winning player for us. It was between him and Sammels who I watched a lot in the '70's and I thought his consistency won the day. He always seemed to play well for us, whereas Mahrez does drift in and out of games, and often goes missing in complete matches. I did love those Bloomfield years, we played some blinding football with some really talented players. Shame they only won The Charity Shield in those wonderful years.

It's all personal choice anyway. I didn't see Rowley play, but I met him (a lovely bloke) and his record is out of this world for us, as is Chandlers. I liked Mark Wallington and Mike Stringfellow, who no-one has mentioned, but both could also have had a claim. Steve Whitworth was an excellent right back and would have won more caps for England had he played for Man Ure, spuds or Liverpool.

i think that this is a personal choice . and i see that these guys are your childhood heroes . be it is kind of strange that after the season he did and being the only fox to win the poty for the club so  i thought that he will atleast  make the bench for everyone :unsure:

An ambitious 3-4-3 of personal faves

Wallington (On his day was phenomenal)

Kaamark

Elliott or Wes Morgan (Can't decide)

Osman

Mahrez

Gary Mac

Kante

Laurie Cunningham (yes Guppy, Albrighton and others have been much more productive for us but I just loved watching him play)

Lineker

Walshy (unbeatable in air at either end, imagine the flick ons to the pace of Vardy and Lineker)

Vardy

Subs - Cambiasso, Lennon, Morgan or Elliott, Mancini, Heskey, A.Smith, Izzett

Archived