Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

Community Shield - Buildup

Community Shield  

384 members have voted

1. 1. What does the match mean to you?

• It's a meaningless friendly but a nice day out a Wembley
    • It's not massively important, but it's mostly important as a benchmark for the season ahead
    • It's a huge game, on the same level as say, the League cup final

12 hours ago, C-man said:

lol that last comment must be a wind-up. The Charity Shield has been going since 1908. It's part of our national game and has been recognised as an honour since. 

Don't buy the 'it's a one-off game' argument either. We've taken 38 games to qualify for this, United 6. 

Some bigger clubs may have tried to devalue it, probably as the same teams tend to compete in it most years, but it's another trophy to potentially add to the collection. A collection that NEEDS adding to. That's the whole purpose of football.

This is more important than a single league game, no question.

Absolute tosh. You won't find a single player or manager who would share that view.

And I for one, would much rather us pick up three points the following week than win this.

That's not to say of course that I wouldn't love it if we did win. Seeing Wes walk up to get the trophy at Wembley would be absolutely fantastic, but in the overall context of the season, it doesn't matter. By the time the nights are drawing in, no one will rememeber it.

Must have just imagined it when Leo Ulloa called the Community Shield 'the all important game for us' then. 

If you think that people will remember a league game between Leicester and Hull over a Community Shield game I think you are a bit deluded.

I genuinely can't believe people think a solitary league game against Hull City, which we are favourites to win anyway, is more important than a game at Wembley (vs Manchester United) in which you can win a recognised trophy. There are 37 further league games to play and we haven't played at Wembley in 15 years ffs. 

It's not as if our honours list is overflowing to the point we can dismiss silverware as irrelevant or devalued. 

Fortunately the evidence from the intensity at Celtic suggests that the players see my argument and will give everything to win it.

I think it would be nice to win some silverware - as others have said, the cupboard is not exactly full. 

In addition, I think it will help us to maintain our spirit and winning mentality for when the season begins in earnest. 

Also on a side-note, it would be good to silence those who have already begun to write the story of our imminent demise, if only temporarily. 

I went up to the Celtic game and I have to say I was impressed/surprised by the intensity given that it was a friendly...

Its option 3 for us (cant wait personally) but if you are a neutral its probably somewhere between options 1 and 2 sadly.

For example, I bet most people who reads this wont know the scoreline in last years community shield without looking it up.

Good chance to set a precedent that we're not going to flop straight away, occasion at Wembley and most importantly more silverware.

Get that silverware boys!

Guest CityFan 06
1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Is it the actual same trophy that we won in 1971 ??

I assume that winners have their name engraved on it. The more trophy's with LCFC on the better.

You make a good point there, actually. I'd imagine it's a different trophy because of the change in name from FA Charity Shield to FA Community Shield.

That's what I suspect but it'd be nice if it was the original trophy and to see our name potentially twice on there. 

I think it's important for us to go out and win it. Always use to look at this fixture as an irrelevant friendly with the usual teams that are rewarded with this fixture. However for Leicester I think it's a great opportunity to add to our history as the community shield doesn't come within our reach often.

Leicester City FC engraved onto the charity shield or 3 points v hull?

For me personally it's without a shadow of  doubt the charity shield. How many times can we say we are challenging in this curtain raiser to the season. CMon man,let's go about collecting these trophies. Success builds success!

4 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

Looking forward to the experience of watching us at the new Wembley....however I'm not looking forward to watching what Ibra is going to do to us........

ah cmon surely we can take him, hes over the hill :unsure:

I can't believe people are dismissing this as less important than a solitary league game. Just because United and Arsenal fans see it as slightly irrelevant, days out at Wembley and the chance to have our name engraved on silverware don't come around very often for clubs like ours. It's like the Europa League- a bit of an annoyance for the big teams, but those games against Atletico and Red Star are some of the most prominent memories of my City-supporting childhood.

Besides, I think it's the name which devalues it in some people's eyes- I'd imagine it would be taken more seriously if it were called the English Super Cup like in Italy or Spain, but it's the same format.

I can't wait.

Guest Mee-9
30 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

I am personally looking forward to paying £3.00 for a luke warm sausage roll and £5.00 for a pint of cooking larger.

Don't forget 7 quid for a portion of chips that will be harder than those who post pictures of Rachel Riley. 

Archived