Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Okazaki = Class

lol This thing really irks me and I wish it didn't, but it does. Cent means 100 no more no less [unless to do with profit etc].

Shouldn't let it put you off the post though mate. Agreed with it. Okazaki.....love the dude.

I did read more, just trying to make a point :)

His work rate is phenomenal and I expect him to improve next season but I'd still buy Deeney.

Yes why do people not realise that it is not possible for any player to give more than 100%.

It's an expression, exaggerating his work because Shinji put as much effort as humanly possible. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Ulloa = Class

• RDL v Villa - Ulloa & Morgan are marked by two players, plus a man on the line at the far post, plus the keeper (wary of their threat) starts off too near the far post
  • Vardy's 2nd v Arsenal - assist
  • Mahrez v West Brom - Ulloa and Vardy's runs into the box leave Mahrez free
  • Mahrez's 2nd v Brom - again
  • Vardy v Newcastle - assist
  • Ulloa goal v Newcastle
  • Mahrez's 1st v Swansea - draws two players, who then fail to block/clear the ball away (also helps win the corner by covering the backpass)
  • Vardy v Chelsea - his presence at the edge of the box leaves Terry wrong-footed and he can't deal with the cross
  • Mahrez v Chelsea - again, his presence in the box means Terry is looking over his shoulder and not able to double up on Mahrez like Jose wanted
  • Huth v Spurs - helps cause havoc in the box, leaving Huth with a free header
  • Vardy v Stoke - passes to Drinky who passes it long to Vardy
  • Ulloa goal v Stoke
  • Ulloa goal v Norwich
  • Ulloa pen v West Ham
  • Ulloa's 1st v Swansea
  • Ulloa's 2nd v Swansea

So 16/68 goals... with half the minutes that Okazaki had on the pitch.

Should be more of a goal threat, he doesn't even get into many goalscoring positions, even as an attacking midfielder (which he essentially is given how deep he plays). It'd be less of an issue if he was more creative but he's not.

I love Leo (and dont want him to leave!) but he only gives 100% :D I agree with those who say you can't give 110% but OP is 100% right, Shinji does just that! Every game. He would left his heart and both lungs on the pitch if Claudio asked.

These ugly rebound goals, constant running at defenders, tackles, unforgettable bicycle kick vs Newcastle and smile that melts icecaps and pisses off Tottenham fans and even falling over. Since around december I think he's been invaluable part of the team that in the end won the title. He's a legend to me  :scarf:

Having said that I think he still can improve his game score more goals and fall over less but as long as he shows his typical Okazaki-style commitment I'm not wengered

Deeney is alright but would be a rather underwhelming signing (not to mention vastly overpriced)

Obligatory Okazaki chant in support of the Leicester samurai

Love the bloke and appreciate everything he's done for us. I'd like to see him stick around but I do think of all the regular first team players he's the easiest to replace. He needs to work on his strength and balance to make the most of his brilliant energy and positional play

Tired of people slating this bloke lately, he deserves his own thread of appreciation because he has been an unsung hero. His work rate, effort & enthusiasm epitomises our team more than anyone! We all know about his defensive contribution, but whilst you all complain he's always on the floor, he won the most free kicks in the league out of any player, which helped relieve pressure on our defence. He's not going to score 20 goals a season, or get 15 assists, or skin a defender. What he will do is give us 110% every game & continue to help us defensively but also help others score goals through his running & movement off the ball.

And for anyone questioning his contribution attacking wise, this is what I posted in the Deeney thread:

Whilst Mahrez & others have been fantastic for us ON THE BALL, Okazaki's work OFF THE BALL has been just as important. Now go watch our 68 goals on youtube, Okazaki is involved in nearly a third of them, either through running to create space, movement, positioning, assisting or scoring:

• Vardys 1st Vs Sunderland - Shinji's run in the box takes the defender away

• Albrighton Vs Sunderland - Shinji's movement creates havoc in Sunderland's defence allowing Albrighton to score

• okazaki goal vs west ham

• Mahrez goal vs west ham - played in marc Albrighton to assist Mahrez

• Mahrez goal vs Tottenham - Shinji's run takes the a defender away, creating more space for Mahrez

• vardy vs arsenal - his run, means the defender can’t move towards vardy to block his shot

• schlupp vs Norwich - won the ball back to set up the counter

• okazaki goal vs Newcastle

• okazaki wins penalty vs everton

• okazaki goal vs everton

• everton, vardy wins penalty, okazaki’s run pulls defender away for vardy giving him space to run behind

• okazaki goal vs aston villa

• okazaki shot assists vardy for 2nd goal vs Liverpool

• huth 1st goal vs man city, okazaki holds off the defender at front post giving huth space to run into

• Mahrez goal vs man city, Okazaki's runs to the left allows Mahrez to cut in to score on his right foot

• Mahrez goal vs palace, okazaki’s run take one defender away, creating space for Mahrez to run into

• morgan goal vs Southampton, okazaki’s run makes two defenders follow him, giving Morgan space to head the cross in

• king goal vs west brom, okazaki’s run down the left wing means Albrighton has room to cut in on his right foot & cross to Mahrez who assists king

• morgan goal vs man united, okazaki’s run at the last second distracts de gea & stops him from getting close to the ball

• andy king goal vs everton, okazaki’s run occupys the main center back who can’t get out in time to block king’s shot

So 21/68 goals, Okazaki is involved in & helped create and to be honest I probably even missed some out. So for those underestimating Okazaki's influence in our attacking play just take a look at that list. ON THE BALL he can be improved on, no doubt. But his work OFF THE BALL will be much harder to replace.

And that's just goal scored. Who knows how many chances we have created due to Okazaki's work off the ball. Probably 100. And people say he's a headless chicken, when in reality he has an intelligent footballing brain & his runs are what helped set up a third of our goals.

Great post - could of gave us abit more information though ;p lol

Fair play to write up everything you have - I have been a Shinji fan all season and hopefully a post like this will put some of the haters to rest.

Yes he can come across clumsy and maybe doesn't contribute as many goals as what others would probably expect but his work rate is second to none! What he does off the ball by hassling the opposition, creating chances and opening spaces is invaluable.

And who doesn't love his smile!? lol

Great post and good footballing awareness

Really isn't. He's a professional footballer with a 8 figure price tag playing in a forward position and we are trying to give him credit for making runs and getting people to mark him.

I like him, but talk about being over analytical.

Just not good enough.

It is not enough to say that he works hard and runs a lot and occupies a defender - of course he does, they have to mark him.  We need some quality in that position, some assists and some goals.  Hard work should be a pre-requisite.

If Shinji is so good why has he missed 1200 minutes of games that he started from being subbed off?

Tired of people slating this bloke lately, he deserves his own thread of appreciation because he has been an unsung hero. His work rate, effort & enthusiasm epitomises our team more than anyone! We all know about his defensive contribution, but whilst you all complain he's always on the floor, he won the most free kicks in the league out of any player, which helped relieve pressure on our defence. He's not going to score 20 goals a season, or get 15 assists, or skin a defender. What he will do is give us 110% every game & continue to help us defensively but also help others score goals through his running & movement off the ball.

And for anyone questioning his contribution attacking wise, this is what I posted in the Deeney thread:

Whilst Mahrez & others have been fantastic for us ON THE BALL, Okazaki's work OFF THE BALL has been just as important. Now go watch our 68 goals on youtube, Okazaki is involved in nearly a third of them, either through running to create space, movement, positioning, assisting or scoring:

• Vardys 1st Vs Sunderland - Shinji's run in the box takes the defender away

• Albrighton Vs Sunderland - Shinji's movement creates havoc in Sunderland's defence allowing Albrighton to score

• okazaki goal vs west ham

• Mahrez goal vs west ham - played in marc Albrighton to assist Mahrez

• Mahrez goal vs Tottenham - Shinji's run takes the a defender away, creating more space for Mahrez

• vardy vs arsenal - his run, means the defender can’t move towards vardy to block his shot

• schlupp vs Norwich - won the ball back to set up the counter

• okazaki wins penalty vs everton

• okazaki goal vs everton

• everton, vardy wins penalty, okazaki’s run pulls defender away for vardy giving him space to run behind

• okazaki goal vs aston villa

• okazaki shot assists vardy for 2nd goal vs Liverpool

• huth 1st goal vs man city, okazaki holds off the defender at front post giving huth space to run into

• Mahrez goal vs man city, Okazaki's runs to the left allows Mahrez to cut in to score on his right foot

• Mahrez goal vs palace, okazaki’s run take one defender away, creating space for Mahrez to run into

• morgan goal vs Southampton, okazaki’s run makes two defenders follow him, giving Morgan space to head the cross in

• king goal vs west brom, okazaki’s run down the left wing means Albrighton has room to cut in on his right foot & cross to Mahrez who assists king

• morgan goal vs man united, okazaki’s run at the last second distracts de gea & stops him from getting close to the ball

• andy king goal vs everton, okazaki’s run occupys the main center back who can’t get out in time to block king’s shot

Some of these are extremely dubious. 

For instance, Andy King v Everton - Mahrez is running into the box, actually gets pushed in the back by Everton defender allowing second defender to get foot in - ball breaks to AK - Goal! 

Shinji's involvement is non existent.

Huth v Spurs, cross comes in, one spurs defender takes out another, Huth find himself with free header - Shinji does not 'help cause havoc in the box'.  Shinji's involvement again is totally non existent

These are two off the top of my head, I won't go through them all, but the original post is absolute nonsense.

Just not good enough.

It is not enough to say that he works hard and runs a lot and occupies a defender - of course he does, they have to mark him. We need some quality in that position, some assists and some goals. Hard work should be a pre-requisite.

If Shinji is so good why has he missed 1200 minutes of games that he started from being subbed off?

Because he ran himself into the ground and then we brought on fresh legs, which worked, so we did it again, and then again, and again. Etc.

I don't know how he can be deemed "not good enough". Not good enough for what? He was good enough to be part of a title winning team last year. How much more did you expect from a relatively cheap striker?

I think we can improve on Okazaki with the money we've got available, but nobody can say he didn't do a good job for us last season considering what our expectations realistically were. Ulloa did a good job too, they all did. Every player who was a major part of that team did brilliantly well. We won the ****ing league.

Sorry, I don't rate him that highly.  Playing behind Vardy, should have scored more or got more assists since Vardy occupied the defenders' attention.  Okazaki worked hard, but he was too lightweight on the ball and lacked the pace to really bother defenders.  The fact that City are trying to buy Deeney  or Musa or Slimani tells me that they want an upgrade in the #10 role. 

Okazaki has scored 15 goals in a Bundesliga season. Vardy also only scored 5 goals 2 seasons ago.

Why are people assuming that this was his best season for us and he can't improve? We know he's only just learnt English and his dairy entries in the other thread suggest he knows himself it took a while for him to settle in.

Vardy, Drinkwater, Morgan, King, Simpson... All been written off at some point or another - I remember Gerry Taggart getting absolutely slaughtered in his first season here - you'd have thought people would've learnt by now!

There's plenty to suggest that we haven't seen the consistent best from Shinji yet (and we've certainly seen some brilliant individual games and moments from him in flashes to know we can still see more).

This "upgrade" stuff makes me cringe, it makes some of sound like Arsenal fans, seriously. One season doesn't mean that we're only going to see that level and that same level of consistency for every season for the rest of his career. It's a squad game, not an 11 man team and he'll be an important part of that next season - he has great attributes that other players may be able to exploit better or he may have learnt the English game better - who the feck knows?

Guest CityFan 06

I think Sampson makes a good point there and one which I agree with. It's his first season in English football, top flight football, so next season I think he will improve and score more goals. He's had a season of adaption which will only benefit him.

On the point of this though, this is why I'd like us to keep Ulloa, because he didn't play regularly as a first teamer last season and yet scored six goals, he has a striker's instinct. And, in the 2014/15 season he played almost every match as our main striker and scored 11. I feel Leo could still offer us goals plus much more and really hope he stays.

Okazaki has scored 15 goals in a Bundesliga season. Vardy also only scored 5 goals 2 seasons ago.

Why are people assuming that this was his best season for us and he can't improve? We know he's only just learnt English and his dairy entries in the other thread suggest he knows himself it took a while for him to settle in.

Vardy, Drinkwater, Morgan, King, Simpson... All been written off at some point or another - I remember Gerry Taggart getting absolutely slaughtered in his first season here - you'd have thought people would've learnt by now!

There's plenty to suggest that we haven't seen the consistent best from Shinji yet (and we've certainly seen some brilliant individual games and moments from him in flashes to know we can still see more).

This "upgrade" stuff makes me cringe, it makes some of sound like Arsenal fans, seriously. One season doesn't mean that we're only going to see that level and that same level of consistency for every season for the rest of his career. It's a squad game, not an 11 man team and he'll be an important part of that next season - he has great attributes that other players may be able to exploit better or he may have learnt the English game better - who the feck knows?

I agree, plenty of players have improved beyond recognition last year however,  plenty of players that we have had have started crap and stayed crap.

However you have to judge a player on what you see.  If he is not performing, you have to say so and if he improves, then give him the credit he deserves.

I hope that Shinji improves and if he does I will give  him cerdit for that.  For now though - just not good enough.

Has had a steady season, in a championship winning team, I hope he improves on the lack of goals, and becomes more of a threat, and gets out of his game the frustrating parts, like he needs to be stronger, and not going down all the time.

For me plus and minus for him, but will always be part of the great team, hope he improves, and having new strikers coming in, he has to improve to hold a place down.

By no means am I slating him, just trying to be balanced, as he does offer us something, but can be so frustrating as well.

Archived