Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Harry Kane should start for England ahead of Jamie Vardy at Euro 2016, insists Teddy Sheringham

IUA1Feo.jpg

Leading men: Kane and Vardy both want to start for England Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Tottenham striker Harry Kane should start ahead of Leicester's Jamie Vardy for England at Euro 2016, according toTeddy Sheringham.

The Spurs forward scored 25 Premier League goals to win the Golden Boot ahead of his compatriot this season and the duo are vying to lead the Three Lions' line in France.

Roy Hodgson is yet to settle on a preferred line-up ahead of the tournament and opted to use Kane rather than Vardy in last week's warm-up friendly against Turkey before moving the Leicester striker into a central role in the latter stages of the game.

Marcus Rashford is expected to be handed a chance to prove his worth during tonight's clash with Australia but Sheringham is adamant Kane deserves to be deployed as the nation's attacking focal point this summer.

"It makes more sense to play Harry Kane with Wayne Rooney in behind and leave Jamie Vardy on the bench for England," he told Paddy Power.

"That’s not the Tottenham bias in me either - Kane has more to his game than Vardy.

"If you assess everything that Kane and Vardy can both do - they can both run the channels, they can both score from long distance, and they both get goals with their right foot.

"However, Kane is better on his left foot, Kane is better in the air, and Kane is better at receiving the ball.

"Vardy’s pace is probably exceptional and that makes him different, but Kane has something more to his game and at international level you need that," Sheringham added.

Kane was accused of becoming a one-season wonder after a slow start to the season at White Hart Lane but Sheringham believes critics can help spur the 22-year-old on to new heights.

"People wrote me off all my career - they said I was too slow to move to the next level. That was my motivation.

"At every level I played at, I used that to drive me on. Kane’s attitude is right.

"He knows he can play the game and he knows he can score goals. The motivation is to silence the critics who said you couldn’t," insisted the former England striker. 

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenhams-harry-kane-should-start-for-england-ahead-of-jamie-vardy-at-euro-2016-insists-teddy-a3258801.html

Sheringham is a c~nt. London Media, plot against us blah blah blah.

He's entitled to his opinion.

I am all for everyone entitled to an opinion and generally it's hard to say an opinion is right or wrong, but to come out with "Kane has more to his game than Vardy" is quite clearly wrong.

Kanes a good striker but I rate Vardy much higher, though Kane obviously has more time on his side unless injuries blight his career.

I'd take them both over the other contenders though but Roy will probably view Shrek as his main forward.

Not that any of it matters with such a shocking defence.

If we're playing with one striker then I don't think any Leicester fan can deny that it should be Kane up front.

However, we all know that we should be playing two strikers and Vardy should be partnering Kane down the middle.

If we're playing with one striker then I don't think any Leicester fan can deny that it should be Kane up front.

However, we all know that we should be playing two strikers and Vardy should be partnering Kane down the middle.

Pretty much this.

Ask a centre half which one they would rather play against, and i`m pretty sure they would say Kane.

Good player that Kane is, he doesn`t possess the one thing that frightens defenders most, Pace, which Vardy has that in abundance, and he is an absolute nightmare for defenders!

Sherringham was very similar to Kane when he played, so i suppose that, and the fact that he will be influenced by his Tottenham Hotbottlers connection, we shouldn`t be surprised by his opinion really.

Thing is, a lot of comments about Vardy and Drinkwater seem to be that the step up to international football is to much.

It's such an old fashioned view. The standard between the top of the Prem and international football is virtually nonexistent, you could probably even say the Prem was a higher standard, it's certainly faster and to be fair, England play a good team maybe once every 4-8 years.

How is the 'international game' which mostly comprising playing minor european countries such as Moldova and San Marino a steo up from the premiership?

Vardy and Drinkwater clearly have the talent, they just won the F'ing league. The only question is whether they are the best fit for the system Woy wants to play and whether he utilises them correctly if played, not that the 'step up' to playing friendlies against Australia is to much for the poor little lambs to handle.

With only one striker England will have a tougher time, unless you have a dominant midfield, which is unlikely. Putting one striker by himself will mean England's early exit.

Playing 1 striker is a joke. Thats not how england should be playing. Vardy and kane have been exceptional this season while tooney has been average at best. It is what it is but woy should take his head out of his arse and play the two up front.

No offense teddy but england should be playing a pacey style. Up the pitch bang goal. Done.

Thing is, a lot of comments about Vardy and Drinkwater seem to be that the step up to international football is to much.

It's such an old fashioned view. The standard between the top of the Prem and international football is virtually nonexistent, you could probably even say the Prem was a higher standard, it's certainly faster and to be fair, England play a good team maybe once every 4-8 years.

How is the 'international game' which mostly comprising playing minor european countries such as Moldova and San Marino a steo up from the premiership?

Vardy and Drinkwater clearly have the talent, they just won the F'ing league. The only question is whether they are the best fit for the system Woy wants to play and whether he utilises them correctly if played, not that the 'step up' to playing friendlies against Australia is to much for the poor little lambs to handle.

I remember Merson saying Vardy wouldn't cut it at international level because he might be quick in the premier league, at international level defenders are quicker. The vast majority of times it's the same ****ing defenders lol Do they get quicker when they don their nations shirt? Does Mertesacker morph into Usian Bolt when he plays for Germany? lol

I know blokes like Sheringham get paid for being pundits, so it's fine for him to offer an opinion, but why do they always speak as if they're an absolute authority on football? We know how crap Sheringham's understanding of the game is from his laughable attempt at being a manager. Is it that hard for him to drop the occasional "in my opinion" into his views? Just a little bit of class and humility, instead of pretending you know what you're talking about when everybody knows beyond doubt that you don't.

Also agree with the comments about international football being a "step up" are a myth. Certainly the upcoming tournament, with 8 additional teams this year, is a significant step down from the premiership on average. I think Leicester would get to the semi finals of this tournament easily, and would have a good chance of winning it. I'd say it's about on par with the FA Cup in terms of quality, and it's still the same game. People talk as if international football is a whole new game. It's not, that's just a weak excuse for failure. In my opinion.

I remember Merson saying Vardy wouldn't cut it at international level because he might be quick in the premier league, at international level defenders are quicker. The vast majority of times it's the same ****ing defenders lol Do they get quicker when they don their nations shirt? Does Mertesacker morph into Usian Bolt when he plays for Germany? lol

Merson looks and sounds brain damaged at the best of times.

Well he's another one to add to the chop list when the revolution comes....

It's one thing to say you rate Kane higher than Vardy (I mean it's still wrong and the majority of his supporting arguments are complete lies but you know). But to say Rooney should play in behind and Vardy should be on the bench means you should probably have your tongue and fingers cut off so you're unable to express an opinion ever again.

I'm all for freedom of speech but I'll have to start making exceptions with some of these people.

Archived