Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
catfordfox

Claudio's best tactical change/substitution

Normally enjoy Jonathon Wilson's articles but think this one does Claudio down slightly http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/28/claudio-ranieri-tinkerer-tactical-master-leicester-city-chelsea

The article is more nuanced than the headline, not quite saying he 'does nothing', but i do reckon it underplays some of the amazing in-game decisions ranieri's made this season, both subs and tactical shifts. Plus stuff like dropping mahrez after the arsenal game earlier in the season when he started showboating, or the subtle shift in tactics over the new year when vardy was injured and mahrez off form.

Anyway, just wondered what people thought was his best in game change this season? I'll go for the double half time sub v Watford, bringing on king and Jeff for shinji and albrigton. That was a v brave move and completely opened up the game for mahrez, who duly scored. I'd also say bringing a newly motivated mahrez on at half time vs southampton away when we were two down. That turned the game upside down.

Villa at home.  1-0 down at half time, he takes a striker (Okazaki) off and replaces him with a winger (Dyer) which enabled Mahrez to come more into the middle.

We went on to win the game and I firmly beleive, looking back, if Villa had won that game then both clubs would have had very different seasons.

That tactical switch was on another level to anything I had seen a Leicester manager do in the past.  Very clever.

Villa at home. 1-0 down at half time, he takes a striker (Okazaki) off and replaces him with a winger (Dyer) which enabled Mahrez to come more into the middle.

We went on to win the game and I firmly beleive, looking back, if Villa had won that game then both clubs would have had very different seasons.

That tactical switch was on another level to anything I had seen a Leicester manager do in the past. Very clever.

Yeah great shout. Making me realise how many of his decisions have been aimed at getting the best out of mahrez. Clearly realised very early on the level of talent he was dealing with and so set out to ensure he got the most out of him every week (something pearson could never get his head around)

Norwich at home. The pressure was really on at nil nil and we weren't looking like scoring until Ranieri switched things towards the end; to a 4-2-3-1 if I remember correctly. Only then did we start getting behind the Norwich defence and I doubt we'd have scored without Claudio's changes. I think that late goal was massive, psychologically. Among our most important of the season.

Norwich at home. The pressure was really on at nil nil and we weren't looking like scoring until Ranieri switched things towards the end; to a 4-2-3-1 if I remember correctly. Only then did we start getting behind the Norwich defence and I doubt we'd have scored without Claudio's changes. I think that late goal was massive, psychologically. Among our most important of to season.

Definitely.. This match following the defeat at Arsenal!

Norwich at home. The pressure was really on at nil nil and we weren't looking like scoring until Ranieri switched things towards the end; to a 4-2-3-1 if I remember correctly. Only then did we start getting behind the Norwich defence and I doubt we'd have scored without Claudio's changes. I think that late goal was massive, psychologically. Among our most important of to season.

Yeah forgot that one, that was huge

Not in a specific game but the big change for me was in defence, both switching De Laet and Schlupp for Simpson and Fuchs but also switching Huth to LCB and Wes to RCB. Defence has looked completely solid since!

I still think Villa at home was more the brainless subs Sherwood made rather than our tactical masterclass.

I thoroughly applauded what Ranieri did at Southampton, Everton and Watford plus many others. Everton we'd been muck first half but 2nd half we came out and he'd tinkered with the formation and we blew them away. Should have been 5 or 6.

I recall him being shouted down for trying changes from 4-4-2 early in the season when we were letting a few in, soon changed it back again - didn't really get much wrong did he, pure class when it comes to man management and he's got a wonderful temperament in front of the camera. I wonder if he's as cool calm and collected on the training ground ;)

There are so many ways Claudio differs from Pearson - perhaps most pronounced being the thought and logic of his substitutions and his humbly good natured PR that has served so well to limit the pressure and keep his players minds on the job.

In both aspects Ranieri's been masterful. Times he changes a game for the better with a shrewd adjustment and i really wouldn't pick one moment out as being more effective than another. Indeed the real story is that he's been so consistently effective when changing things.

With Pearson I often failed to understand the logic of his substitutions - and some seemed to be made for no other reason than to give another player a game.

As for his PR it was woeful and too often reflective of arrogance or contempt.  

Of course he had positive qualities as well. But his limitations acted like the drag of a massive anchor.

Ranieri, by contrast, turns PR to his advantage. He's very subtle at times. But his smiling charm doesn't mask the fact that he's a ruthless competitor and the ideal man to get the best from a equally uncompromising group of players.    

He's been faultless with his substitutions decisions all season.. Total opposite to what NP was doing for most of last season

.Claudio is a tactical genius!

Didn't think it would take long for someone to make an NP dig. Top of the league yet you still get posts like this

Anyway on to the point of the thread. Dropping Mahrez was a big decision that if he got wrong could've been a huge mistake but it worked wonders.

The Villa game is the big one for me though, never seen a team play so different in two halves of a game

With Vardy suspended, he dropped Albrighton & brought in Schlupp. We all expected Albrighton to swing the crosses in for Ulloa & it took us all by surprise.

To be fair I don't recall any match where he put on the Albrighton and Ulloa show . I don't believe that the "lump it up to the big centre forward" is in his coaching ethos

Losing 3 games all season, I would say every decision he had made has been right.

The bloke spends hour after hour, watching videos of the opposition, and has created the best season in our history, so for me he hasn't put a foot wrong, and everything he has done has turned to gold

Remember at the start of the season during our failures to get clean sheets, when people accepted we were playing 4-4-2 this season and did not constantly cry out for our "great escape" formation of 3-5-1 ??

No, me neither.

Claudio knew best.

Archived