Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

Schmeichel vs Zieler

Guest Mee-9

Remember that season we had like 4000/5000 different keepers in a season and 99% of them were crap?

Seems crazy having two good keepers at the club finally.

On 7/20/2016 at 18:52, Fox92 said:

Schmeichel still can't set his walls up properly for free kicks, and his starting position is at times questionable. Again yesterday, he should have saved it. Needs to study Neuer more, he literally put two or three men in his wall during the European Championships and it was superb.

My first Post but ..... I dont think saving a free kick comes alot better than this . Hi all

On 21/07/2016 at 13:10, Mee-9 said:

Remember that season we had like 4000/5000 different keepers in a season and 99% of them were crap?

Seems crazy having two good keepers at the club finally.

Yes I remember, one of them was Tony fcucking Warner!

Guest ttfn

All this tedious debate is highlighting is how good it is to have competition for the number 1 berth.

It will be good to see Schmeichel stretched by having somebody other than a Championship keeper or the oldest player in the league breathing down his neck.

Kasper no doubt. I think he's a great leader on the pitch and his distribution is always a massive asset. Will be very hard for Zieler to displace him but I'm sure both will get plenty of game time in the various competitions this season.

I'm so glad we now have two great Keepers vying for the starting place, Zieler made a couple of really smart saves in the 1st half, I really believe we can compete on all fronts, with these two. I love Kasper even though my missus fancies the pants off of him! It will be nice going to a few games without her having that silly smile on her face, when looking at our Keeper!:D

50 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I did say don't worry about Ron Robert....he's a good keeper!

It's great having two keepers who are good enough to play as our number one, the problem may well be keeping both of them happy!

At least the 'b' team is guaranteed to have more games this season, including league games that are too soon after/before? CL games, in addition to the usual cup matches -  (Since we can only register 1 1/2 teams for the CL, it only makes sense to play the 'a' team + extras there?) -  so they should a) keep more match fit, and b) be happier at playing more often?

Does fixture congestion apply to keepers though? They don't generally have a whole lot to do each match compared to the outfield players, and should be fine playing twice a week?

And surely picking the same keeper for every match is better as it allows better match fitness and a better understanding with the back four?

The challenge is to pick which keeper it will be, and keeping the other happy on the bench...

Time will tell and for now it doesn't matter much.  Seems to me we've got two decent goalkeepers who will presumably each be inspired by the presence of the other. It's a team effort at Leicester - the philosophy is clearly emphasised and expected on a daily basis in training and on match day - and I'm quite sure Ranieri has the experience to continue managing the mood admirably, including that new contract for Waso! :) 

Seriously, both our main 'keepers seem to have a mature attitude and there's a lot of others around them to encourage it. In the end I'm quite sure both will benefit from the competition. As with every other position, we need that competition to have any chance of continued success. The volume of games, level of intensity and our increasing ambition demands it.   

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Does fixture congestion apply to keepers though? They don't generally have a whole lot to do each match compared to the outfield players, and should be fine playing twice a week?

And surely picking the same keeper for every match is better as it allows better match fitness and a better understanding with the back four?

The challenge is to pick which keeper it will be, and keeping the other happy on the bench...

Not if you're playing with a different back four, too - (as a proper 'b' team, due to so many matches...?  It really depends on how many mid-week games we'll end up playing in a row due to CL and cups.  It's what 'b' teams are for, and is why top teams need such sizeable squads - which we didn't really need last year due to our almost sole focus on the league, (and our pathetic 'b' team showings in the cups).  If we play the 'a' team in the CL, we need a stronger 'b' team for the league matches surrounding it - and I'm not sure that mixing and matching teams (unless for fitness/injury reasons) is going to be a good idea.

To me Kasper is our undisputed no 1 and one of the best keepers in the Premier League. The competition from Zieler should push Kasper to improve further. I expect Kasper to stay as our no 1 unless he was to have a drastic dip in form or he gets injured. Then it would depend on how Zieler performs to see if he could claim the shirt/starting place on a regular basis.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/kasper-schmeichel-officially-second-best-8083424

This stat surprised me but shows there is method in the madness. Perhaps it's just a case of he kicks further up the pitch than every other keeper so naturally more will go out of play. Even when the ball goes out we can press high up the pitch to win the ball back from the throw in.

Zieler will be a good number 2 but Schmeichel is way ahead in and will remain No.1.

Even in the friendly at Celtic Kasper demonstrated an aura that top keepers have......we have one of the best and personally I hope he signs a new long contract extension.

Archived