Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
catfordfox

Claudio's best tactical change/substitution

Didn't think it would take long for someone to make an NP dig. Top of the league yet you still get posts like this

He's not having a needless 'dig' at NP. Simply that tactical changes and replacements were a problem for much of last year and that the pronounced change is one of the many reasons why we are top of the league as opposed to the relegation battle that we found ourselves embroiled in last April. 

Although we didn't win it,  I loved the way he took off Fuchs and we went all out attack against West Brom - the introduction of Schlupp and Gray prompting the most relentless bombardment this season. He was quick to react at Stoke away as I recall where we had started with a three man MF.

Knew how to get the best out of a squad he inherited, tweaked it after the Arsenal home defeat and knew what substitutions to make and when to make them.

Remember being surprised on day one when we had changed from the previous seasons run in formation of 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 and at the football played to give Sunderland a hiding.

I'd say his biggest change that no one saw coming was Simpson for DeLaet well into the season.

Guest MattP

Chelsea at home, Remy had scored to get one back and Pedro was murdering us down the left hand side every time they got the ball (the goal coming from his cross), he took a striker off and bought a central midfielder on, shifted Kante into a right sided defensive midfielder and Pedro never got a cross in for the rest of the game, in fact he barely even got the ball.

We held out to win 2-1, what struck me about it was that it was something no one would even consider doing, let alone think it up under that pressure and do it.

To be fair I don't recall any match where he put on the Albrighton and Ulloa show . I don't believe that the "lump it up to the big centre forward" is in his coaching ethos

I'm not sure that's what we expected.  More that with Alrighton on the wing, he'd be swinging in crosses for Ulloa. 

Schlupp has delivered some great crosses over the years, but we all know that he's very inconsistent (being kind).

But Ranieri kept his nerve & proved us to be complete amateurs when it comes to tactics

Another thing I love about what he brought in, is the way the players talk during games, especially early on in games.

I've noticed it much more under ranieri.

Usually it's Huth, Morgan and Drinkwater. I'm sure it's about how the opposition are shaping up and who needs to pick up who etc.

I think our players have adopted ranieri ideas and have really taken them onboard.

In the pre season I can see Ranieri making us a real tactical powerhouse having time to work with the players with his ideas etc.

My favourite changes were the Watford away game. Was an important game to win and he didn't mess around or wait for something to happen. He was proactive and made big changes at half time

Another thing I love about what he brought in, is the way the players talk during games, especially early on in games.

I've noticed it much more under ranieri.

Usually it's Huth, Morgan and Drinkwater. I'm sure it's about how the opposition are shaping up and who needs to pick up who etc.

I think our players have adopted ranieri ideas and have really taken them onboard.

In the pre season I can see Ranieri making us a real tactical powerhouse having time to work with the players with his ideas etc.

My favourite changes were the Watford away game. Was an important game to win and he didn't mess around or wait for something to happen. He was proactive and made big changes at half time

One of my favourite moments of the season was during the Newcastle game recently - we were 1 up but it was all a bit nervy. Waiting for a corner, wes walked up to vardy and said something to him. Then they both cracked up. I was totally bricking it at that point and to see the players so relaxed and still having fun spoke volumes about this team. Started to think that players think about football in a very different way to fans - got to remember that these players aren't lifelong city fans (Ie waiting for the inevitable disaster). The weight of the clubs history isnt on their shoulders in the same as it is for the fans. Thankfully!

Ranieri has made me truly realise that i am not a master tactician, so often, especially when the game is in the balance or not going to plan, he makes a change and i think eh? Whats he done that for?

I now just think - Claudio knows best! 

Remember at the start of the season during our failures to get clean sheets, when people accepted we were playing 4-4-2 this season and did not constantly cry out for our "great escape" formation of 3-5-1 ??

No, me neither.

Claudio knew best.

why would we play with 10 men.

He's been faultless with his substitutions decisions all season.. Total opposite to what NP was doing for most of last season

.Claudio is a tactical genius!

Almost faultess.

King for Okazaki at half-time in the home defeat against Arsenal was not the right sub and allowed Arsenal to play further up the pitch.

Amazing how quickly he spotted this and learned from it.

Does anyone else think in hindsight we should have been a bit more ambitious at home against Manchester City when we drew 0-0? We went 4-5-1 with Vardy up top on his own, it didn't suit him. It was a good point but considering that a few weeks earlier Stoke had played Man City off the park, I think we gave them too much respect.

At the Etihad we went 4-4-2 and we turned them over quite easily.

CR is a great tactician.

Norwich at home. The pressure was really on at nil nil and we weren't looking like scoring until Ranieri switched things towards the end; to a 4-2-3-1 if I remember correctly. Only then did we start getting behind the Norwich defence and I doubt we'd have scored without Claudio's changes. I think that late goal was massive, psychologically. Among our most important of to season.

This is spot , not only the substitution but changed formation also to win the game. Difference between him and NP

Dropping Mahrez for Norwich away. Sent out a HUGE message, and it worked

Right match, wrong reason IMO.

After Arsenal had beat us 5-2 and we were very gung ho and exciting to watch up to that point with De Laet and Schlupp as our full backs. Up until then we were still getting good results but had conceded 14 goals in 7 matches, now you can't conceded two goals per game on average and be successful.

Since Fuchs and Simpson came in as our full backs we've been incredibly more solid as a defensive unit and conceded 19 goals in 28 matches. When we started becoming more solid I thought we had a chance of doing of doing something as being mean defensively is a must for successful sides.

Since Norwich away we've conceded 0.67 goals per match which makes us meaner than self proclaimed best defence Tottenham this season who have conceded 0.74 goals per match.

Oh and something that's not been mentioned yet, but has been so crucial... Our move towards using set pieces, both attacking ones and defensive ones as opportunites to score.

This has been so key in so may games.

Agree.

We were conceding too many goals from set pieces earlier in the season to a point where I was dreading every set piece coming into our box. Not only did Ranieri fix our leaking defence but he fixed our weaknesses from set pieces. The last set piece goal we conceded was Welbeck at the Emirates. Before that was Schweinsteiger at home.

Guest CityFan 06

Tactically Ranieri has been outstanding all season.

I'd probably say these games:

Aston Villa (H)

Watford (A)

Southampton (A)

The only negative would be the Villa (away) game, bringing on De Laet for Okazaki. Seemed an odd move, 1-0 up against the bottom team.

Bournemouth away?

Bournemouth away?

3rd game of the season and he hadn't found his best eleven yet. Kante was shifted out wide for King, and Mahrez was pulled off at HT. We were poor that day but I think CR was still finding his feet.

definitely when he removed jeff schlupp from the defence and we went from the worst defence in the league to the best in our history. seemed obvious to a few intelligent folk but never expected it to work so well. 

Archived