Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Do you actually think it's fair to compare Nampalys Mendy with N’Golo Kanté?

As the title says, what do you think about it?

Personally, I've seen plenty of people (not only in FoxesTalk but in other forums as well) who's made lazy comparisons between Kanté and Mendy, mostly because they happens to come from the same country, the same league and supposedly the same position

I think Mendy is fundamentally a different player as the former doesn't have the engine that Kanté does, Mendy sits further deep where he prevents the opposition from getting efforts on goal rather than disrupting their build-up play, runs with the ball far less, but arguably has better vision and a knack for a pass.

No I dont at all, he's his own player and if we put the weight of N'golo's expectations on his shoulders its only making it harder for him to integrate properly.

The only logic for comparison from pundits I've heard is 'he's about as short as N'Golo', and 'well they got him in when he left to play in his position'; asinine

Yes…. In answer to the OP's question

we always compare players that play in similar positions…. They may well have different qualities, but, it's entirely reasonable to judge them based on what they contribute…

3 hours ago, SpazticChicken said:

No I dont at all, he's his own player and if we put the weight of N'golo's expectations on his shoulders its only making it harder for him to integrate properly.

The only logic for comparison from pundits I've heard is 'he's about as short as N'Golo', and 'well they got him in when he left to play in his position'; asinine

Also black.

Dont forget that.

3 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

It's not fair they are two totally different types of midfielders with different attributes, Mandy is not as good a tackler as kante nobody is, we actually scouted Mandy before kante

We scouted Josh low before both. What's your point there?

32 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

A lot of plaudits for his performance today from the media

Thought we carried him. Wasnt involved and very pedestrian. Didnt look to get forward - there were two occasions of him halting momentum and going backwards when there were other forward passes available. There was a clear improvement in play as soon as king came on. 

Archived