Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alf Bentley

The Fall / Mark E. Smith

I ended up watching large chunks of this yet again yesterday.

If you like or have any curiosity about The Fall / Mark E. Smith, this is unmissable.

A profile of truly outstanding quality. They've somehow managed to get Mark himself to open up a bit, and to get top quality insight from former band members and people in the know, all spiced up with outstanding footage and soundtrack.

He seems an absolute nightmare as a bloke.....but maverick artist / music genius par excellence.

For anyone that thinks he looks rough, you should see him now.

I agree, Alf, that's a top documentary.  That's the one with Ben Pritchard in, isn't it? Ben wasn't quite so complimentary after walking out of an American tour when Mark chucked a full pint at the coach driver (who was driving the coach at the time).

This probably sounds like total balls coming from a fan, but I would find him/them fascinating even if I wasn't into the music.

Have you read Steve Hanley's book, Alf?  I was really enjoying that but managed to mislay it just as I was getting to the bit in New York where it all falls apart and the band decide they've had enough.  I can remember all that kicking off, and I was looking forward to hearing an account from someone sensible.   Must track it down

I've always liked The Fall & Mark E Smith, but find they can be just as awful as they are brilliant.  I don't think I've ever listened to whole album from start to finish. 

It's on the ipod in the kitchen.  A quick blast whilst I do the washing up is great but about as much as I can handle in one go.

In the mid 90's I went down the student union bar at Sheffield to watch Leicester v Newcastle.  The game when Shearer came on as sub & fvcked us.  The bar was almost empty except for Mark E Smith & a few others having a pint.  Must have played a gig the night before.  I would have loved to have had a chat with him but he's far too dangerous.  He'd have ruined me.  I have wondered if he has any friends?  He must be impossible to get on with on a regular basis.

Like you say, he's a maverick & that's why I like him.  We all try not to give a shit what people think of us & balls if you don't like it.  Mark E Smith has it nailed down.

For anyone that thinks he looks rough, you should see him now.

I agree, Alf, that's a top documentary.  That's the one with Ben Pritchard in, isn't it? Ben wasn't quite so complimentary after walking out of an American tour when Mark chucked a full pint at the coach driver (who was driving the coach at the time).

This probably sounds like total balls coming from a fan, but I would find him/them fascinating even if I wasn't into the music.

Have you read Steve Hanley's book, Alf?  I was really enjoying that but managed to mislay it just as I was getting to the bit in New York where it all falls apart and the band decide they've had enough.  I can remember all that kicking off, and I was looking forward to hearing an account from someone sensible.   Must track it down

You've spurred me into action and cost me some cash, BS. I've ordered the Hanley book from Amazon after reading the reviews (45 x 5-star and 9 x 4-star, out of 55). I lead such an isolated, out-of-touch life now that I didn't even know that book existed, so thanks for alerting me.

Hanley was a stalwart of almost all the best Fall incarnations - though they could still be pretty good 5-10 years ago, when I last saw them. Hanley must be a saint to have put up with Smith for almost 20 years.

I could probably have met MES during my Salford/Manchester years (92-97) as I was friendly with a bloke who was active in the local music scene and who knew him. I wouldn't have wanted to do so, though. I'd have probably found him obnoxious and he'd have probably snubbed me or treated me with contempt. I'd prefer to admire his work from afar.

I was waiting to post until I'd heard back from my mate in Leeds who went to see them about 10 days ago. He's just replied: "I wasn't impressed; the band were tight enough, but I think Mark's voice just sounds awful these days. At least he stayed on stage for the whole set, and faced the audience a reasonable proportion of the time, which is probably the best you can hope for".

I'd still like to see them again. Was due to see them 3 times about 5-10 years ago, but they cancelled 1 gig at the last minute. They were excellent at the second gig, but disappointing at the third. From what I've heard about MES' lifestyle, it's extraordinary that he's still alive and doing anything. Must never write him off, I suppose - he's earned that expectation. 

Great band, saw them at Summer Sundae a few years ago in DeMontfort hall. His missus is tasty as well, Fall keyboard player Elena.

I was at that. That's the performance that I thought was a bit disappointing (though not disastrous). Saw them somewhere in the city a year or two earlier (the Charlotte) and thought they were outstanding there.

Just found this on Youtube, must be the gig, I think (Charlotte, 2006 - includes Elena footage  :thumbup:)

I read something on twitter the other week, can't remember where that unsurprisingly he is incredibly difficult to business with and that all communication has to be through the post, no email, no phone etc.

Archived